Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So how many innings would you have cut him back to this year if you were manager - 200? 190? 180?
    Actually, I didn't even know about the history of September drop offs, so I can't claim I'm smarter than them- not that I would anyways.

A month or so ago, I thought we should have started lessening his innings per start or give him extra days off. I did not look so far ahead as to plan it so he wasn't slated to pitch game 162.

A couple of weeks back, I suggested we start giving Sale at least 1 day extra before each start. I'd have given him 2 days off before that great start 2 games ago and timed it so he had 1 less start. He'd have started game 1 or 2 vs HOU as his last start.

Overall, I estimate I'd have pitched him 12-18 less innings this year. I am fully aware the idea might not have made any difference, and if we need him game 162, I'd be throwing up somewhere as Porcello gives up a 3 run first inning HR in the clinching game.

Legend
    Merloni just said Sale Astros hasn't faced the Astros this year, he almost guarantees they will have problems seeing him the 1st time. What does he know he only played the game.
    Kind of Pitcher, hard to pick up the ball when you never faced him. Easier to time with his motion, the more you see him.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.

The only way he pitches Sunday is if the Sox haven't clinched. Meanwhile, he does have to prepare as if he were going to pitch (side throwing, etc.,). If the Sox are even or up by 1 after Saturday's games, he has to take the hill. Assuming they get that far, that would set him up for game 2 in the ALDS, and with the off days, he could pitch a Game 5 on regular rest.

Porcello would get the start in a Monday game at Yankee Stadium. That does not bode well and has to be avoided. They would be better off to blow the division completely.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Merloni just said Sale Astros hasn't faced the Astros this year, he almost guarantees they will have problems seeing him the 1st time. What does he know he only played the game.
    Kind of Pitcher, hard to pick up the ball when you never faced him. Easier to time with his motion, the more you see him.
    He's kind of an idiot though and doesn't often prove that he has a great baseball mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    1st time through Line-up Opponent's hit .214
    2nd time .221
    3rd time .226
    4th time .276
    This for Sale's career.

I'm lighting the Slasher beacon:

@Shesta_HOF

Spikes worn by Chris Sale when he crossed the 300-strikeout plateau have arrived @baseballhall. Thank you Chris, and thank you @RedSox!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

i guess mark ecco didn't want to buy them.....
    other names i have posted under: none

When you burn a bridge, there's no more crossing it.

Had he rested Sale more, maybe he wins his last 2 starts, instead of going 2-1 or 1-2.

We'll never know- either of us.
    That's kind of the point with winning the division. You rest Sale so that he can be sharper in the playoffs, but you then risk the chance (by losing the wildcard game) of that not being an issue anyway.

It's like saving Kimbrel for the 9th inning save, while your lesser relievers proceed to blow the game in the 8th. There's no sense in saving a player for a situation that may never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That's kind of the point with winning the division. You rest Sale so that he can be sharper in the playoffs, but you then risk the chance (by losing the wildcard game) of that not being an issue anyway.

It's like saving Kimbrel for the 9th inning save, while your lesser relievers proceed to blow the game in the 8th. There's no sense in saving a player for a situation that may never come.
    My point was maybe we don't lose his last start, if we rested him. 2-0 is better than 2-1 or 1-2.