Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Porcello

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The first game is October 5th. That's 3 days off after the last game of the season.

Had we started Sale the first game in Cincy, we could have given him 1-2 days off before pitching a (short) game vs HOU and then 1-2 days off before game 1 on OCT 5th. Now, he's going to get a super long rest of lopsided rest.
    Not with you on this Moon. You had to lock down the ALE first.

They will get creative with side sessions most likely.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Not with you on this Moon. You had to lock down the ALE first.

They will get creative with side sessions most likely.
    Maybe one good long rest with a few side sessions will actually be better for him. Who knows.

My guess is they throw him 3-4 innings vs Toronto on an extra day's rest and then rest him until October 5th.

(BTW, they haven't clinched yet, so do you throw him on normal day's rest so he's still lined up for the final game of the season, if needed?

I don't.)

Maybe one good long rest with a few side sessions will actually be better for him. Who knows.

My guess is they throw him 3-4 innings vs Toronto on an extra day's rest and then rest him until October 5th.

(BTW, they haven't clinched yet, so do you throw him on normal day's rest so he's still lined up for the final game of the season, if needed?

I don't.)
    I think this is a "who knows" scenario.......... but we can light Farrell up if it goes wrong which will be fun.....

If the Yankees were in striking distance...... yea, you would have to pitch him.

THe very very bright side of this is we have a loaded and extended bullpen where we can kind of do what we want with giving pitchers innings in the next week. We are in a really good place to be actually....
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I think this is a "who knows" scenario.......... but we can light Farrell up if it goes wrong which will be fun.....

If the Yankees were in striking distance...... yea, you would have to pitch him.

THe very very bright side of this is we have a loaded and extended bullpen where we can kind of do what we want with giving pitchers innings in the next week. We are in a really good place to be actually....
    I don't see why he isn't pitching tonight on 4 days rest, then he's lined up for a short outing on Saturday and starting game 1 on normal rest.

Deity
    Speaking of Porcello - it was great what he did for us last year but I think that this might be closer to who he really is. A good solid mid rotation kind of guy. In all honesty, I don't think that there really is much difference between him and Fister.
    Sale - not ours
    Pomeranz - not ours
    E-Rod - not ours
    Price - not ours
    Porcello - not ours
    Fister - not ours
    We've done a pretty good job of amassing players that we did not develop I'd say. No impending cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwell View Post
    I don't see why he isn't pitching tonight on 4 days rest, then he's lined up for a short outing on Saturday and starting game 1 on normal rest.
    He needs extra rest not short rest.

We won't need him the last day of the year, so we should rest him 2-3 extra days, start him the last game vs TOR or the first game vs HOU and then rest him until OCT 5th- game 1.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Speaking of Porcello - it was great what he did for us last year but I think that this might be closer to who he really is. A good solid mid rotation kind of guy. In all honesty, I don't think that there really is much difference between him and Fister.
    Sale - not ours
    Pomeranz - not ours
    E-Rod - not ours
    Price - not ours
    Porcello - not ours
    Fister - not ours
    We've done a pretty good job of amassing players that we did not develop I'd say. No impending cliff.
    This is the truth. The W-L record notwithstanding, his numbers this year (ERA, WHIP) are not that out of whack with his career norms. A little below, but nothing crazy (within 1 standard deviation). Career ERA going into this season was 4.20, this years is 4.55; career WHIP 1.306 before this season, this season's WHIP is 1.391).

He is what he is, a #3/#4 starter. People need to stop holding the contract against him; it's not like he held out for it. He was offered a big deal and took it; same thing any one of use would have done.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

All-Star
    IMO, JF has ben 10x the manager since the all star beak than he was before the break.

Re/ Sale: ale calls his own game and his own shots.

Odds are that he will get one 5-inning game before the season ends, and that will be with his full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Sale - not ours
    Pomeranz - not ours
    E-Rod - not ours
    Price - not ours
    Porcello - not ours
    Fister - not ours
    You might be right about this and in which I would be ok with. We might have just expected too much from the year he had last year.

I agree with your feelings about Porcello. It's hard to be positive about him and Fister; especially when the dependence on comebacks has reached the WAY unfair stage (to the players that have to make it happen...we all know who they are). The back to back stinkers by Pomeranz and Sale, turning guaranteed clinch into "Oh my God!!!" has, for me, gotten me really pissed because I want desperately to slam the door shut on The Evil Empire. As an aside, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, before spending the vast majority of my life as a Sox fan; I started as a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers ( about as Sox-like a ballclub as there has ever been in the game); AND my undying hatred of the New York Blowholes began. Added to this late season (big) bump have been the injuries to really key players (Pedroia, Nunez, Betts etc.). I fail to see the depth in the roster that so many pundits speak repeatedly about. This combined with the total lack of production from the bottom of the order is a REAL concern. What is absolutely not a concern is our masterful bullpen.
    Now for the But, and it is a REALLY BIG but. I really believe that the Cy Young Porcello is still in there. I also really believe that the better part of Fister is going to re-emerge at just the right time. As far as the injuries are concerned, I really believe that Mookie will be back VERY soon with a bang. I am still quite concerned about Nunez being able to recover enough to make the kind of contribution we love to see from him. Dustin will be back (at the plate and in the field), probably every other game ( or 4-6 innings in every game); and I have no doubt that both he (especially in the Baltimore series) and JBJ will trash those slumps at a time when the team really needs them. So on balance the Sox will deal excellantly with all of the problems, win the Division and kick the New York Bummers to the curb. In fact, the Houston Astros are in for a reality check at the end of the week; and the Sox will jump into the postseason with both feet firmly planted on the ground ready to take on any and all (Are you listening Cleveland AND LA!!!).

The one good thing about JBJ is we know when he comes out of one of these funks, he is generally white hot for a couple weeks.

As for the Evil Empire, I've said it before but it bears repeating; just putting them in the coffin isn't enough, you have to drive a stake through their hearts (preferable 2 stakes).
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    The one good thing about JBJ is we know when he comes out of one of these funks, he is generally white hot for a couple weeks.

As for the Evil Empire, I've said it before but it bears repeating; just putting them in the coffin isn't enough, you have to drive a stake through their hearts (preferable 2 stakes).
    JBJ is basically a guy who gets molten hot for one month a year and then plays shitty otherwise.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    JBJ is basically a guy who gets molten hot for one month a year and then plays shitty otherwise.
    So what you're saying is... he'll be easier and cheaper to extend before he's a free agent? I see You leopard! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CTSox1 View Post
    I agree with your feelings about Porcello. It's hard to be positive about him and Fister; especially when the dependence on comebacks has reached the WAY unfair stage (to the players that have to make it happen...we all know who they are). The back to back stinkers by Pomeranz and Sale, turning guaranteed clinch into "Oh my God!!!" has, for me, gotten me really pissed because I want desperately to slam the door shut on The Evil Empire. As an aside, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, before spending the vast majority of my life as a Sox fan; I started as a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers ( about as Sox-like a ballclub as there has ever been in the game); AND my undying hatred of the New York Blowholes began. Added to this late season (big) bump have been the injuries to really key players (Pedroia, Nunez, Betts etc.). I fail to see the depth in the roster that so many pundits speak repeatedly about. This combined with the total lack of production from the bottom of the order is a REAL concern. What is absolutely not a concern is our masterful bullpen.
    Now for the But, and it is a REALLY BIG but. I really believe that the Cy Young Porcello is still in there. I also really believe that the better part of Fister is going to re-emerge at just the right time. As far as the injuries are concerned, I really believe that Mookie will be back VERY soon with a bang. I am still quite concerned about Nunez being able to recover enough to make the kind of contribution we love to see from him. Dustin will be back (at the plate and in the field), probably every other game ( or 4-6 innings in every game); and I have no doubt that both he (especially in the Baltimore series) and JBJ will trash those slumps at a time when the team really needs them. So on balance the Sox will deal excellantly with all of the problems, win the Division and kick the New York Bummers to the curb. In fact, the Houston Astros are in for a reality check at the end of the week; and the Sox will jump into the postseason with both feet firmly planted on the ground ready to take on any and all (Are you listening Cleveland AND LA!!!).
    Good post!! I like the optimism. I'm a little scared as our supposed three top pitchers were god awful their last three starts. Thank god for the win last night but this offense might have to put up at least 8 plus runs every game for us to have a chance in the playoffs. And I'm just not sure they are capable of doing that. I'm done with thinking maybe Porcello will be better come playoffs. He likely won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    So what you're saying is... he'll be easier and cheaper to extend before he's a free agent? I see You leopard! Lol
    He should be. It's one of the reasons I think the Sox can re-sign the B's. They aren't all $20M guys.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")