Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Roswell

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It wasn't right after writing that novel.

    He had been accused of plagerism several times, including for The Painted Bird.

    He was very sick and dying, as I remember, before killing himself. He left a note that read....


    "I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity."
    No, I didn't mean to imply straight away, those were the only two things I thought I knew about him.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I was just trying to come up with writers from a similar sphere. I think Vonnegut and Pynchon are overrated as hell.

    I'm not a huge Bukowski fan, but his writing is enjoyable if you're in the mood for it. And yes, the majority of his fans are early to mid 20's burgeoning alcoholics.
    What I hate about Vonnegut is the constant repetition of "and so it goes." Really irritating after a while.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  3. #33
    Philip Roth is a writer I should read more. I really enjoyed The Great American Novel and, to a lesser extent, The Plot Against America.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I was just trying to come up with writers from a similar sphere. I think Vonnegut and Pynchon are overrated as hell.
    That's bad news for me, with Gravity's Rainbow taking up space on my bookshelf for the past ten years.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I was just trying to come up with writers from a similar sphere. I think Vonnegut and Pynchon are overrated as hell.
    I used to really like Vonnegut. I've just recently read a couple of Pynchon books. I do enjoy his writing style, though the books don't really add up to much.

  6. #36
    I'm into totally different genres now that I'm aging.

    I'd highly recommend anything by Barbara Kingsolver.

    My faves are...

    Prodigal Summer

    and

    The Poisonwood Bible (the second book is not that great).

  7. #37
    Frank Hebert rules.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    That's bad news for me, with Gravity's Rainbow taking up space on my bookshelf for the past ten years.
    I read it once and it's sat on my bookshelf for about that long ever since. If I didn't have a commute via subway, I would have never been able to slog through that book. And I've read some pretty long and dull books. I've even regretfully read Atlas Shrugged twice. Gravity's Rainbow is a tough one for me. It was just not enjoyable.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I used to really like Vonnegut. I've just recently read a couple of Pynchon books. I do enjoy his writing style, though the books don't really add up to much.
    I read a ton of Vonnegut and thought it was alright. Once I picked up Hocus Pocus, I realized how formulaic his stuff is and can't read him anymore.

    I've only read Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but struggled through it so much that I don't want to read anymore from him.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Philip Roth is a writer I should read more. I really enjoyed The Great American Novel and, to a lesser extent, The Plot Against America.
    I read Human Stain and it was pretty good. I think I prefer DeLillo over Roth, but my favorite modern novelist is probably Cormac McCarthy.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  11. #41
    If I could only recommend one modern book to anyone, it would always be Little, Big by John Crowley.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I read Human Stain and it was pretty good. I think I prefer DeLillo over Roth, but my favorite modern novelist is probably Cormac McCarthy.
    I didn't like Great Jones Street, and didn't get far with Libra. I LOVE McCarthy.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  13. #43
    OK, which one of you is RichieFromBoston?

    https://youtu.be/3rzt6U08gzM?t=2m54s
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I didn't like Great Jones Street, and didn't get far with Libra. I LOVE McCarthy.
    Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy are so fucking good. I don't care how many shitty movies are made from McCarthy books. The books will always be great.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy are so fucking good. I don't care how many shitty movies are made from McCarthy books. The books will always be great.
    There was nothing shitty about No Country For Old Men.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •