Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 115 of 115

Thread: 9/25 vs Toronto

  1. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Our medical staff stinks.
    Why did Farrell let him finish up that at bat though?

    After he twisted his knee, they should have sent him to the showers.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  2. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    honestly i could not believe nunie wasnt pulled from the game right then and there. we needed the guy for the post season. not game# 156. the second he crumpled on that swing he needed to be removed.
    Either our medical staff is awful or they thought it wasn't too serious...... Either way it was stupid to not pull him immediately.... Could be the difference whether he makes the playoffs or not..... Some injuries you get the player out of the game right away and rest him....... Others if it's just mild they can be ok.... But generally an injury regardless how serious it is or not (even a mild spasm) you should get the player out asap to stay on the safe side. I didn't personally see it but from the other posters on the board it didn't sound good.

  3. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Why did Farrell let him finish up that at bat though?

    After he twisted his knee, they should have sent him to the showers.
    One of his 2 brain cells was probably in need of recharging.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  4. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    One of his 2 brain cells was probably in need of recharging.
    Eck and Remy had a lot to say about that decision too. Their point was that you couldn't learn anything about Nunez's knee when Nunez jogged down the 3b line to show that he was ok. It's baffling that he wouldn't just talk him out of staying in and say "we need you for the playoffs."
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  5. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    This concerns me a lot. IIRC this is the second time in the recent past that Farrell has let the players make a decision for him. The first was when JF wanted to pull Sale and Sale talked him out of it.

    I can understand Nunez wanting to stay in the game but that should not be his call.

    I dunno... maybe this post is because I still have flashbacks of Grady Little talking with Pedro. :-(
    Actually, Pedro was right! Had (whats-his-name-thank-god-i've-forgotten) made decent contact, which he did not, it would have been a routine lazy fly ball to center and Little would have been hailed as a genius.

  6. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Actually, Pedro was right! Had (whats-his-name-thank-god-i've-forgotten) made decent contact, which he did not, it would have been a routine lazy fly ball to center and Little would have been hailed as a genius.
    But results do matter. Flash forward a year, if Ortiz makes decent contact in the 14th inning of game 5, it's an easy fly to center and the game continues to who knows what result. Instead it was one of the early notches in his "clutch" belt.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

  7. #112
    FWIW, I played for a short time with a guy who said he had a piece of loose cartilage floating around in his knee. He'd be chasing a ball and suddenly go down like he'd been shot with a gun. Then he'd lie there for a minute manipulating that piece of cartilage until it was out of the way and then he'd be up and playing again.

    I don't have any knowledge of what's going on inside Nunez' knee and there's NO F-ing way I'd have let him finish that AB, but if that's his problem that may be the argument he used to stay in the game.
    Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

  8. #113
    I like to error ( if necessary ) on the side of caution so I would have pulled him with an eye for the playoffs.

    However, none of us know the exact nature and severity of his injury and it's current status.

    The decision to let him continue was made by people who know more details than any of us. Maybe Farrell is right that it was unlikely that he would aggravate the injury by
    remaining in the game.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  9. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I like to error ( if necessary ) on the side of caution so I would have pulled him with an eye for the playoffs.

    However, none of us know the exact nature and severity of his injury and it's current status.

    The decision to let him continue was made by people who know more details than any of us. Maybe Farrell is right that it was unlikely that he would aggravate the injury by
    remaining in the game.
    That's how I see it too. I just find it hard to second guess guys with more information and more experience. Eck and Remy are paid to discuss stuff like that, whether or not they second guess Farrell. Heck, it's a good story precisely because Nunez was returning from the DL and is pretty valuable. Funny no one has pointed out that Farrell brought him back as the DH to minimize the risk to the knee. Plus he had him run the bases Sunday to demonstrate how the knee was affecting him. There is no way, no how Nunez had not taken plenty of swings at real pitches during his time on the DL. Plus this. I think the damage was done on that first swing and that the second swing and the line out did no further damage. If there was an error, it was bringing Nunez back too soon, but a lot of people who should know thought he was ready, and indeed so he appeared in his first at bat when he doubled and later scored.

  10. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    That's how I see it too. I just find it hard to second guess guys with more information and more experience. Eck and Remy are paid to discuss stuff like that, whether or not they second guess Farrell. Heck, it's a good story precisely because Nunez was returning from the DL and is pretty valuable. Funny no one has pointed out that Farrell brought him back as the DH to minimize the risk to the knee. Plus he had him run the bases Sunday to demonstrate how the knee was affecting him. There is no way, no how Nunez had not taken plenty of swings at real pitches during his time on the DL. Plus this. I think the damage was done on that first swing and that the second swing and the line out did no further damage. If there was an error, it was bringing Nunez back too soon, but a lot of people who should know thought he was ready, and indeed so he appeared in his first at bat when he doubled and later scored.
    I second that..... Never want to rush a player back from an injury that we don't quite understand...... Always frustrating from a fans view seeing a good player get hurt and waiting for him to come back. Reminds me of COLTS fans wanting Luck back to play now and everyone thinking he is fine.... You rush a player back too soon from injury or surgery and it could take them out even longer or ruin their career permanently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •