Is it too late to get Quintana?

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Pom and Sale and hope for hail
    Well played. +2 points
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Sale Pomeranz Porcello

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    We just count differently. I assume a pitcher begins to rest his arm the instant the game is over. Assuming the next game is at the same time of day (7 pm and 7 pm), that's 20 hours of rest plus the three days in between.
    We don’t count differently. When you hear a player goes on 3 days rest, it’s in the situation you describe.

You will need two wins from Sale to win the series. Pom has shown little lately, so you may not be able to count on him. Your best #3 candidate got torched by your likely opponent. You’ll probably need a fourth starter as well since I don’t anticipate Sale and Pom will go on short rest.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We don’t count differently. When you hear a player goes on 3 days rest, it’s in the situation you describe.
    Then the expression three days rest is off by 20 hours. Or, in the case of four days rest they take away 20 hours for travel or something.

When I look at a starting pitcher's game log, I simply subtract the date of one start from the date of the next, and it is invariably 5 days or 6 days and almost never 4 days. So my numerology makes a lot more sense than the conventional one.

. You’ll probably need a fourth starter as well since I don’t anticipate Sale and Pom will go on short rest.
    are you familiar with postseason baseball at all? i mean, i realize it's been a long, long, long time ago since you had your run.
    if they are up in the series, use a 4th. if you are down in the series, use your ace on short rest. this isn't complicated stuff....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Then the expression three days rest is off by 20 hours. Or, in the case of four days rest they take away 20 hours for travel or something.

When I look at a starting pitcher's game log, I simply subtract the date of one start from the date of the next, and it is invariably 5 days or 6 days and almost never 4 days. So my numerology makes a lot more sense than the conventional one.
    Max, all a day of rest mean is a pitcher didn't pitch on a particular day. E.g., Pitcher A pitches a game on a Sunday. With no off days in the teams schedule, his next scheduled would be Friday (with Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu counting as days of rest). Another way of putting it is he pitches every 5th day (which is what your 5-6 day calculation is telling you).

Back in the day, teams had 4 man rotations and pitchers used to go every 4th day, meaning 3 days of rest between starts. That's how they used to start about 40 games a year. With modern 5 man rotations, it bumps up one.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    You will need two wins from Sale to win the series. Pom has shown little lately, so you may not be able to count on him. Your best #3 candidate got torched by your likely opponent. You’ll probably need a fourth starter as well since I don’t anticipate Sale and Pom will go on short rest.
    Yeah that 1.47 ERA I his 3 starts before Toronto was pretty boding. Do you make all your judgements based on one start?

Pomeranz has 2.20ERA in September. I am certain this means you also think Severino (2.10ERA in September) is equally suspect...

Gray's FIP since coming to the Yankees is 4.87. http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...-09-28&season=

I'm glad he's not on our postseason roster. Trading for him would have been a bad move for this organization imo. The Yanks could dump those prospects without worrying, the Sox had a more bare cupboard to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yeah that 1.47 ERA I his 3 starts before Toronto was pretty boding. Do you make all your judgements based on one start?

Pomeranz has 2.20ERA in September. I am certain this means you also think Severino (2.10ERA in September) is equally suspect...
    Pom is fine. Sale will be fine with rest. ERod will be fine too.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Pom, sale, price
    feel better with price than any of porcello, fister, erod

Quote Originally Posted by RichGarces2015 View Post
    Pom, sale, price
    feel better with price than any of porcello, fister, erod
    Would love for this to happen. But, it’s not going to. They’re treating Price delicately and they’ve ran out of time to stretch him out.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Would love for this to happen. But, it’s not going to. They’re treating Price delicately and they’ve ran out of time to stretch him out.
    I could see Price being piggy-backed with Porcillo or Fister.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully