Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DD be fired?

Our farm is certainly much weaker than when DD took over the reigns. Despite the low draft picks and restricted international signing abilities, I was rather impressed by the players we picked up this year. I still think we will hit a cliff in 2-3 years, but I like some of our young prospects...most are far away from the bigs.

Age Prospect
    16 Daniel Flores & Danny Diaz
    18 Bryan Mata
    19 Jay Groome, Cole Brannen, Alex Scherff & Roniel Raudes
    21 Tanner Houck, Josh Ockimey & CJ Chatham
    22 Michael Chavis & Bobby Dalbec

Years of control for these young players:
    5+ years Devers (20)
    5 years: Beni (22)
    3-4 yrs: ERod (24)
    3 years: Betts (24)
    2 years: Bogey (24)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I thought no we all know how I feel about desperate dave, he is a turd in the punch bowl.

So let's talk about his options for our depleted farm system.

Our major league club is good enough to be among the best in baseball, but lacks the depth and is handcuffed by bananas like pedroia (that are eternally injured) to win it all.

Bottom line we are drafting 24 and later for the next couple of years. That means a lot of future major league relievers (houck for example) and maybe one steal per year (scriff for example this year)

So that brings us to the international market. At least desperate dave was smart enough to trade for international signing dollars.
    If we use it to sign ohtani, that is a major score, if not, desperate dave has to hit on some major international signings. (Flores for example)

The last way to improve the farm system is a major sell off in a couple of years by desperate dave's replacement.
    Because admit it or not, desperate dave is really Nero is disguise. The match has already been lit. And Red Sox nation is Rome!
    I'm guessing you were a big fan of basement benny.

basement benny bequeathed primo prospects, pitiful pitchers, crippling contracts.

Rings with Sox:

Theo: 2/9 (.222)

Ben: 1/4 (.250)

DD: 0/2 (.000)

These numbers aren't everything. I get that.

Playoff Appearances:

Theo 6/9 (.667)

Ben: 1/4 (.250)

DD: 2/2 (1.000)

This has great meaning, too.

Also, what was the state of the team and farm when the GM took over, and what was the state when they left?

None of these GM inherited a horrible team AND farm. Some had more of one than the other. This is a bit more subjective when judging.

It's interesting that Cashman built the current Yankees team by taking a page out of Ben's and Theo's book. Now that Cash is out under the reigns of Old George, he can build the franchise the way he wants to. Call Ben and Theo puppets all you want, but they knew how to build a team. Had they been given the autonomy that they should have had, we would have seen true genius at work here, like we saw once Theo went to the Cubs.

Yes, I blame Larry for most of those large free agent contracts that didn't work out. Why? Because they clearly go against the way Ben and Theo operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's interesting that Cashman built the current Yankees team by taking a page out of Ben's and Theo's book. Now that Cash is out under the reigns of Old George, he can build the franchise the way he wants to. Call Ben and Theo puppets all you want, but they knew how to build a team. Had they been given the autonomy that they should have had, we would have seen true genius at work here, like we saw once Theo went to the Cubs.

Yes, I blame Larry for most of those large free agent contracts that didn't work out. Why? Because they clearly go against the way Ben and Theo operate.
    Theo did admit, "We made mistakes with free agency", so I think he was on board with Offerman, Manny, Lugo, CC, Lackey and the AGon trade and extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

I certainly agree about Theo, but I'm not sure there's enough evidence to say exactly how Ben operates. If Larry was making so many moves, then Ben was kind of a puppet. And it's important to note that Ben has not had any other experience as a GM to evaluate him on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I certainly agree about Theo, but I'm not sure there's enough evidence to say exactly how Ben operates. If Larry was making so many moves, then Ben was kind of a puppet. And it's important to note that Ben has not had any other experience as a GM to evaluate him on.
    Every move Theo made went through Ben first. (Just kidding)

By the way, he was Co-GM when Theo went AWOL. Brief experience.

He was also a big part of our scouting for many years before and during Theo's tenure.

There is plenty of evidence that Ben is quite the Barista. There is no arguing against that. As a GM, well... he hasn't had a GM job since 2015 and he was only a GM for 4 years.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Theo did admit, "We made mistakes with free agency", so I think he was on board with Offerman, Manny, Lugo, CC, Lackey and the AGon trade and extension.
    Offerman was a Dan Duquette signing. Remember his surprising press conference? "Jose Offerman is one of the best offensive players in the game."

Many vilified him for that quote, including yours truly. But it did turn out to be right...

Deity
    There is plenty of evidence that Ben is quite the Barista. There is no arguing against that. As a GM, well... he hasn't had a GM job since 2015 and he was only a GM for 4 years.
    A stretch that included onr world series title...

A stretch that included onr world series title...
    Ben's career as a GM is a tough one to assess.

But I'm somewhat of the belief now that he was never really comfortable being a GM. I think he likes being in the background a little more.

Theo > Dan Duq > Ben > D Domb
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Theo > Dan Duq > Ben > D Domb
    Theo >>> Ben > Domb > Duke

(As Sox GM only, for a career Dombo is way better than Ben)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Ben's career as a GM is a tough one to assess.

But I'm somewhat of the belief now that he was never really comfortable being a GM. I think he likes being in the background a little more.
    I would be surprised if he landed a GM spot for 2018. I don't think there are a lot of openings. It took Duke a long time to get another GM spot and he had a much longer and better track record than Ben. Four years and three last place finishes with $200 million payrolls. That's an ugly record.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."