Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DD be fired?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    First of all, the 2017 post-season isn't over yet. You'd think with as many comebacks as we have seen, some Sox fans might realize that.

Second, you don't fire a GM for making the post-season twice with two AL East titles after two last place seasons. It's a lot easier to build a losing team than a winning one.

I'm not even a big Dombrowski fan, but firing him now would be stupid...
    Message boards are a great place to vent though. I do it myself sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    He's the architect of two straight postseason disasters. His ace pitchers have failed in the big spot. He has not replaced Papi. His offense just wasn't meant for these times. Do you trust him to fix the roster next season? Has he done enough to warrant another year or two?

Someone said it's enough just making the postseason. No, not in this town and not with this payroll.
    Frankly, he should have never been hired.

#bringbackben

That said, should he be fired for the way the team has performed (or not performed) over the last two years? No. Dombrowski did his job of assembling a contending team. He can't control how the players perform on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You're committed now. DD has another 2 seasons to put together a playoff excelling team
    Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats 4m4 minutes ago

"This should be a very strong team for the next three years." - John Henry

One down?

If you review history you can see that our franchise has made a series of grave mistakes that commenced in 2011. We had the best general manager and the best manager in baseball and they are now in other cities showing how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Yes! Absolutely.

He is not capable of building a roster capable of winning a World Series. He got lucky in Florida, but now he is a has been without a plan.

All he can do is destroy an organization from the inside out!

Dynamic leaders attract the brightest and the best. Yet in our organization, they all fled the first chance they got.
    LOL I really like you.

I think Dombrowski did his job in putting together a team for the short term, but overall, I am not a fan of Dombrowski's way of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think if you're going to make a big move you have to replace Farrell and see how things go next year. Maybe these guys just aren't as good as we hoped. Maybe another manager would get more out of them.
    These guys are pretty good. 93 wins and a +117 win differential ain't too shabby.

They aren't as good as the Astros. Nor are they as good as the Indians or the Yankees. But they're pretty good.

Personally, I think they are better than what they've shown us this year.

If you review history you can see that our franchise has made a series of grave mistakes that commenced in 2011. We had the best general manager and the best manager in baseball and they are now in other cities showing how it's done.
    I have said it many times, and I firmly believe it. Henry is a panicker. When things go wrong, he has no patience to allow them to right themselves. He did it in 2011, and he did it again in 2015.

IMO, it hurt the team both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    These guys are pretty good. 93 wins and a +117 win differential ain't too shabby.

They aren't as good as the Astros. Nor are they as good as the Indians or the Yankees. But they're pretty good.
    93 wins and a +117 differential and a second straight early exit are barely acceptable under the circumstances, which are a large payroll, high expectations, a depleted farm, a closing window and that whole damn cliff thing.

Deity
    After meeting in the World Series last year...

Deity
    Message boards are a great place to vent though. I do it myself sometimes.
    True. That better be the case here.

Otherwise this thread boils down to "Dombrowski built a good team but someone else built a better one. So he should be fired!!"

93 wins and a +117 differential and a second straight early exit are barely acceptable under the circumstances, which are a large payroll, high expectations, a depleted farm, a closing window and that whole damn cliff thing.
    Well, you know I'm not a fan of Dombrowski's philosophy, in particular the depleted farm and the impending cliff, so you're mostly preaching to the choir on that. Part of the reason that I'm not a fan of the 'win now' philosophy is that it guarantees nothing, and then you're left with nothing but the cliff. We could be as good as the Indians are right now, and we would still be guaranteed nothing.

I can get on board for firing Dombrowski because I don't like his philosophy. However, the playoffs being the crap shoot that they are, I can't get on board with firing Dombrowski because of two early playoff exits, if indeed we do exit early this year. (It's not over yet!)

Exiting early would be extremely disappointing, but Dombrowski really can't control that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I have said it many times, and I firmly believe it. Henry is a panicker. When things go wrong, he has no patience to allow them to right themselves. He did it in 2011, and he did it again in 2015.

IMO, it hurt the team both times.
    As much as I felt Ben deserved a 5 year term to let his plan play out, I feel the same towards DD.

Like you, I disagreed with emptying the farm to such a large extent, and I felt we'd have made the playoffs with ben at the helm the last two years. That is what some posters seem to only want- at least that's what I thought they wanted.

Now that we are on the brink of being knocked out early and decisively, it seems just being competitive was not enough.

I can see the argument that DD built this team for a 3-4 year window for rings- not just making the playoffs, and our post season performance has been a let down, but the guy deserves at least 4 years to play out.

One could argue DD deserves less time than Ben, since his plan was for immediate results, while Ben's was for the longer haul, but not just 2 years.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 10-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.

All-Star
    Many of this team's issues date back to decisions from the Cherington era, from the Sandoval and Ramirez contracts to (I would argue) the botching of the Lester and Lackey trades in 2014. Right now you can fault Dombrowski for not adding a power bat last winter and for trading Shaw, but that's about it. On the other hand, we wouldn't even be in it this year without Dave's additions (Kimbrel, Sale, and Pomeranz primarily).

I would think Dave's job is not even close to being in jeopardy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Many of this team's issues date back to decisions from the Cherington era, from the Sandoval and Ramirez contracts to (I would argue) the botching of the Lester and Lackey trades in 2014. Right now you can fault Dombrowski for not adding a power bat last winter and for trading Shaw, but that's about it. On the other hand, we wouldn't even be in it this year without Dave's additions (Kimbrel, Sale, and Pomeranz primarily).

This is a logical and fair assessment.

I agree.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post

I agree. DD inherited a nice farm and some very good young position players. But he also inherited a terrible pitching staff and some crippling contracts.