Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Baseball Smarts: JF vs David Ortiz

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Cora is just about universally admired in Boston and all the players love him.

    Other than no MLB managing experience there is no downside to hiring him.

    I also like the way he is articulate in two languages. That can't hurt.
    lack of MLB managing doesn't bother me here ... he has managed and GM'd in winter ball, so the job is not foreign

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Cora is the bench coach for a young, powerhouse org, Houston.
    Why would he want this job?
    So he can be a manager for a young powerhouse org.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    So he can be a manager for a young powerhouse org.
    Well, you're half right.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

    It works the same way for stupid."

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Well, you're half right.
    consecutive playoff berths with a bunch of good under age 28 players counts with a fairly adversity-filled season

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    consecutive playoff berths with a bunch of good under age 28 players counts with a fairly adversity-filled season
    And a season of inconsistent, falling to downright anemic, offense.
    They're a good team, but they've got a ways to go before they'll be great.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

    It works the same way for stupid."

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    lack of MLB managing doesn't bother me here ... he has managed and GM'd in winter ball, so the job is not foreign
    Varitek is another name who hasn't managed. Someone at least to keep on the list.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Varitek is another name who hasn't managed. Someone at least to keep on the list.
    Varitek has not actually done the job at all - big gap in experience.

  8. #23
    Cora would jump at this opportunity in a heartbeat.

    Then he would age about ten years in one season.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    lack of MLB managing doesn't bother me here ... he has managed and GM'd in winter ball, so the job is not foreign
    Does not bother me either. I just posted that for those that believe MLB experience may be a prerequisite.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 10-10-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Varitek has not actually done the job at all - big gap in experience.
    And he show no interest in doing so.

    Being a fan favorite is not enough.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Varitek is another name who hasn't managed. Someone at least to keep on the list.
    He had his own issues with dating reporters (which lead to him fighting teammates) and was the team captain during the chicken and beer nonsense.

    Hard pass...
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    There is no contest here. JF takes the mike and gives an English lesson. David Ortiz walks into the clubhouse and gets mauled with hugs, smiles and chatter.

    I can just imagine what it would be like if it were “Manager Ortiz!” Mookie would not be hitting ,260. (he wouldn’t be 0-1 every at bat either). A few chats with Bogie, and he would not be going 0 for whatever in this playoff series.

    Durocher had baseball snarts. Casey Stemgel had baseball smarts, Joe McCarthy and Grankie Frisch had baseball smarts. I am equally certain that David Ortiz has as much “baseball smarts’ as any of them,
    There is a reason most companies train management personnel at a different location than the one they will be managing at. It's hard to come in and be the boss when the people you are managing were your buddies and equals less than a year earlier.

    As for "Mookie would not be hitting .260" and "Bogie would not be going 0fer", what is the evidence of that? Ortiz has never been a manager, coach, or trainer. There is nothing in his history that tells me Papi as a manager would completely 180 everything.


  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    There is no contest here. JF takes the mike and gives an English lesson. David Ortiz walks into the clubhouse and gets mauled with hugs, smiles and chatter.

    I can just imagine what it would be like if it were “Manager Ortiz!” Mookie would not be hitting ,260. (he wouldn’t be 0-1 every at bat either). A few chats with Bogie, and he would not be going 0 for whatever in this playoff series.

    Durocher had baseball snarts. Casey Stemgel had baseball smarts, Joe McCarthy and Grankie Frisch had baseball smarts. I am equally certain that David Ortiz has as much “baseball smarts’ as any of them,
    I really don't get how Ortiz' clubhouse popularity equates to baseball smarts. Or how Betts and Bogaerts were a pep talk away from MVP candidacy...

  14. #29
    You are certainly correct in claiming that David Ortiz has "baseball smarts". So much so that he knows not to become a Red Sox manager.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •