Register now to remove this ad

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Astros 10/9, ALDS game 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Damon was another guy who was really good at fouling off a pile of pitches.
    Manny too.

He used to fuck with pitchers when he was motivated.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    How could you possibly do that? Fine them for bad calls? i.e., calls that are not what a Robo-call would be? If you want them to resemble robots, shouldn't you just use robots? I don't see how punishment/reward would work with umpires, besides making their jobs even more stressful than they are already. It's not like the reason for bad calls is because umpires are indifferent to getting them right nor 'not trying' hard enough.
    Where I worked If a person screwed up too frequently they didn't get fired or have their pay changed. They got "reeducated". In the case of umpires it could mean being sent back to the minors until their job performance improved.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Where I worked If a person screwed up too frequently they didn't get fired or have their pay changed. They got "reeducated". In the case of umpires it could mean being sent back to the minors until their job performance improved.
    OK. But the only way to tell if they screw up is to see how closely their strike zone resembles the robo-zone? Then if that's the goal, it's silly not just to go with the robo-zone. (It would be hard to institute the kind of system the NFL has for judging officials, since, other than the guy at the plate, most umps only get a few calls a game and of those, the vast majority are obvious to anyone).

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    How could you possibly do that? Fine them for bad calls? i.e., calls that are not what a Robo-call would be? If you want them to resemble robots, shouldn't you just use robots? I don't see how punishment/reward would work with umpires, besides making their jobs even more stressful than they are already. It's not like the reason for bad calls is because umpires are indifferent to getting them right nor 'not trying' hard enough.
    Welcome to the resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Welcome to the resistance.
    I hear you, but would argue again two basic points: 1) those rectangles are misleading; the "bad" calls are rarely that bad and even more rarely that influential because good pitchers adjust; 2) umpires are an important part of the game and would be completely marginalized if they were taken out of calling balls and strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I hear you, but would argue again two basic points: 1) those rectangles are misleading; the "bad" calls are rarely that bad and even more rarely that influential because good pitchers adjust; 2) umpires are an important part of the game and would be completely marginalized if they were taken out of calling balls and strikes.
    Umpires have a much larger effect on the outcome of games than managers do.

I know this is late, but, fun season y'all.......... strange though huh?????

Thanks all for hanging out in the super messed up game thread................ I enjoy the season a lot more being a part of the game thread. I learn a lot from you all and have a bunch of fun hearing your take on what's going on. I tell you, any of you suckers who hang out the whole year on this board are super fans and we all have the Sox sickness and it isn't going away till we are done on this earth. We are passionate, I love that in you all.

I'd love to give shout outs to you all, but there are just way too many of you.

I'll probably kick it down in the music thread from time to time until spring training. Any of you make it to Austin give me a holler.....
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I know this is late, but, fun season y'all.......... strange though huh?????

Thanks all for hanging out in the super messed up game thread................ I enjoy the season a lot more being a part of the game thread. I learn a lot from you all and have a bunch of fun hearing your take on what's going on. I tell you, any of you suckers who hang out the whole year on this board are super fans and we all have the Sox sickness and it isn't going away till we are done on this earth. We are passionate, I love that in you all.

I'd love to give shout outs to you all, but there are just way too many of you.

I'll probably kick it down in the music thread from time to time until spring training. Any of you make it to Austin give me a holler.....
    Great post! Love having you around too, my man
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Great post! Love having you around too, my man
    Right back at you......... The Places You Will Go................. wishing you happiness when you visit all those places....... keep writing...........
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Umpires have a much larger effect on the outcome of games than managers do.
    hence Robot Umps Now!
    other names i have posted under: none

I miss games That is all...

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    I miss games That is all...
    No kidding!! I have seven (or eight) months every year when my focus is the Boston Red Sox. After that I'm left to deal with my addiction 'cold turkey'.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    No kidding!! I have seven (or eight) months every year when my focus is the Boston Red Sox. After that I'm left to deal with my addiction 'cold turkey'.
    Watch the Celts. They are fun to watch now. More so than last year.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Is it game day yet I'm going through withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Is it game day yet I'm going through withdrawals.
    I am with you Tyler. I can't wait for baseball season to start. I'm not much of a football fan, so I don't even have that to keep me occupied.

Go Baseball!