Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 months from now. Who will we not see in Ft Myers?

All-Star

4 months from now. Who will we not see in Ft Myers?

And who do you HOPE to see next March in Ft Myers?

Hope to see: JD Martinez
    Hope to see go: Farrell, Chili, Butterbum, Amaro
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Hosmer

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    Hosmer
    Horsner-Devers would make a very nice 3-4 set up. Or, 3-5 if mgmt insists on lefty tighty lefty. Gehrig and Ruth made a pretty 3-4 set. Pitchers beware!

I would like to see Hosmer as well, but at the same time, I want to re-sign Moreland. J.D. Martinez would be a great fit (I think), but where does he play? I don't want to break up our outfield under any circumstances.

Dump Young, Holt, and Fister. Go into the season with a innings limit on Price and Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Hosmer would be a very bad signing for the Red Sox. He's a year removed from being worse than a replacement player. He's a left handed hitter who wouldn't be a power upgrade over Moreland. His BB and K rates were around his career averages for 2017, but his BABIP was insane (.351) , which was a career high by a lot. He's also a defensive liability with a negative UZR/150 for the past 2 seasons. I think he is going to get a huge contract based on numbers that aren't reproducible and in Fenway, his power will drop considerably
    Hal sucks

DD has to take the shiny Holt toy away from JF.

No Rutledge.

No Moreland, Young, Reed, Fister & Davis.

Maybe bring Nunez back.

Maybe sign JD Martinez and Duda to squeeze HRam under 497 PAs and no 2019 vesting $22M option.

Maybe, instead, we trade for Donaldson or Beltre and move Devers to 1B and keep HRam at DH.

Maybe we sign a pitcher and then trade ERod and prospects for a real 1Bman or 3Bman.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Hosmer would be a very bad signing for the Red Sox. He's a year removed from being worse than a replacement player. He's a left handed hitter who wouldn't be a power upgrade over Moreland. His BB and K rates were around his career averages for 2017, but his BABIP was insane (.351) , which was a career high by a lot. He's also a defensive liability with a negative UZR/150 for the past 2 seasons. I think he is going to get a huge contract based on numbers that aren't reproducible and in Fenway, his power will drop considerably
    Whu would his power numbers drop in Fenway. Lefties love that wall!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    DD has to take the shiny Holt toy away from JF.

No Rutledge.

No Moreland, Young, Reed, Fister & Davis.

Maybe bring Nunez back.

Maybe sign JD Martinez and Duda to squeeze HRam under 497 PAs and no 2019 vesting $22M option.

Maybe, instead, we trade for Donaldson or Beltre and move Devers to 1B and keep HRam at DH.

Maybe we sign a pitcher and then trade ERod and prospects for a real 1Bman or 3Bman.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I'm guessing that the 2b SS combo will not be the same. But don't ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Thank you for this post.

I like Hosmer but he is exactly the type of player this team does not need.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    I really doubt Farrell gets fired after consecutive trips to the post-season. If he wasn't fired after consecutive last place finishes, why should he be fired after consecutive first place finishes?

DD has to take the shiny Holt toy away from JF. - Probably won't happen.

No Rutledge. - Makes sense.

No Moreland, Young, Reed, Fister & Davis. - Maybe keep Morleand.

Maybe bring Nunez back. - If he has a clean bill of health BEFORE SIGNING.

Maybe sign JD Martinez and Duda to squeeze HRam under 497 PAs and no 2019 vesting $22M option. - Dumb.

Maybe, instead, we trade for Donaldson or Beltre and move Devers to 1B and keep HRam at DH. - Dumber.

Maybe we sign a pitcher and then trade ERod and prospects for a real 1Bman or 3Bman. - Creative and possibly very smart.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Thank you for this post.

I like Hosmer but he is exactly the type of player this team does not need.
    Hosmer as a target strikes me as the "best available player at a position the Sox need" type of thing. Sure he fits that criteria, but he's strikes me as a weak fit overall, especially for a team in need of more slugging.

Jose Abreu strikes me as a much better fit...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Hosmer as a target strikes me as the "best available player at a position the Sox need" type of thing. Sure he fits that criteria, but he's strikes me as a weak fit overall, especially for a team in need of more slugging.

Jose Abreu strikes me as a much better fit...
    You get it.

Is Abreu available?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    You get it.

Is Abreu available?
    White Sox aren't giving him away. He's the guy they're rebuilding around
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you