Register now to remove this ad

Page 184 of 410 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I recall a writer's label -- "He's a little loudmouth punk" -- in this 2008 ESPN story about Dustin Pedroia

http://www.espn.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455
    The writers gave Pedroia another label in 2008 - MVP...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No one understands the Quarterback Rating.

And the NBA has some complex ones now too...
    I hate the QB rating.. I've never understood why 158.3 = perfect..

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not really a 'label', the comment was half in jest and part of a profile that was very favorable to Pedroia.
    My point was that one fan's treasure is another fan's trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Thank goodness Dombrowski signed Moreland is all I have to say.
    I was not happy with the Moreland signing, but in all honesty, I would not have signed Hosmer to half of what he is reportedly offered.

Comparing Moreland to the Santana deal is a little more difficult, and there's little power difference between the two.

Just say NO to Machado. Please.
    Yup, the Sox are all stocked up with unlikable characters.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He only does if he has a terrific season and thinks he can get more years or if he just wants out of Boston.

Odds are he stays...
    Thanks, now I'm depressed.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Because he overpaid on both counts and because he overdid it.
    I won't argue about the overpaid part, that's probably fair.

But I don't see how he overdid it on the pitching. You have said yourself that we still need another #2 type starter.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    My point was that one fan's treasure is another fan's trash.
    Let's be clear though. The claims about Machado being a punk are mainly to do with some arguably dirty plays he has made.

Deity
    Let's be clear though. The claims about Machado being a punk are mainly to do with some arguably dirty plays he has made.
    Since everything has to be prefaced these days - here we go - I'm no Machado fan but I really think that the impressions people have of a guy like that would change dramatically if he was playing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball jones View Post
    price will not opt out and walkaway from $127,000,000.00 at his age.no one will pay him anywhere near that for four years or even five.who walks away from that?
    At one time, I would have completely agreed with this. However, after seeing Greinke receive a larger contract after opting out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Price do the same if he pitches well this season. Also, if Price is unhappy in Boston, he just might be willing to leave a little money on the table. So maybe he doesn't get quite as much, but he could receive a comparable contract from a team that he would be much happier pitching for.

That said, there are two things working heavily against Price opting out:

1. His elbow
    2. The new CBA penalties

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I was not happy with the Moreland signing, but in all honesty, I would not have signed Hosmer to half of what he is reportedly offered.

Comparing Moreland to the Santana deal is a little more difficult, and there's little power difference between the two.
    I was not as dead set against Hosmer as you were, per se. I was just dead set against the type of contract I figured he would get. Seven years for him is just crazy.

Santana's deal is more reasonable, but even with that, the $20 mil a year is a bit much. Plus, he had that dreaded qualifying offer attached to him.

I am perfectly fine with having Moreland back.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Since everything has to be prefaced these days - here we go - I'm no Machado fan but I really think that the impressions people have of a guy like that would change dramatically if he was playing for us.
    I understand that line of thinking. But it seems like whenever we've signed a guy who had any sort of character/personality issues attached to him, it hasn't worked out very well. Maybe it's because of that old adage about Boston being a tough place to play. But acquiring Machado would make me very nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Yup, the Sox are all stocked up with unlikable characters.
    LOL I know there are several posters who feel this way, but I like the characters on the team. I got frustrated with many of them throughout the season, but I like the team.

I don't like Machado, but I fully admit that if the Sox traded for or signed him, my opinion is likely to change.

My reasons for not wanting to get Machado go beyond my not liking him.

I won't argue about the overpaid part, that's probably fair.

But I don't see how he overdid it on the pitching. You have said yourself that we still need another #2 type starter.
    My opinion that we currently need another #2 starter is based on the uncertainty of Price's (and ERod's) health. At the time that Sale was acquired, he was not a necessity. He was an expensive luxury.

Now it turns out in hindsight that we did need Sale, but Dombrowski didn't know that at the time. The whole point behind giving Price that huge contract was that he was our much needed ace. We didn't need a second ace.

Deity
    My opinion that we currently need another #2 starter is based on the uncertainty of Price's (and ERod's) health. At the time that Sale was acquired, he was not a necessity. He was an expensive luxury.

Now it turns out in hindsight that we did need Sale, but Dombrowski didn't know that at the time. The whole point behind giving Price that huge contract was that he was our much needed ace. We didn't need a second ace.
    Starting rotations are like poker hands; you can never have too many aces.

Was Sale a luxury? Or a creative way of replacing the void left by Papi?