Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 410 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

I honestly think Torres ends up being our 2b long term. Not because he cannot, but because I think Andujar ends up our 3b and I doubt Castro ends up being here much longer

Legend
    Agree, I think Andujar will be your starter at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I honestly think Torres ends up being our 2b long term. Not because he cannot, but because I think Andujar ends up our 3b and I doubt Castro ends up being here much longer
    Agree, I think Castro will be traded within a year. I think he's the insurance in case something goes wrong with Andujar and/or Torres

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And how many of those 5 will actually be available in trades? Correa, Lindor and Seager are legitimate perennial MVP candidates. Bogaerts and Russell are not necessarily on the block, but both are certainly more likely to be moved. The only other shortstop of their caliber who might be traded is Gregorius, and he looks the least likely of the last three. Especially with the late-season conversion to 3b from Torres (which did not play a part in his injury)...
    To be clear: I do not advocate a trade of Xander Bogaerts. The Red Sox would be trading low on a player with diminished trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    To be clear: I do not advocate a trade of Xander Bogaerts. The Red Sox would be trading low on a player with diminished trade value.
    If they trade him this offseason they will be selling very low on him, don't think he's as good as he was in 2015 but is not anywhere near to the 2017 version, I guess his performance should be something in between 2015 and 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Agree, I think Castro will be traded within a year. I think he's the insurance in case something goes wrong with Andujar and/or Torres
    Depending on how the guys progress, we might be dealing Castro in December. Torres would be the ultimate 2b, but we also have Wade ready now and Estrada behind him while Torres recovers from his TJS (he is already hitting BTW). I think someone would pay a lot to take Castro off our hands and in terms of our lineup, we might actually improve. Castro is really the only guy in our lineup who doesn't work counts. Didi may not have a high walk total, but that guy will battle every at bat and makes good contact. Castro doesn't have a high walk total and strikes out nearly once per game. He has also had some nagging injuries this year. I think he could be moved for prospects and we could fill in from within. Andujar then becomes the understudy behind either Headley or Frazier and we re-fill from there
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Depending on how the guys progress, we might be dealing Castro in December. Torres would be the ultimate 2b, but we also have Wade ready now and Estrada behind him while Torres recovers from his TJS (he is already hitting BTW). I think someone would pay a lot to take Castro off our hands and in terms of our lineup, we might actually improve. Castro is really the only guy in our lineup who doesn't work counts. Didi may not have a high walk total, but that guy will battle every at bat and makes good contact. Castro doesn't have a high walk total and strikes out nearly once per game. He has also had some nagging injuries this year. I think he could be moved for prospects and we could fill in from within. Andujar then becomes the understudy behind either Headley or Frazier and we re-fill from there
    He will be traded for sure, but I don't see Cashman dealing him this winter.

In the other hand if he's offered something he can't refuse, he will be gone; I don't think he trades him for prospects unless is a "can't miss" prospect.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    He will be traded for sure, but I don't see Cashman dealing him this winter.

In the other hand if he's offered something he can't refuse, he will be gone; I don't think he trades him for prospects unless is a "can't miss" prospect.
    You won't get "can't miss" prospects for Castro. Most likely he rides out his contract in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I'm not in any rush to give up on Bogaerts at this point, anyway. Yes, he's inconsistent and frustrating as hell, and he may never quite be what we thought he'd be in 2013, but he's had half-season stretches where he looks like a future batting champ and possesses raw power that remains mostly untapped (he did hit 21 HR as recently as a year ago). It's easy to forget how young he still is, having just turned 25 this month.

That's not to say I wouldn't consider any deal for him, but I think if you traded him this winter you'd likely be selling low. (Same with JBJ, to a lesser extent.)
    I'm not in any rush to trade any of our young guys. I'd rather keep our young core with their cost controlled salaries than take on Stanton's 10 years. I really expect that our offense will be better next year even if we don't 'upgrade'.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    You won't get "can't miss" prospects for Castro. Most likely he rides out his contract in NY
    I agree he won't get us a "can't miss" prospects but he has a lot of value, he batted .300 and he's only 27, by the way, his contract by today standards is team friendly (3/38M + a team option). I'm sure there will be more than one team interested in his services. I don't think he finishes his contract in NY, Torres and Andujar are coming to the Bronx in 2018 and they have a chance to be better than him (certainly have more potential, specially Torres)

Deity
    This team needs to get it right. The Yankees on the verge of a World Series berth. The last two seasons have been pretty much failures because of the crappy postseason. Not being able to advance past the divisional round.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    This team needs to get it right. The Yankees on the verge of a World Series berth. The last two seasons have been pretty much failures because of the crappy postseason. Not being able to advance past the divisional round.
    I expect the Yankees to go hard after talent this offseason by either trade or free agency.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I'm not in any rush to trade any of our young guys. I'd rather keep our young core with their cost controlled salaries than take on Stanton's 10 years. I really expect that our offense will be better next year even if we don't 'upgrade'.
    I'd prefer trading JBJ and whatever for Ozuna. Age, cost, position, power, average are all there plus he is a CF. Would the Marlins let him go? Stanton has more power but Ozuna might be a better match for the Sox. I also want to keep our young core but think JBJ would be expendable if we could get Ozuna. Maybe I'm dreaming that Jeter would consider such a trade.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    Winning the division is never a failure. It took 6 months to do and I enjoyed watching it all.

Yes, it would be nice to advance beyond the divisional round. But if they lost in the ALCS, would that be considered "successful"? Ultimately only one team emerges from the season on a winning note...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I'd prefer trading JBJ and whatever for Ozuna. Age, cost, position, power, average are all there plus he is a CF. Would the Marlins let him go? Stanton has more power but Ozuna might be a better match for the Sox. I also want to keep our young core but think JBJ would be expendable if we could get Ozuna. Maybe I'm dreaming that Jeter would consider such a trade.
    I soured on the Bradley/Ozuna trades.

Both Bradley and Ozuna have been worth 7.3 fWAR over the past two seasons. Bradley is controlled for 3 more years, while Ozuna is under control for two. Bradley is older, but not by much (7 months).

So there is no overall upgrade, both players are at the same phase of their careers, and Bradley is under control for longer. Why is it the Sox are always asked to throw in extra players in this lateral/backwards deal?