Register now to remove this ad

Page 192 of 410 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I agree. Status quo is irrational when we are facing an impending cliff. If you have a window, you do your best to win during the window. JD would only cost money.
    It's not a choice between going status quo or not going status quo. It's a choice between going status quo with an already very good team versus making a mistake with another bad contract.

Legend
    Not only that, but you'll be paying so much for the DH role it would be ridiculous. Then if he is signed and you want to move JBJ, every team will know that, and you wont get the return.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 01-06-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Not only that, but you'll be paying so much for the DH role it would be ridiculous.
    Fair point, although by today's standards if you get a DH who can put up 4 WAR each year he's earning his 25 mill.

It certainly highlights what a fantastic bargain Mr. Ortiz was.

Legend
    You got to add Hanley, at least you have to think that Hanley wont be playing 1st, much of the time with Moreland. A tough RHP, you have a DH sitting the bench at 22 million, the other at 25 million.
    Just see if Hanley's surgery worked and stay patient.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 01-06-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's not a choice between going status quo or not going status quo. It's a choice between going status quo with an already very good team versus making a mistake with another bad contract.
    Status quo in a window period is not a rational approach, even if it means a bad contract.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You got to add Hanley, at least you have to think that Hanley wont be playing 1st, much of the time with Moreland. A tough RHP, you have a DH sitting the bench at 22 million, the other at 25 million.
    Just see if Hanley's surgery worked and stay patient.
    Patience can be a virtue, but what big bat is going to be available once all the FA's are signed and the season starts? The supply is limited.

Legend
    What if Hanley's shoulder surgery is the difference. You got him next year, at a decent price, and your in the ballpark for say Machado, or Donaldson. Forget JD.

Legend
    I would much rather sign Nunez then JD. Versatility is the secret, to good FA's.

I would much rather sign Nunez then JD. Versatility is the secret, to good FA's.
    Nunez isn't really versatile though. The only thing he does well is hit the ball. Not that I wouldn't mind having him back if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Patience can be a virtue, but what big bat is going to be available once all the FA's are signed and the season starts? The supply is limited.
    same is true for pitching though,last year we had major problems there and this year our triple a guys wont look decent against the yankees lineup

LOL! And cliff believers would not be acting rationally if they would want to go with the status quo in 2018. I won’t put words in Moon’s mouth, but I think he is opposed to going with the status quo strategy.
    It seems like you finally have my position correct.

I was against trading away so much of the farm, but I was fine with trading some of it. I loved deals like Chris Sale, but not 4 prospects for a RP'er making close to top dollar (at the time).

I hate "playing it half way", so now that we have gone for broke, I am NOT for keeping the status quo. I want us to win a ring in the next three years, in order to justify trading away so much of the farm. Bringing us to the edge and then stopping makes less sense than tanking it for a few year (like the Astros did).

As much as I know we may regret signing JD, I want us to acquire a player of his hitting skill set. With no QO or need to trade more of the farm away, JD looks like the best option right now.

Status quo in a window period is not a rational approach, even if it means a bad contract.
    Yes.

It would have taken me three paragraphs to say this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Nunez isn't really versatile though. The only thing he does well is hit the ball. Not that I wouldn't mind having him back if the price is right.
    Yes, Nunez is like Holt with an OPS 75-100 points higher.

A Jack-of-no-trades who carries a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes.

It would have taken me three paragraphs to say this!

Now that we are agreed upon with regard to strategy, we need to get DD to implement it. LOL!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Now that we are agreed upon with regard to strategy, we need to get DD to implement it. LOL!
    I am very near certain, DD is not thinking status quo, despite the Moreland re-signing.