Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1203

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    One name no one's mentioning and with good reason is Miguel Cabrera.

    He's signed the same years as Votto but for more money. He'll cost less in players to acquire. And while his contact is horrible, it was written by Dombrowski, so he might feel differently. ..
    Doesn't Miggy have a broken back?

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Doesn't Miggy have a broken back?
    He has two herniated disks, or basically the same issue Clayton Kershaw has. It's possible he is fine by spring training. But his triple crown days are over....

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ...and Stanton's luxury tax number is "only $25M" not $29.5M a year times 10.

    Food for pondering.
    Bargain money once Harper hits the market.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Giancarlo Stanton, who turns 28 years old next month, has 10 years and $295 million remaining on his contract.

    Manny Ramirez was 28 years old in December 2000 when the Red Sox signed the slugger to an eight-year, $160 million contract coming off his injury-plagued season.

    Stanton's career line and the latter's line when the Red Sox signed Ramirez:

    GS 4120 PA, .268/.360/.554/.914, OPS+ 146. 34.1 fWAR, 35.1 bWAR
    MR 4095 PA, .313/.407/.592/.998, OPS+ 152, 30.7 fWAR, 29.9 bWAR

    Just food for thought.
    What is your point?

    It's a different market now.

    Bob Gibson was great but David Price makes more money.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Sox are basically over the cap before the stove even starts. How far do they go? Do they just blow past or do they tinker with the team? I think everyone and their brother knows the sox need to add some offense. It will be interesting to see how much cash DD is allotted.
    Ultimately it does come down to how much the Ghoul wants to shell out.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    What is your point?

    It's a different market now.

    Bob Gibson was great but David Price makes more money.
    That Giancarlo Stanton is a Manny Ramirez-caliber player at the same age?

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    That Giancarlo Stanton is a Manny Ramirez-caliber player at the same age?
    Oh.

    So it's a good deal then.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  8. #23
    Desperate dave needs to make the signing of ohtani the most important thing in his life this offseason!

    This guy is the real deal and exactly what we need.

    A free agent that we might consider to replace Moreland is Santana.

  9. #24
    Ohtani is the most important? Right now, the guy is all hype. Just likr Daisuke was at one point..

  10. #25
    Ohtani can be offered the most money in NY and a few other places, not Boston. That being said, the difference is minimal in terms of professional baseball salaries. I hope the Yankees have the inside track, but nobody really knows right now

  11. #26
    @alexspeier

    DD: 'We need to score more runs. I didn't supply the players to get enough runs. That's part of our offseason goal.'


    Here comes JD Mart. Here comes JD Mart. Right down David Ortiz Drive!
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  12. #27
    @redsoxstats

    Dombrowski said he likes the outfield, 3B, SS, 2B, and catchers... so if he's not full of shit, you look at 1B and DH, as expected.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  13. #28
    Dombrowski is doing and saying all the correct things.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Dombrowski is doing and saying all the correct things.
    @jtomase

    That's by far the least comfortable I've ever seen Dave Dombrowski in a press conference. There was little point to any of that.

    @PeteAbe

    Lots of "I would not disclose that" from Dombrowski today. Press conference a bit contentious. Red Sox never handle breakups well.

    @EvanDrellich

    Dombrowski had an opportunity today to set a narrative, explain, even if just generally, what happened, and put issue to bed.


    Bell, you are 100% right. The media is just mad DD let their buddy go.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  15. #30
    Smart GM's will say this. You don't tip your hand on Trades. JBJ 25 AB's in Post Season, 13 K's. .160 BA. Numbers like these you would have to save like 2 runs a game, every game to justify the Defense.
    1st half .280
    2nd half .204
    Too bad just so inconsistent.
    Like I said Tito threw Kipnis out in CF and hasn't played there since College, only reason wants his Offense. Not worried about the Defense, figures he'll be good enough.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •