Register now to remove this ad

Page 272 of 410 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    That is certainly the way I see it also. For some reason, Martinez has convinced himself that he either deserves or is entitled to a longer term contract than the current market justifies. Most of the analysts commenting on MLB radio, television and elsewhere have all thought that today's GMs have concluded based on all the data that long term deals for ball players who will be 35 or older in the later years of their contracts are not cost effective and simply not worth the risk. Given Martinez's history, one can see why a red sox GM would come to a similar conclusion.
    I think Boras may have done JD a disservice by throwing out that $210/7yr initial asking price. We all realize that JD was not going to get that, but it appears that JD was thinking he would get at least $150 mil, if not more. He still might get that, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And we have a very expensive team that can compete for a Wild Card spot if things break right for us.

This is a stupid way to build a roster in a window period.
    Well I certainly don't want Dombrowski bidding against himself for JD.

JD reportedly has a very fair offer. It takes two to tango.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There's no freaking way DD is done.
    I still feel very confident that JD will be with the Red Sox come spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I hope not.

The Sox season ended 114 days ago and so far his most significant addition to the entire organization has been Esteban Quiroz.
    Dude is an on base machine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Man ....I can't even believe it ! Get off work and head home convinced there would be something .....anything ...... Nothing ? I'm not mad now I'm not disappointed ..I'm genuinely concerned now.
    I posted about a week ago that I have stopped coming home with the expectation that there would be any big baseball news. I now come home with quite the opposite expectation. It's kind of sad. LOL

Kimmi ,I hear ya .There has to be 75 players or more who have to be pretty worried about now .I am not usually one to feel bad for rich kids playing a game ...but this year I'm starting .

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think you are probably right. It‘s just that day after day of no transactions is getting me down.
    I'd be worried, if other teams were signing top players left and right, but nobody is signing.

A statement that shouldn't be this difficult to prove in February. ...
    It's hard to imagine us trying to get JD, missing out, and then signing nobody else instead.

99% chance we sign someone significant.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think Boras may have done JD a disservice by throwing out that $210/7yr initial asking price. We all realize that JD was not going to get that, but it appears that JD was thinking he would get at least $150 mil, if not more. He still might get that, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
    So now it's a matter of how long JD Martinez plans to hold out for $25million that he'll never be able to spend anyway...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's hard to imagine us trying to get JD, missing out, and then signing nobody else instead.

99% chance we sign someone significant.

If we miss Martinez, who else left qualifies as significant? Hosmer? Morrison? Duda?

There are pros and cons to each of them, and primary con for each is that there is a good chance they are not significant..

If we miss Martinez, who else left qualifies as significant? Hosmer? Morrison? Duda?

There are pros and cons to each of them, and primary con for each is that there is a good chance they are not significant..
    Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, Morrison, Moustakas, and maybe Holland. I'm keeping Hosmer out of my thoughts.

I'm not sure I'd call Duda and Nunez significant, but if we signed both plus maybe Cashner, I might call that significant.

Hosmer or Moose would be fine with me .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, Morrison, Moustakas, and maybe Holland. I'm keeping Hosmer out of my thoughts.

I'm not sure I'd call Duda and Nunez significant, but if we signed both plus maybe Cashner, I might call that significant.
    I like the "multiple role player" approach. The core of this team is Bradley-Betts-Benintendi-Bogaerts for non-pitchers. I get the appeal of Martinez, but he is a threat to that.

Another name worth mentioning as a role player might be Brandon Phillips. Grab him, Morrison, Cashner and a reliever like Tony Watson, Matt Belisle or, if you feel like a reclamation project, Trevor Rosenthal...
    Last edited by notin; 01-30-2018 at 08:55 PM.

We have the highest payroll in majors. Maybe we should live without another big contract.

I like the "multiple role player" approach. The core of this team is Bradley-Betts-Benintendi-Bogaerts for non-pitchers. I get the appeal of Martinez, but he is a threat to that.

Another name worth mentioning as a role player might be Brandon Phillips. Grab him, Morrison, Cashner and a reliever like Tony Watson, Matt Belisle or, if you feel like a reclamation project, Trevor Rosenthal...
    I think I'd rather have a bunch of shorter term deals than JD.

I almost mentioned Watson with my Duda, Nunez & Cashner suggestion.

I'd be fine with Morrison, Cashner, Watson & Phillips, but can we do that and still stay under the major penalty limit?

Duda will get less than Morrison, and may be had for a 1 year deal. Much more flexibility.