Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1114

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

  1. #31
    @alexspeier

    Very simply, Red Sox front office agreed it was time for a change


    Guess I'm a Speier fan now? Every other media member is losing their shit over the Sox not giving them dirt.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @alexspeier

    Very simply, Red Sox front office agreed it was time for a change


    Guess I'm a Speier fan now? Every other media member is losing their shit over the Sox not giving them dirt.
    Speier is the best of the guys who cover the team every day imo

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Giancarlo Stanton, who turns 28 years old next month, has 10 years and $295 million remaining on his contract.

    Manny Ramirez was 28 years old in December 2000 when the Red Sox signed the slugger to an eight-year, $160 million contract coming off his injury-plagued season.

    Stanton's career line and the latter's line when the Red Sox signed Ramirez:

    GS 4120 PA, .268/.360/.554/.914, OPS+ 146. 34.1 fWAR, 35.1 bWAR
    MR 4095 PA, .313/.407/.592/.998, OPS+ 152, 30.7 fWAR, 29.9 bWAR

    Just food for thought.
    14 years in baseball salary inflation is a few lifetimes. Baring any injuries, or a huge drop in production Stanton will be worth every bit of that contract as Manny was.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    14 years in baseball salary inflation is a few lifetimes. Baring any injuries, or a huge drop in production Stanton will be worth every bit of that contract as Manny was.
    Agreed, and his luxury tax cost is just $25M-- a huge plus to teams near or over the limit--like the Sox.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Ohtani can be offered the most money in NY and a few other places, not Boston. That being said, the difference is minimal in terms of professional baseball salaries. I hope the Yankees have the inside track, but nobody really knows right now
    Otani is getting ankle surgery.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...e-surgery.html

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Stay away. Ankles are tricky and can really become chronic.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  7. #37
    The cost in talent would worry me more than Stanton's contract (which really isn't terribly unreasonable).

    Pick up some SP depth and the obligatory reliever or two, re-sign Nunez (maybe a necessity if Pedroia is going to need surgery and miss significant time), steal Ohtani if you can, and BRING ME JD MARTINEZ... then call it a winter.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    The cost in talent would worry me more than Stanton's contract (which really isn't terribly unreasonable).

    Pick up some SP depth and the obligatory reliever or two, re-sign Nunez (maybe a necessity if Pedroia is going to need surgery and miss significant time), steal Ohtani if you can, and BRING ME JD MARTINEZ... then call it a winter.
    I think Jeter bites at a package that include Bradley and Bogaerts and not much else.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Speier is the best of the guys who cover the team every day imo
    Not to me. If it weren't for the advancement of microprocessor technology that dweeb would not have his job.

    He shows no real understanding of the game, only an ability to state stats and crap he found on his device.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    The cost in talent would worry me more than Stanton's contract (which really isn't terribly unreasonable).

    Pick up some SP depth and the obligatory reliever or two, re-sign Nunez (maybe a necessity if Pedroia is going to need surgery and miss significant time), steal Ohtani if you can, and BRING ME JD MARTINEZ... then call it a winter.
    This is what the best and brightest of TS is saying these days.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think Jeter bites at a package that include Bradley and Bogaerts and not much else.
    Gross.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    14 years in baseball salary inflation is a few lifetimes. Baring any injuries, or a huge drop in production Stanton will be worth every bit of that contract as Manny was.
    Nearly five years ago the eight-year Manny Ramirez contract was valued at $210.6 million, adjusted for inflation:

    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...contract-value

    Inflation over the past five seasons should push the Ramirez value passed the current amount owed Giancarlo Stanton (whose lock-in terms should counter inflation over the next 10 years).

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Agreed, and his luxury tax cost is just $25M-- a huge plus to teams near or over the limit--like the Sox.
    Considering he has an opt-out after 2020, this might very well not be true.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    This is what the best and brightest of TS is saying these days.
    Bullshit.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  15. #45
    ..?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •