Register now to remove this ad

Page 356 of 410 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366406 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And despite all the additional information at their disposal, they still manage to screw up very often.
    In your opinion.

Sometimes, the right decision is made even if the outcome is not the one we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    In your opinion.

Sometimes, the right decision is made even if the outcome is not the one we wanted.
    I was not referring to those instances. I was referring to instances when all the facts are known that the manager still makes the foolish move -- and that is without regard to whether the outcome is good.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That can't hurt.
    Nope. It is strong motivation.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    I was not referring to those instances. I was referring to instances when all the facts are known that the manager still makes the foolish move -- and that is without regard to whether the outcome is good.
    There are plenty of times when we as fans think all the facts are known, but there are one or two we don't know (and aren't expected to)...

There are plenty of times when we as fans think all the facts are known, but there are one or two we don't know (and aren't expected to)...
    That is true.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    One of the stranger trends this off-season was to sign injured pitchers to low money two year deals, knowing full well the pitcher would not pitch at all the first season. The goal is to get a single season put of a good pitcher at a lower AAV. Michael Pineda and Drew Smyly both received such deals from the Twins and Cubs respectively.

With that in mind, two important facts.

1. Craig Kimbrel is a free agent after this year.
    2. Trevor Rosenthal is injured and unlikely to pitch this season. ..

As of today, we have pitchers Thornburg, Wright and Rodriguez not starting the season with us.

We have price’s and pomeranz’s seasons hanging by a ucl.

While I think we have a lot of quality relievers, I also think we could really use another quality starter just in case the youngsters (Velasquez, Elias, Haley, and Johnson) are not able to answer the bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    As of today, we have pitchers Thornburg, Wright and Rodriguez not starting the season with us.

We have price’s and pomeranz’s seasons hanging by a ucl.

While I think we have a lot of quality relievers, I also think we could really use another quality starter just in case the youngsters (Velasquez, Elias, Haley, and Johnson) are not able to answer the bell.
    There's not enough money left to get "quality", unless we get someone who over performs expectations.

I'm against this idea, but we could trade JBJ and Johnson for a quality pitcher and go with JD in LF, HRam at DH and Moreland/Swihart at 1B.

The only other way I can see is to find a taker for HRam and maybe Holt, while we pay a major portion of his deal, and then we can afford a better pitcher.

One of the stranger trends this off-season was to sign injured pitchers to low money two year deals, knowing full well the pitcher would not pitch at all the first season. The goal is to get a single season put of a good pitcher at a lower AAV. Michael Pineda and Drew Smyly both received such deals from the Twins and Cubs respectively.

With that in mind, two important facts.

1. Craig Kimbrel is a free agent after this year.
    2. Trevor Rosenthal is injured and unlikely to pitch this season. ..
    Not a bad idea, but haven't we too many recovering injured pitchers as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    There's not enough money left to get "quality", unless we get someone who over performs expectations.

I'm against this idea, but we could trade JBJ and Johnson for a quality pitcher and go with JD in LF, HRam at DH and Moreland/Swihart at 1B.

The only other way I can see is to find a taker for HRam and maybe Holt, while we pay a major portion of his deal, and then we can afford a better pitcher.
    For real. Hey why not just go sign Arietta? It's about choices. We made the decision that JD Maritnez was needed. I rather give Elias, Johnson and the Mexican dude opportunity to pitch. We got some youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hey why not just go sign Arietta? It's about choices.
    Major penalties for going over $40M over.

Are we really done this offseason ??? Sure sounded like JD may play 60 games in RF ....are we really done ?I don't think so bet we will see the next ten days .The fact remains we would need to toss another 10 to 15 million in payroll to even get Jake ...I think he's worth every penny .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-26-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Plus, steamer projects a 4+ ERA. He was never a good pitcher until he made his way to the NL Central. His velo was way down last year and he became very hittable. He's a good arm, but not worth the penalties. He'll be 32 on Opening Day and is trending in the wrong direction.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Are we really done this offseason ??? Sure sounded like JD may play 60 games in RF ....are we really done ?I don't think so bet we will see the next ten days .
    Are you expecting Mookie and JBJ to sit out 30 games each?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

JBJ and Benny would have to in this scenario wouldn't they ??? Or is someone on the block ?I think several are up for sale but we will see.