2B Pedroia
    SS Xander
    3B Devers/Shaw
    C Vazquez
    DH Hanley
    LF Beni
    CF Bradley Jr
    RF Betts

I guess we could have finished near bottom had we kept Ben, but our farm would be stocked to the hilt. We'd have Moncada and Kopech.

Lets take a closer look at our trades. Part I.

Manuel Margo 2017 126 games 487 AB .313 .409 .722 What do you do with him? Trade JBJ?
    Javier Guerra Padres shortstop prospect....no longer a top 30 in Padre system. He was a top MLB top 50 prospect in 2015. SEE HOW THIS WORKS?
    Logan Allen #13 Left hander pitching prospect for Padres
    Anderson Espinoza #7 Prospect for Padres (injured for 2018)
    Carlos Asuaje 89 games 307 AB .334 .362 .696 2B for Padres
    Wade Miley....do we really want him back?
    Luis Alfehandro Basabe...traded for Ziegler, not on 40 man roster, not listed on 30 man prospects list for Arizona
    Jose Almonte....also traded for Ziegler, ranked 22nd on 30 man prospects list for Arizona, a pitcher
    Aaron Wilkerson...traded to Milwaukee for Aaron Hill. soon to be 29 year old pitcher is on the 40 man roster.
    Wendell Rijo...also traded to Milwaukee for Aaron Hill. Not on the top 30 prospect list for the Brewers.
    Mauricio Dubon...traded to Milwaukee for Thornburg. Ranked 11th in Brewers top 30 prospect list. 2B/SS.
    TRAVIS SHAW...traded to Milwaukee for Thornburg. .862 OPS with 31 HR and 101 RBI. Under team control for 4 years. Just remember, everyone here thought maybe he was expendable. Moncada on his way.

Ok, I'll stop for now. I will follow with White Sox trade. Setting aside the Shaw trade, did we really empty out the farm? Bueller? Bueller?
    Looks to me as near as I can tell we separated a little chaff to get to the wheat. I like what you did here.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    That is your opinion and I'm sure there are people here who agree with you. I do not care what Dave did in Detroit and obviously I don't share your opinion. To date, I am very pleased with the moves he has made for our team - the Red Sox.
    its not opinion

i like some of them too.

i don't like the price deal.to long and to much money and i feel the same about martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nope.

Are you unhappy with our 25 man roster? If so, speak up now.

Don't be a Monday morning quarterback.

Betts, Beni, Xander, JD, Devers, Hanley, Pedey, Vazquez, JBJ with Moreland, Nunez, Swihart and Leon.
    Sale, Price, Porcello, Pom and E Rod (Johnson)
    Kimbrel, Carson, Barnes, Kelly, Scott, Hembree, Workman

Are you seriously going to blame DD for this roster not winning?
    Absolutely not, quite the contrary. I was just trying to clarify your opinion on that.

I have said many times that Dombrowski has done his job in terms of putting a winning team on the field. I am quite pleased with our team. I was quite pleased with our team before we signed JD.

I have also said many times that all a GM can do is assemble a team that is a contender on paper. What happens on the field is beyond his control.

I will definitely not blame Dombrowski if our team does not win. However, I will absolutely blame him when the cliff arrives. And I will criticize him for not getting another starting pitcher if Price, Pom, or ERod miss a good portion of the season due to injury.

So my question is, why are you blaming Ben for the 2 last place finishes in 2015 and 2016? He did his job during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Isn't that your position with regard to coffee Boy Ben -- that it was the players' fault? And your excuse for the players was that their under-performance was an anomaly. There was enough blame NOT to go around.
    This is correct, and Dombrowski will not be to blame if we lose due to our players underperforming this year.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Guilty.

But in my defense this off-season was intolerably slow
    I don't remember exactly who posted what, but from what I can remember, I think you are pretty reasonable in any criticism towards Dombrowski.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is correct, and Dombrowski will not be to blame if we lose due to our players underperforming this year.
    I am glad that you are being consistent. Will all of DD's bad moves get blamed on Henry since he is a puppet like Coffee Boy Ben?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Had we kept our roster intact.

SP Porcello
    SP E Rod
    SP S Wright
    SP Johnson
    SP

Closer Kelly
    Set Up Barnes

1B Sam Travis/Shaw
    2B Pedroia
    SS Xander
    3B Devers/Shaw
    C Vazquez
    DH Hanley
    LF Beni
    CF Bradley Jr
    RF Betts

I guess we could have finished near bottom had we kept Ben, but our farm would be stocked to the hilt. We'd have Moncada and Kopech.

Lets take a closer look at our trades. Part I.

Manuel Margo 2017 126 games 487 AB .313 .409 .722 What do you do with him? Trade JBJ?
    Javier Guerra Padres shortstop prospect....no longer a top 30 in Padre system. He was a top MLB top 50 prospect in 2015. SEE HOW THIS WORKS?
    Logan Allen #13 Left hander pitching prospect for Padres
    Anderson Espinoza #7 Prospect for Padres (injured for 2018)
    Carlos Asuaje 89 games 307 AB .334 .362 .696 2B for Padres
    Wade Miley....do we really want him back?
    Luis Alfehandro Basabe...traded for Ziegler, not on 40 man roster, not listed on 30 man prospects list for Arizona
    Jose Almonte....also traded for Ziegler, ranked 22nd on 30 man prospects list for Arizona, a pitcher
    Aaron Wilkerson...traded to Milwaukee for Aaron Hill. soon to be 29 year old pitcher is on the 40 man roster.
    Wendell Rijo...also traded to Milwaukee for Aaron Hill. Not on the top 30 prospect list for the Brewers.
    Mauricio Dubon...traded to Milwaukee for Thornburg. Ranked 11th in Brewers top 30 prospect list. 2B/SS.
    TRAVIS SHAW...traded to Milwaukee for Thornburg. .862 OPS with 31 HR and 101 RBI. Under team control for 4 years. Just remember, everyone here thought maybe he was expendable. Moncada on his way.

Ok, I'll stop for now. I will follow with White Sox trade. Setting aside the Shaw trade, did we really empty out the farm? Bueller? Bueller?
    i don't hate dave i just don't think his free agent signings are good.his trades are great but thats all he seems to well.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I'm fine with guys like Johnson as depth options, but there isn't really an argument against trying to increase your depth. Pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Dumpster diving can't hurt anyone if you're paying a guy peanuts in Pawtucket with an opt-out.

The difference between those guys and has-beens is potential. Sometimes you catch a guy who has something left, and when you do that you're going to get much better production than a guy whose ceiling is a BOTRS up/down guy.
    ^^ This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Uh, wut?

He's done his best to fill that pen with decent arms every year since he's been here. Starters are pretty much set. Offense is pretty much set. What position has he ignored?

Also, do you remember what Detroit looked like BEFORE Dombrowski?
    He's talking about the cliff that Dombrowski left behind.

I am glad that you are being consistent. Will all of DD's bad moves get blamed on Henry since he is a puppet like Coffee Boy Ben?
    If I agreed with you in the least little bit about all your puppet talk, I might be able to answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball jones View Post
    i don't hate dave i just don't think his free agent signings are good.his trades are great but thats all he seems to well.
    He overpaid in his trades too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If I agreed with you in the least little bit about all your puppet talk, I might be able to answer your question.
    You questioned his leadership and authority on analytics. If he isn't the leader on that, how can you assume that he is the leader on other things that come within his job description?You just like to cherry-pick according to your likes and dislikes. You liked Ben, so all of the good moves were credited to him and his bad moves were blamed on Larry. You don't like DD so you give him no credit for advances in analytics but you blame him for every wrong personnel move.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    its not opinion

i like some of them too.

i don't like the price deal.to long and to much money and i feel the same about martinez.
    all good - i think that a part of me might even agree with you a little bit here although I still hope that these two moves still do work out.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    all good - i think that a part of me might even agree with you a little bit here although I still hope that these two moves still do work out.
    i want them to work out too.i'm just hoping for some extra pitching

Deity
    i want them to work out too.i'm just hoping for some extra pitching
    Don't blame you at all. Never can have too much pitching. I'm really hoping that one of those guys we have gets a chance and gets it done.