Register now to remove this ad

Page 401 of 410 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So what? I think the question is whether Lackey is still interested in playing or not. He hasn't officially retired.
    I just cannot imagine Lackey accepting a minor league contract with any team. He is probably still interested in pitching if he can somehow get a big league deal.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Depending on what we got for marrero, and I doubt it's much, I'd have prefered to put Holt at AAA for depth.

Holt is not a good enough hitter to replace any starter as an upgrade, and his defense is much worse than Marrero's. He's not really th type you should ever use as a late inning defensive replacement either.
    We got a bag of used golf balls and cash not to exceed two dollars.
    Seriously, we got a "player to be named later" or cash.
    Despite the fact that Marrero is better than Holt defensively, he cannot hit the baseball at all. It was the right choice to choose Holt over Devin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Merrero traded to Arizona for future considerations.

Best of luck to the guy. He was the best defensive infielder on this team.

I have nothing bad to say about him.

I guess some people here will have conniptions if Holt remains.

I love it.
    Agreed. Best of luck to Marrero.

As for Holt, I'm glad the Sox did not release him.

I would prefer he start the season in AAA, only because he has the option to be able to do so, but I have no problem with the team hanging onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Hit in the left hip with a line drive. Described as a contusion. Stay tuned and cross fingers.
    Fingers definitely crossed. That's the last thing we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Anyone watch Marrero goodbye ?? This guy will be missed .....I have to say though Holt !!! Dude earned the spot big time and bulked up to provide more pop .I am sad to lose Devin but excited in what we are seeing from Matt Damon .
    Well for several Sox prospects / players losing Merrero will be felt.

Along with Travis Shaw, Betts, JBJ, and Swihart, were very close buddies having come through the system together and have been roommates. These guys were very, very close.

3-4 years ago I saw a story of how they all lived together in ST ( minus JBJ who was married ). They knew all about each other.

So in that sense, losing Merrero is not such a routine thing. I guess being the 24 pick in the draft is no lock to be an MLB star.

Anyway, I saw him play a bunch in Pawtucket. I am sure I saw an error here and there. I just don't recall them specifically. I also saw dozens of really good SS plays. Better than what we have remaining north of AA, anyway.

I think he can be a decent replacement type player. Especially on turf where his lateral range, speed and solid arm can save runs. I think he can hit better than .208. Maybe .230-.245. If so, he may stick a while.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Marrero's bat was just so damn anemic. I wish him the best, as well.

As much as I have been down on Holt for a couple years, I'm glad he's back to form, and I'm fine with him on our 25 man roster.
    Holy shit I about fell out of my chair!!!!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Holy shit I about fell out of my chair!!!!
    I wanted Marrero over Holt, but the guy is like a .550 hitter. It's not like it's a big disparity.

Deity
    I'd rather have Marrero and the $2mill. Should have dumped Holt. Nunez makes Holt expendable, but Marrero is a better option at shortstop than Nunez. ...

If the Sox suffer some injuries down the line, Marrero could be that rare player that actually gets traded for himself.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    If the Sox suffer some injuries down the line, Marrero could be that rare player that actually gets traded for himself.
    I'll miss him because I like him but they have got everything he can do covered. Lin

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Is rather have Marrero and the $2mill. Nunez makes Holt expendable, but Marrero is a better option at shortstop than Nunez. ...
    I agree, and the $1.5M differential could come in handy this summer.

I'm not sure we;ll see much of Holt this year, and we wouldn't have with Marrero either, unless there's a long term injury.

When Pedey and Hernandez get back, I can't see Holt still being on the 25 man roster, so this choice was a short term one anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'll miss him because I like him but they have got everything he can do covered. Lin
    Is Lin the same caliber defensively?

Deity
    Is Lin the same caliber defensively?
    I think that he could be. I'm guessing that someone else probably does also. As you have said before, what Marrero could give us someone else can as well. I don't think that the Red Sox would basically give up on him if what he had they didn't think was replaceable. Holt obviously impressed management and deserves his opportunity but I still think that defense is important to the the guys who run the team as well. Lin could be that guy and I suppose that even Hernandez down the road a bit could get a shot as well. I like Marrero and he does have talent just not enough for this team this year. I don't think that the fact that someone had an option remaining and someone didn't made much difference. They chose to go with the guy who looked better than the other guy in this case. Something had to give.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I think that he could be. I'm guessing that someone else probably does also. As you have said before, what Marrero could give us someone else can as well. I don't think that the Red Sox would basically give up on him if what he had they didn't think was replaceable. Holt obviously impressed management and deserves his opportunity but I still think that defense is important to the the guys who run the team as well. Lin could be that guy and I suppose that even Hernandez down the road a bit could get a shot as well. I like Marrero and he does have talent just not enough for this team this year. I don't think that the fact that someone had an option remaining and someone didn't made much difference. They chose to go with the guy who looked better than the other guy in this case. Something had to give.
    Well said.

I do think guys like Marrero are everywhere, mostly in the minors.

One other reason I liked Marrero more than Holt beyond the $1.5M savings was that we need a late-inning defensive replacement for Devers and Nunez much more than we'll ever need Holt to PH or replace someone for his offense.

It is what it is, and Holt looks to be back to form, so let's hope he can help is some way. He is an excellent base runner.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Basically , Holt beat out Marrero for the final spot. Rightly so. Holt brings more to the team than some give him credit for. As for late inning defensive replacements ; I don't think that is part of the plan. Devers is a rising star. I don't think Cora plans on pulling him for defense late. Let him grow in confidence and develop as an all around player.
    Agree with everything you said except for Devers late game D replacement .....look at my AVi I love this kid but his D is ........sketchy .I would only yank him with a lead obviously but the minute we get it and it's Red Machine time ....id yank him.