Register now to remove this ad

Page 24 of 410 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The one thing your kids showed was that they weren't ready to lead in 2017. With Papi gone and the onus on them, they shit the bed.

If 93 wins is shitting the bed, then what of teams with less wins?

You must add an elite bat to take some pressure off Betts.

I totally agree. With maybe as much as $40M to spend this winter, I think DD makes a serious deal or signing to attempt to solve both problems: power clean-up hitter &
    the leadership we need.

I'll be surprised if we miss out on Stanton, JD Martinez or Moustakas (or someone as good as Moose).
    The 93 wins were because your pitching was nails. You team finished 10th in the bigs in runs and 5th in the AL. They had been #1 in all of baseball in 2016. Your team lost 93 runs from 16 to 17. That is shitting the bed IMO
    Hal sucks

Legend
    J.D.Martinez may well be worth whatever 2018 salary he lands.

The JDM sweepstakes may be decided by the team that gives Martinez the most years.

Is this off-season of slim pickings, how many years are too many? Five years? Seven years?
    Last edited by harmony; 10-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    J. Martinez may well be worth whatever 2018 salary he lands.

The JDM sweepstakes may be decided by the team that gives Martinez the most years.

Is this off-season of slim pickings, how many years are too many? Five years? Seven years?
    Five is okay but 3-4 is better. I am also curious how the market will be for pure sluggers. Will there be a squeeze like Encarnacion faced.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Five is okay but 3-4 is better. I am also curious how the market will be for pure sluggers. Will there be a squeeze like Encarnacion faced.
    JD wont feel the squeeze because he technically qualifies as an OFer. Also, his 2017 numbers were completely bonkers. 45HR in 119 games. If he played a 150 game season, he would have hit 56 homers. That kind of power is special. I know EE got squeezed a bit last year, but JD is 4 years younger and hence should command a much bigger and more lucrative offer
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    JD wont feel the squeeze because he technically qualifies as an OFer. Also, his 2017 numbers were completely bonkers. 45HR in 119 games. If he played a 150 game season, he would have hit 56 homers. That kind of power is special. I know EE got squeezed a bit last year, but JD is 4 years younger and hence should command a much bigger and more lucrative offer
    Of course, he didn't ... and he didn't in every season except for 2015. So that is interesting. He qualifies as an outfielder - but a very bad one. I think he will get 5 years - and if the Sox did it, I could live with it.

Seriously - the Red Sox won 93 games facing a pretty substantial amount of adversity. This was not a year where our projected starting 5 went out and made 130 starts ... this was not a year where we had pristine health. I know the narrative is cute to say that Ortiz left this team flailing in the sea. But the team won 2 less games, with much more adversity - and they won one more playoff game! Yeah they were crappy to Eck - but that does not speak to the product on the field.
    We had identical 93-69 records in 2016 and 2017 not 2 less wins. Counting the playoffs, we did 1 win better in 2017 than with Papi in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The 93 wins were because your pitching was nails. You team finished 10th in the bigs in runs and 5th in the AL. They had been #1 in all of baseball in 2016. Your team lost 93 runs from 16 to 17. That is shitting the bed IMO
    Was allowing 26 less runs also shitting the bed?

668 runs allowed would have been 2 runs from leading the AL last year.

We traded for Sale, instead of replacing Papi.

Yes, our offense was a let down. They failed to meet expectations by a lot.

I'll agree the offense "shit the bed" as compared to 2016, but not the team as a whole.

Finishing 5th out of 15 teams is not really horrible, but when compared to 2016, it is.

JD games played vs EE is a complete mismatch.

JD: only over 123 games once in his career.
    123, 158, 120 & 119 the last 4.

EE:Never under 128 games in the 6 years before becoming a FA last winter.
    151, 142, 128, 146 & 160 the prior 5.

EE can probably play 1b as well as JD plays the OF.

Legend
    JD games played vs EE is a complete mismatch.

JD: only over 123 games once in his career.
    123, 158, 120 & 119 the last 4.

EE:Never under 128 games in the 6 years before becoming a FA last winter.
    151, 142, 128, 146 & 160 the prior 5.

EE can probably play 1b as well as JD plays the OF.
    If you sign JD - or trade for Stanton ... THAT IS THE CONCERN ... there is a significant, troubling injury history with both ... that doesn't mean you don't do it. But there are real medical concerns which you need to be comfortable with.

If you sign JD - or trade for Stanton ... THAT IS THE CONCERN ... there is a significant, troubling injury history with both ... that doesn't mean you don't do it. But there are real medical concerns which you need to be comfortable with.
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...tial_partner_3

At this point, Stanton's injury history is almost as well known as his ability to hit homers. This is the third consecutive season that Stanton has been unable to finish. In 2014, his last game was Sept. 11, when he was hit in the face by a visibly stricken Mike Fiers. Last year, Stanton's last game was June 26; a broken hand got him then. This year, it's a groin strain that stops his season on Aug. 13. These injuries are unconnected to each other, but when you stack them on top of past injuries in 2011 (hamstring, quadriceps), 2012 (knee, abdominal strain) and 2013 (hamstring, shoulder), it looks like Stanton is going to be some sort of sad baseball story, the superhuman talent who just couldn't stay on the field.

Stanton seems to have a lengthier history than JD.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Other than the bean ball what injury history does Stanton have exactly?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Stanton's games played blow JD Martinez away.

Stanton's games played blow JD Martinez away.
    So?

JD didn't become a full time player until 2014.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The Red Sox were the crappiest 93 win team in baseball history. The Yankees were the finest 91 win team ever.
    Post of the day. Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    J.D.Martinez may well be worth whatever 2018 salary he lands.

Five years is too many, but it will likely be the price of admission. I'd be inclined to offer him 4 years at more money per year, and see if he bites. No way would I go more than 5 years.