Register now to remove this ad

Page 25 of 410 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    So?

JD didn't become a full time player until 2014.
    True, but it doesn't bother you that he's only played more than 123 games once?

Look, I'm all for signing JD, and that's probably a better choice than trading a big package for Stanton, but when people question Stanton's history, I felt I should bring up the fact that he compares favorably to JD on that front.

The last 4 years are pretty close though, with JD doing slightly better.

JD since 2014: 123, 158, 120 and 119
    GS since 2014: 145, 74, 119 and 159

JD with 33 more games.

Last 2 years: GS with 39 more games.

BTW, JD did go on the DL with a sprained wrist in 2013 from 7/27 to 9/13, and that same year he sprained his knee and went on the DL from 4/20 to 5/7, so his pre-2014 history is not snow white.

Last edited by moonslav59; 10-23-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Not worried about JD’s injury history.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Stanton was hit in the face in the season he played only 74 games. Not sure if you should really count that in a durability comparison since no player takes a ball off the face and plays right away
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Stanton was hit in the face in the season he played only 74 games. Not sure if you should really count that in a durability comparison since no player takes a ball off the face and plays right away
    please don't ruin a narrative based on false assumptions...

JD has an injury history similar to another JD the sox had....

But who cares. You put him at DH and he likely extends his durability. Also, he costs only money. He doesn't even have draft pick comp tied to him. His big power bat in Fenway would be exactly what you need to rebound your moribund offense
    Hal sucks

JD has an injury history similar to another JD the sox had....

But who cares. You put him at DH and he likely extends his durability. Also, he costs only money. He doesn't even have draft pick comp tied to him. His big power bat in Fenway would be exactly what you need to rebound your moribund offense
    'Rebound the moribund' - that's our rallying cry for 2018 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    please don't ruin a narrative based on false assumptions...
    lol

I'd be very happy, if we sign JD Martinez, Alex Cobb and Lucas Duda. I'm not sure we can do so and stay under the second luxury tax penalty line. We might get just below the line, and then need to make a mid season deal or two. Maybe the second limit is not so bad anyways.

1) Bogey SS
    2) Betts RF
    3) Beni LF/CF
    4) Martinez DH/LF
    5) Duda 1B/DH vs RHPs or HRam 1B/DH vs LHPs
    6) Devers 3B
    7) Pedey 2B
    8) JBJ CF or HRam 1B/DH
    9) Vaz C

Bench: HRam or Duda, Leon, 2 from: Lin, Travis, Hernandez, Holt or Marrero

SP1 Sale
    SP2 Price
    SP3 Pom
    SP4 Cobb
    SP5 Porcello
    SP6 Wright/ERod/Johnson (out of options)

RP1 Kimbrel
    RP2 Smith
    RP3 Kelly
    RP4 Barnes
    RP5 Maddox
    RP6 Workman
    RP7 Hembree (out of options)/Scott/Thornburg/R Ross/Taylor

We may have to let some arb guys go (or trade them), so we can afford everyone. Maybe Holt, Ross and/or Hembree..

A lot of people think Cobb has declining peripherals and would be a bad investment. However he did spank our zombies around at will this year.

I'd put Cobb on my "do not sign" list. His peripherals are really concerning and in Fenway, they wouldn't only worsen
    Hal sucks

slav, there is no way you guys sign Cobb. JD will cost over $20 mil per season, I would probably peg him closer to $25-$27 mil per. If you have $40 mil to spend before you hit the ceiling, then you have to leave a little buffer ($5-$10 mil) for callups and mid season deals
    Hal sucks

A guy that intrigues me is Garza. He is not what he once was, but as a stopgap til Rodriguez comes back, he might work. Plus he brings some leadership,

Larry, I see the sox signing a bunch of retreads to minor league deals. Anibal Sanchez also comes to mind.
    Hal sucks

slav, there is no way you guys sign Cobb. JD will cost over $20 mil per season, I would probably peg him closer to $25-$27 mil per. If you have $40 mil to spend before you hit the ceiling, then you have to leave a little buffer ($5-$10 mil) for callups and mid season deals
    Yes, more likely we sign JD, Duda and some retread starters.

I doubt we address 2B depth, until we see how Pedey and Hernandez look. We ended up getting Nunez pretty cheap mid season, so I think we wait it out there.

Legend
    I understand the Red Sox desire to upgrade an offense that fell from first place in the American League in hitting fWAR at 35.0 in 2016 to seventh at 17.8 fWAR this year.

Still the Red Sox pitching improved from fifth place in fWAR at 18.1 in 2016 to third place in fWAR at 23.9 this year.

Will the Red Sox pitching staff be able to repeat (or improve on) its 2017 performance? Can Chris Sale and Craig Kimbrel maintain their torrid pace? Will David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez, Steven Wright, Carson Smith and Tyler Thornburg return effectively from injuries? Can Rick Porcello reclaim his Cy Young glory of 2016? Does Drew Pomeranz have another 3.0 fWAR season in him?