Register now to remove this ad

Page 356 of 356 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356
Results 5,326 to 5,331 of 5331

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    A high school shortstop who became a full-time third baseman in instructional league after his pro debut, Chavis has improved with experience at the hot corner. He's not the rangiest third baseman but has a strong arm and should be at least an adequate defender. There are some scouts who think he could become a second baseman in the Dan Uggla mold.
    Having a no to low ranged 2Bman is not something I even want to consider.If Chavis is the hitter many think he will become, he can DH after JD opts out or play 1B after HRam fails to vest.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And despite all the additional information at their disposal, they still manage to screw up very often.
    In your opinion.

Sometimes, the right decision is made even if the outcome is not the one we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    In your opinion.

Sometimes, the right decision is made even if the outcome is not the one we wanted.
    I was not referring to those instances. I was referring to instances when all the facts are known that the manager still makes the foolish move -- and that is without regard to whether the outcome is good.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That can't hurt.
    Nope. It is strong motivation.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I was not referring to those instances. I was referring to instances when all the facts are known that the manager still makes the foolish move -- and that is without regard to whether the outcome is good.
    There are plenty of times when we as fans think all the facts are known, but there are one or two we don't know (and aren't expected to)...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    There are plenty of times when we as fans think all the facts are known, but there are one or two we don't know (and aren't expected to)...
    That is true.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.