Sign JD Martinez
    Sign Carlos Santana
    Move Benintendi to CF
    Trade Bradley to Cleveland for Danny Salazar
    Trade Kimbrel to Houston for Kyle Tucker and Hector Perez
    Sign Bryan Shaw
    I like this one.

Deity
    Even the part about trading Kimbrel for a fairly light package?

Deity
    And the part I left out was the last step where the Sox use heir reamining international money to sign as many Braves' farm system refgees as possible. Maitan is not very likely. But maybe a few others from Severino, Gutierrez and Contreras.

Otherise if the Sox need anything in July, they have nothing to trade for it...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Even the part about trading Kimbrel for a fairly light package?
    I'm a little iffy on that part, I guess, but overall it seems like a solid package of moves.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm a little iffy on that part, I guess, but overall it seems like a solid package of moves.
    I know a lot of posters scoff at the cliff idea due to the Sox weak farm. While the cliff absolutely exists, like any disaster 3 years pending, there is plenty of time to take action and multiple options available.

The real cliff is July 31, 2018. If the Sox are in contention as they should be, they will have zero ability to make any deadline improvements with this farm...

Do other GMs have to agree?
    Hence the "LOL".

I know a lot of posters scoff at the cliff idea due to the Sox weak farm. While the cliff absolutely exists, like any disaster 3 years pending, there is plenty of time to take action and multiple options available.

The real cliff is July 31, 2018. If the Sox are in contention as they should be, they will have zero ability to make any deadline improvements with this farm...
    Look what we gave up for Nunez, Davis & Reed.

I think we can get players like them next summer, but nothing like a JD Martinez/Verlander type.

Deity

and there you have it - proof that the gd cliff exists Bel! Some was says it does so it must! lol Keep that old ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I like this one.
    ...but Perez is just a single A crap shoot and Tucker just reached AA. Their value is purely speculative!

(For the record, I'd do this. I've wanted Salazar for a long time and even suggested JBJ for him before.)

I'm not sure we can do all this for less than $39M, but it could be close. We could DFA Holt and trade a player or two to get under the second penalty level,
    but we might also want to keep some salary space for a mid season trade.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    and there you have it - proof that the gd cliff exists Bel! Some was says it does so it must! lol Keep that old ball rolling.
    An equal or higher amount of posters have declared it does not exist, so...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So you think there is anything on tje farm to provide hope going forward?

Right now, there is nothing. but a lot can happen in 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    An equal or higher amount of posters have declared it does not exist, so...
    It doesn't exist YET.

Saying that something that might happen in the future exists is a logical fallacy. Hypothetical outcomes do not exist.

THE POSSIBILITY exists. I don't think anyone is denying that.

So you think there is anything on tje farm to provide hope going forward?

Right now, there is nothing. but a lot can happen in 3 years
    I just don't see DD making a trade like the one you suggested with Kimbrel, unless we are out of the playoff hunt in July (highly unlikely).

That's the part I think makes rebuilding the farm much harder than when ben was here and we were getting high draft picks, had more money to spend on international free agents and were out of it a few times which allowed Ben to trade players for prospects or team-controlled players like ERod, Kelly and Hembree.

If we keep winning, rebuilding the farm gets harder and harder, especially under the new rules.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I just don't see DD making a trade like the one you suggested with Kimbrel, unless we are out of the playoff hunt in July (highly unlikely).

That's the part I think makes rebuilding the farm much harder than when ben was here and we were getting high draft picks, had more money to spend on international free agents and were out of it a few times which allowed Ben to trade players for prospects or team-controlled players like ERod, Kelly and Hembree.

If we keep winning, rebuilding the farm gets harder and harder, especially under the new rules.
    I don't either. But it's something he needs to consider.

Trading Bradley makes a lot less sense than trading Kimbrel, but he is apparently considering that already...