Register now to remove this ad

Page 178 of 335 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Boras has a reputation of getting the most money for his clients, that's a little different from having an excellent reputation for being an ethical dealer. He seems to have done some questionable stuff over the years, based on the stories that have come out. The Johnny Damon negotiations being just one example. (The Red Sox claimed that Boras told them he would give them a chance to match the Yankees best offer, then didn't make the call.)

But he has obviously done very well overall to be where he is today.
    And you believe the Larry Lucchino Red Sox of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    And you believe the Larry Lucchino Red Sox of the time.
    Larry Lucchino is hardly the only baseball executive who has had issues with Boras. If it was just Lucchino you might have a point.

Deity
    Boras has a reputation of getting the most money for his clients, that's a little different from having an excellent reputation for being an ethical dealer. He seems to have done some questionable stuff over the years, based on the stories that have come out. The Johnny Damon negotiations being just one example. (The Red Sox claimed that Boras told them he would give them a chance to match the Yankees best offer, then didn't make the call.)

But he has obviously done very well overall to be where he is today.
    Was that really Boras being unethical? Our Damon deciding the Yankee offer was the one he wanted to accept? I can't imagine Boras not giving every interested party one final chance to bid. ..

Deity
    Larry Lucchino is hardly the only baseball executive who has had issues with Boras. If it was just Lucchino you might have a point.
    When Jay Bruce declared from the draft from high school, he selected Scott Boras to be his agent. He was told by several scouts that because of this, many teams would not select him. Bruce promptly switched agents.

Kenny Williams also refused to deal with Scott Boras for a long time, even going so far as to trade away several Boras clients already on his roster...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We should offer based upon perceived value, not on what some other team is willing to offer. Meanwhile, life and the market moves on. There are stirrings out there with the Braves, with Hosmer and others. The realization is that waiting has risks.
    I don't think that the Sox should get into a bidding war with another team. They should already have in mind what they think JD is worth, and not go above that limit. Theo operated that way. I'm not sure that Dombrowski does.

At any rate, I hope that Dombrowski has asked Boras to give him a chance to beat any offer given to JD before allowing JD to sign with another team. Not that Dombrowski should necessarily beat said offer, but at least give him that courtesy in case the other offer is not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    What if he has several offers better than five years and $125 million? Should Scott Boras play those teams off against each other?

If Boras has a firm offer from the Red Sox, should Boras email that offer to all teams and ask each team to top it?

I don't think negotiations are that specific.

Should the Red Sox tell Boras that they'll top any offer from another team? If so, what should Boras do with that information in negotiations with other clubs?
    In terms of being a good agent, I think Boras should play teams against each other and I think that he should ask other interested teams to top it. He should be trying to get the best offers he can get, then let his client decide which one he wants.

I don't think the Sox should tell Boras that they'll top any offer, but I think the Sox should ask Boras to give them that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Was that really Boras being unethical? Our Damon deciding the Yankee offer was the one he wanted to accept? I can't imagine Boras not giving every interested party one final chance to bid. ..
    IMO, that was Damon being a baby because his feelings were hurt by the Sox.

Not that I hold a grudge against Damon or anything...........

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    In terms of being a good agent, I think Boras should play teams against each other and I think that he should ask other interested teams to top it. He should be trying to get the best offers he can get, then let his client decide which one he wants.

I don't think the Sox should tell Boras that they'll top any offer, but I think the Sox should ask Boras to give them that chance.
    Should Scott Boras grant each team that courtesy?

When Jay Bruce declared from the draft from high school, he selected Scott Boras to be his agent. He was told by several scouts that because of this, many teams would not select him. Bruce promptly switched agents.

Kenny Williams also refused to deal with Scott Boras for a long time, even going so far as to trade away several Boras clients already on his roster...
    Right or wrong, when a player selects Boras as his agent, I lose a little bit of respect for that player. Not because of Boras personally, but because of the inherent message that the player is sending.

Deity
    IMO, that was Damon being a baby because his feelings were hurt by the Sox.

Not that I hold a grudge against Damon or anything...........
    Damon also has no place to play in Boston. He wasn't very good in CF anymore. He wasn't going to supplant Manny in LF or Ortiz at DH. And he couldn't play RF because he threw like a right-handed thrower who was trying to use his left arm...

Yes, he should grant that courtesy to each team that he knows is seriously interested.

Obviously, as a Red Sox fan, I would want him to only grant the courtesy to the Sox, but as an agent, he has to grant the courtesy to all teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Obviously I don't know Mr Boras personally nor do I know anyone who does, but clearly Mr Boras has an excellent reputation in baseball that's why he is so successful. Agents who aren't honest with the parties with whom they negotiate tend not to last long. Remember Boras has to treat the ballclubs with whom he deals ethically and fairly. That doesn't mean that he tells them everything he knows but it does mean he can't deliberately deceive them.
    There are several teams, I believe, that will not do business with Bore-A$$. I'm not sure his "reputation" with GMs/owners is all that high.

Damon also has no place to play in Boston. He wasn't very good in CF anymore. He wasn't going to supplant Manny in LF or Ortiz at DH. And he couldn't play RF because he threw like a right-handed thrower who was trying to use his left arm...
    This was all very true. I was highly upset when Damon defected to the Evil Empire, but the bottom line is that Theo was right to let him walk for the reasons that you mentioned.

But let's not forget the fact that Damon is a big crybaby traitor.

If they ask, why not? (Unless another team says don't tell anyone what my offer is.)

This was all very true. I was highly upset when Damon defected to the Evil Empire, but the bottom line is that Theo was right to let him walk for the reasons that you mentioned.

But let's not forget the fact that Damon is a big crybaby traitor.
    Although Damon did well for the Yanks, we were right to let him go.

We've actually had a very good track record on big- named we let go to free agency-- just before the sucked or got hurt.

Beltre hurt, but we did get JBJ and Swihart as comp picks for letting him go.