Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 335 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    His OPS was 2 points below his career average. I think you are overstating it.
    and a 20% dropoff from his 2015 and 2016 seasons ... really it is about endpoints and whether you place more emphasis on 23-24 seasons than 21-22 ones ...

Legend
    Should we also drop out their peak year? I don't believe in cherry picking stats like that. Your career average is your career average. Good years will bring it up and bad years will have it decline, but it is all the player's career.
    no - but emphasizing age 23-24 over age 21-22 is a fairly natural thing to do ... these are human beings after all, right??

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    no - but emphasizing age 23-24 over age 21-22 is a fairly natural thing to do ... these are human beings after all, right??
    And they weren't human at 21-22? I don't understand that comment.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    and a 20% dropoff from his 2015 and 2016 seasons ... really it is about endpoints and whether you place more emphasis on 23-24 seasons than 21-22 ones ...
    Down years are not uncommon early in a player's career after having success. There is no smooth career trajectory. It is a game of adjustments. You have some success and the league adjusts to you, then you decline and have to make adjustments. Early in a career, these adjustments don't happen very quickly.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 10-12-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    And they weren't human at 21-22? I don't understand that comment.
    they were - and so there is a learning curve, adjustments and so forth ... so a couple of years is more likely to be a better indicator to the future than the more nascent ones. This is not that complicated.

Of course Betts showed up and has risen up steeper - but Betts is also a Top 10 player, so there you go.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I have very poor eyesight, and it became a habit.

It makes it easier to find my words vs others.
    Sorry to hear that. I wasn't suggesting it was a bad thing at all, just wondering.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

With short termers, no season should be dropped. Otherwise, it is just playing games.

Edit: Haven't you heard of the Sophomore Slump? It is a common thing for players to take a step back after some success.
    Yes, and that's why I said the first 2 years should not count as much as the end up doing with players only in the league for 3-5 years. It's a disproportional influence that rarely bares out over a players middle 5-7 years or even their career. Players in the league 8-9 years have career numbers which have large enough sample sizes to not be greatly influenced by their first 2 years.

Of course a player might end up being closer to their first 2 years than the immediate following 2-3 years, but I'm pretty sure a player's 3-4 year average is closer to what their career average ends up than their first 2 years.

The bell curve is a pretty strong indicator for most players who play over 9 or 10 years. It's not perfect. There are often blips and outliers, but all I'm saying is that, if you randomly took any 5-6 players in the the league who have 3-5 years experience, it would be very rare to see just about all of them decline 2 years in a row and see a major decline in the 2nd of those two years.

My guess is it was just bad luck (possibly with some bad influences like poor coaching and losing Papi's influence) and some or most will "right the ship", but sure there is a chance that the 2017 numbers are what all these guys truly are and will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I wasn't suggesting it was a bad thing at all, just wondering.
    I didn't take it that way. I'm not blind or getting worse, but the bold makes it easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Cant give Benni and Devers for Stanton. Bad philosophy. Ceiling too high on these 2. Look at the kids that show that they are in- consistent. More proven that in long run they hit their peak. Especially in the Power and run producers.
    Your trying to get Power and losing at same time. For 2 Players. Now you have to look elsewhere to fill the void. Devers and Benni can easily hit 50 HRS together, Stanton hits 50 its a wash, and a lot of money, now your short a 3rd baseman.
    Start FA, only cost money then work the phones.
    Devers is untouchable in my book. But I'm very much against trading for Stanton. The contract is insane, even if Miami pays some of the freight.

A power bat would be nice, but not at any price. I think you need to add one or two position players, but as for the heart of the order I'm willing to roll the dice on Betts/Devers/Hanley.

Unfortunately, for DD potential is a currency with which to buy experience. At the extreme of this philosophy you get idiocy like Steve Philips saying he'd trade Strasburg for Oswalt.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I didn't take it that way. I'm not blind or getting worse, but the bold makes it easier for me.
    It actually helps me too, even with my reading glasses on.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

[B]I'm not blind
    If you were, there's plenty of opportunity as a MLB umpire.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why do all of you think small? It's not your money. I will spend $125 next year to watch Red Sox play on MLB Network.

My guess is that Sox can spend $250M and my subscription fee will remain the same. So what if it goes up by $25 in 2019.

If we want to win, we need impact power bat. Quit pussyfooting around.
    The Sox can spend more than that, but the reality is that they won't.

It's not my money, but spending crazy will affect what the team can do in the future. And that, I care about.

You saw the financial constraints the Sox were under this year. Much of that was due to big contracts that didn't pan out. So yeah, it would be great to have Stanton on our team. Until he can't play anymore and the Sox can't sign the next Encarnacion type player because of budget restraints. They might be self-imposed budget restraints, but they are very real.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    With the Yankees humbling the Indians tonight we can see at least 3 teams ahead of us in the talent pool. We do need to make moves so anyone thinking we add one bat and stand pat in all other areas is just a wishful thinker. Where we have shown weakness we need to upgrade and do so in such a way that we don't give away the store for 2019, 2020.
    Well the plan is that Dombrowski is going to bring in a manager that will get the youngsters (and the vets) to play up to their expectations. Add a bat to 1B/DH, add a #2 starting pitcher, throw in the positive regression from the current players, and we are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I still don't understand the RS "needs." Leadership?? They won two division championships: this year without their presumed essential leader Papi. Apparently, in terms of season record, 'leadership' is meaningless. They lost the series because they had four consecutive crappy starting pitching performances. Despite that, they won one game, and would have won two had another ace pitcher, Kimbrel, not totally screwed up. Why does this prove that the FO needs to go after more hitting? And how does any of this get pinned on the manager? Getting rid of Farrell or shaking up the team has nothing to do with the team's actual performance (unless you are arguing that getting another proverbial 'big bat' is going to magically make your starting pitchers perform better in the post-season). Then why do it? To appease fans? or sportswriters? or those who want to go back to the good old days which those of us who have been watching the RS for decades know weren't really good days at all? If it's simply to sell more tickets by giving the team a new look etc., isn't that the kind of thinking that brought in the "future fan favorite" Panda?
    Post of the year right here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    DD isn’t an “outside the box” thinker. He’s not a guy who regularly deals big league talent for big league talent. He’s a guy who either deals kids for proven vets or when he rebuilds, the other way around. His only two outside the box deals involved getting Scherzer (huge win) by dealing Granderson and getting Greene in the Didi deal by dealing Robbie Ray (big loss).
    Dombrowski is no Theo, that's for sure.