Register now to remove this ad

Page 186 of 335 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Agreed. And as I say, there's enough greed from all involved, for one group not to be singled out.
    Everyone wants a good deal. If all sides are competently represented there is equilibrium and a true market is established.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I mean from a profession POV, not a personal one. I think agents, by profession, need to be a bit more slippery and conniving. Within the profession. I'm not saying outside of the game they are better/less as a person than their athlete counterparts.

As a slightly connected aside: a guy who did the most to help me out in the last few years, was an agent - whom I would say I was friendly with, rather than him being a friend. He really went of his way to help me for no benefit to himself. I've been inside a room with that guy when he's working a transfer. It was not a pretty sight.
    Come on successful pro athletes have to be every bit as conniving as any agent or attorney in the context of the game. Had you forgotten about the Red Sox "signgate" this past summer or juiced bats or illegal substances on pitcher's caps or the entire steroid era.

All-Star
    I don't know what you want me to say. I can only give you my opinion on what I know through experience and the agent world is pretty murky. I've said they are slightly slimier, but we shouldn't be singling people out. If you feel that's wrong, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't know what you want me to say. I can only give you my opinion on what I know through experience and the agent world is pretty murky. I've said they are slightly slimier, but we shouldn't be singling people out. If you feel that's wrong, we'll have to agree to disagree.
    All I am saying is that professional sports players are percentagely just as slimy as the agent-attorney profession. Truth be told once every one gets the stars out of their eyes that professional athletes are no better than the agents who represent them if not worse.

I know a ton of pro athletes that have tremendous foundations set up and they do so many wonderful things through those foundations.

Agents on the other hand just cash checks and screw kids into leaving my school early regardless of what is in the best interest of the athlete!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I know a ton of pro athletes that have tremendous foundations set up and they do so many wonderful things through those foundations.

Agents on the other hand just cash checks and screw kids into leaving my school early regardless of what is in the best interest of the athlete!!!!!
    Some of the most slimey people have set up foundations too. Setting up a foundation is easy, actually funding it and not using it as a tax dodge is quite another. You'd be surprised at the administrative overhead at a number of foundations. Agents preform a service which is why they exist. To say agents just cash checks and screw kids is just a wild exaggeration and not reflective of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Some of the most slimey people have set up foundations too. Setting up a foundation is easy, actually funding it and not using it as a tax dodge is quite another. You'd be surprised at the administrative overhead at a number of foundations. Agents preform a service which is why they exist. To say agents just cash checks and screw kids is just a wild exaggeration and not reflective of reality.
    IMHO we shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about players, agents, executives, whoever. They're all individuals. Some are slimeballs and some are fine people.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    IMHO we shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about players, agents, executives, whoever. They're all individuals. Some are slimeballs and some are fine people.
    Absolutely the truth. People that we might think are true slimeballs exist in all walks of life. It certainly isn't an exclusive club for the rich and famous.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Come on successful pro athletes have to be every bit as conniving as any agent or attorney in the context of the game. Had you forgotten about the Red Sox "signgate" this past summer or juiced bats or illegal substances on pitcher's caps or the entire steroid era.
    And Apple watches..

I agree. There are bad agents just as there are bad ballplayers. If, however, you look at what Scott Boras has accomplished it is quite impressive. BTW he has set up a foundation as well.

I think there are a couple of reasons Boras is somewhat of a 'target'. One is that he's a figure of power in the baseball economy. Another is that he has celebrity - some of which he has deliberately sought out, with his arguably grandstanding public statements.

Deity
    What about Norwegians? Can we still make sweeping generalizations about them?

What about Norwegians? Can we still make sweeping generalizations about them?
    No, but I think that Canadians are fair game.

They are a crazy bunch!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, but I think that Canadians are fair game.

They are a crazy bunch!
    Very true. I have issues with any nation that puts other country's leaders on their money...

It is a country made up of defeated loyalists to the crown, defeated French, draft dodgers and other assorted losers that can’t get American citizenship or access to our borders.

edit: in the inevitable case that this will offend the humorless, I just want to go on record that I was kidding. I have nothing against Canada or Canadians despite their annoying accent.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 01-06-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."