Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Sign Moreland to DH?

We add nothing from this year's team. We shrink our 3-4 year window- now 2-3 year window to a 1-2 year window- all to wait for Machado?

If we sign a 1Bman, it means Devers stays at 3B.

Machado's signing would effectively be the harbinger of the cliff.
    The rebuild is complete.

Target a bat like JD Martinez, and who cares at this point about the luxury taxes. They have to win with Sale, Betts, Benni, Devers, while they can.

Of all the batters available as a free agent, JD looks like my first choice.

Signing Moustakas would improve our defense by moving Devers to 1B, and keeping the DH slot open for HRam and Pedey.

Close call for me.

I'd rather go FA than trade, but I'm not that happy with the FA choices.

I do think we go way over the limit...maybe even over the $237M penalty level.

Sign JD Martinez, Duda and Nunez.

JD Martinez: 650 PAs--400 at DH, 150 in LF and 100 at 1B
    Duda: 550 PAs--450 at 1B (vs most RHPers) & 100 at DH
    HRam: 475 PAs--250 at 1B (vs LHPs) & 200 at DH (HRam misses his vesting option.)
    Nunez: 500 PAs-- 250 at 2B, 100 at 3B, 100 at SS & 50 in LF

I seem to remember many GMs wanting JBJ last winter.

Rumor was the Indians wanted him as part of a package for Carrasco or Salazar.

slav, that's the hard part to predict. If Henry opens his wallet, all bets are off. If he doesn't, then you're asking a hammer like DD to tinker with a flawed team. The other MAJOR question is whether Price is healed? A 200IP Price would do a lot to cover the ills of your team
    The rebuild is complete.

I would be willing to part with any 2 of the B's except for Mookie.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

Moving Devers to 1st is a retarded idea.

Get Stanton and sign Moreland to a reasonable deal.

That is if Stanton is really on the block.

All these convoluted moves just to add power and runs are not necessary if you grab only one player that brings 40 HR and can still play a position.

Power is the rarest of commodities. Real thumping power , that is. A generational power hitter like Stanton is an obvious move for a team with deep pockets.

Poo-pooing the idea shows real reluctance to see reality.

Without a Stanton type player the 2018 Sox won't be in the hunt to challenge the Yankees for 1st.

Enough of the excuses and enigma shit.

This team needs some jolt.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I would be willing to part with any 2 of the B's except for Mookie.
    Even Beni?
    The rebuild is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

All these convoluted moves just to add power and runs are not necessary if you grab only one player that brings 40 HR and can still play a position.

Power is the rarest of commodities. Real thumping power , that is. A generational power hitter like Stanton is an obvious move for a team with deep pockets.

Without a Stanton type player the 2018 Sox won't be in the hunt to challenge the Yankees for 1st.

How do you make it happen? How do you fit that salary in? Would that impede you from signing Betts or some of your other guys long term? Stanton would be a bold move, but you'd be giving up a lot of talent AND be on the hook for a massive contract
    The rebuild is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Even Beni?
    I might do it for Stanton but I can't see doing it for less.

By the way Doc, you should make a post about the 2018 Yankee payroll like Moon's Sox payroll post.

That should raise some eyebrows.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I might do it for Stanton but I can't see doing it for less.

By the way Doc, you should make a post about the 2018 Yankee payroll like Moon's Sox payroll post.

That should raise some eyebrows.
    Our season aint over yet!
    The rebuild is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    How do you make it happen? How do you fit that salary in? Would that impede you from signing Betts or some of your other guys long term? Stanton would be a bold move, but you'd be giving up a lot of talent AND be on the hook for a massive contract
    Moon is talking about adding $39. mil to the payroll. Ask him.

You know I hate long term massive deals but a player like Stanton is one I would make an exception for.

As far as signing Betts or others I would burn that bridge when the time comes.

After all, the Sox only have two more years of their "window" so go for it or shut the fuck up about winning a WS title any time soon.

Stanton is a pipe dream. I don't like trading away from the team to add when a similar comp is a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Stanton is a pipe dream. I don't like trading away from the team to add when a similar comp is a free agent.
    I don't mean to be rude since I like you but who do see as comparable in free agency?

My idea is may not be realistic but so far no one has presented definitive proof that it can't be done.

Can we let Moreland walk away into the sunset? Please!

We need to add major power, and we only really have Moreland's slot opening up.

Signing Moreland adds nothing to the 2018 team.

Moon is talking about adding $39. mil to the payroll. Ask him.

You know I hate long term massive deals but a player like Stanton is one I would make an exception for.

As far as signing Betts or others I would burn that bridge when the time comes.

After all, the Sox only have two more years of their "window" so go for it or shut the fuck up about winning a WS title any time soon.
    I actually think the window might be 3 more years, but the next 2 are our best shots.

We went for broke with all the prospect trades, so why stop now?

Spend to $236M or even more. All we lose by going over $237 in 10 slots on our draft pick.

My guess is, we can cut loose some smaller salaries like maybe Holt and maybe even Leon and Thornburg to get us able to spend close to $45-50M.

It's Henry's money, and I won't blame him for not wanting to go over $237M, but I think he should and might spend close to that threshold.