Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Here's somethings I found:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...lfish_approach

https://nesn.com/2011/10/ben-chering...red-sox-video/ (See all 4 parts)\

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexrei.../#6453bf173b92

http://www.espn.com/mlb/playoffs/201...boston-red-sox

Epstein, who endorsed Cherington as his successor upon leaving Boston to run the Chicago Cubs two years ago, remains a Cherington fan.

"He has tremendous insights about the game and about people and applies them in myriad ways to make the organization and those around him better," Epstein said in an email. "He is a steady, dependable and understated person who is systematic in his work and his communication but ultimately empowers those around him. Ben was instrumental in building the foundation for the Red Sox's success through his work in player development and obviously has been outstanding in shaping this year's team out of the adversity the organization faced in 2012."

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index...ed_sox_wi.html
    But he made sure to take other better people with him to help him in Chicago.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

But he made sure to take other better people with him to help him in Chicago.
    If there was a better Theo underling candidate for the Sox GM than Ben, I'm going to assume, he'd have been offered the job over Ben.

If there was a better Theo underling candidate for the Sox GM than Ben, I'm going to assume, he'd have been offered the job over Ben.
    Or maybe Theo made the recommendation. We don't know. Human nature is such that if Theo made the recommendation that he took the better people.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Or maybe Theo made the recommendation. We don't know. Human nature is such that if Theo made the recommendation that he took the better people.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm pretty sure that if someone better was offered the job, they'd have said yes rather than continue as an underling.

I guess we'll never know.

Chris Sale being himself today. I guess he is taking it easy. He only struck out 7 in 5 innings. He gave up 2 hits. No walks. Opening day starter for sure.

Anxious to see Price pitch vs someone other than Sox hitters.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-14-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Deity
    But Moon after carefully scrutinizing what Ben accomplished, what does that say about Theo and his recommendation? Maybe he didn't want to face us in the World Series anytime soon. lol-lol- just a little joke all of you Theo lovers. Got nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Chris Sale being himself today. I guess he is taking it easy. He only struck out 7 in 5 innings. He gave up 2 hits. No walks. Opening day starter for sure.
    Trade him while his stock is high!

Trade 'em all!

Start over with Beni and Devers as the foundation, ....err, wait... plagerism alert!

Anxious to see Price pitch vs someone other than Sox hitters.
    Sale and Price are set up to be the #1 and #2 starters.

Sale being the Opening Day starter was a no brainer. I wasn't sure where Price would fall after last season, but I'm not surprised that Cora has him slated to be the #2 guy.

Trade him while his stock is high!

Trade 'em all!

Start over with Beni and Devers as the foundation, ....err, wait... plagerism alert!
    Moreland's contract will be the reason we lose this year. Had we only waited and knew what the market was.......And Holt sucks. I'll take anyone over Holt.

Moreland's contract will be the reason we lose this year. Had we only waited and knew what the market was.......And Holt sucks. I'll take anyone over Holt.
    $4-5M left
    +$6.5M Moreland
    +2.0M Holt______
    $13M for Lynn or Cobb

$4-5M left
    +$6.5M Moreland
    +2.0M Holt______
    $13M for Lynn or Cobb
    We get it, moon, we really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Sale and Price are set up to be the #1 and #2 starters.

Sale being the Opening Day starter was a no brainer. I wasn't sure where Price would fall after last season, but I'm not surprised that Cora has him slated to be the #2 guy.
    Price and Sale are pretty similar in terms of stuff. If I was Cora, I’d slide in a righty between the two so you don’t have similar looks. Also, if you’re facing the same oppponent, letting their RH complements to get two consecutive starts doesn’t help either. If I was Cora, I’d have Sale-Porcello-Price-Pom-whomever

Pom and Price are very different so stacking them isn’t a big deal.

$4-5M left
    +$6.5M Moreland
    +2.0M Holt______
    $13M for Lynn or Cobb
    Why would you ever fill up the payroll to the point where you couldn't make any moves midseason?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Why would you ever fill up the payroll to the point where you couldn't make any moves midseason?
    The mid season move is going to be a starting pitcher. There are bargain basement deals to be had now.

This was one alternative option (maybe in hindsight).

I'm not even sure I'd be for the idea, but it certainly merits strong consideration.

My own personal "what if" concerns signing Moose or Duda instead of Moreland (and Holt). Then, we'd have a lot of money left for summer. My second consideration would be to have signed Morrsion, instead of Moreland & Holt. We'd be about even on the summer spending budget with that one.