Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 335 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Can we let Moreland walk away into the sunset? Please!

We need to add major power, and we only really have Moreland's slot opening up.

Signing Moreland adds nothing to the 2018 team.
    He is very cheap, plays solid defense ( even if he is not really GG ) and has provided just what was expected of him despite playing a chunk of the season with a broken toe.

Make a trade for Stanton and Moreland is a very good fit.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Moon is talking about adding $39. mil to the payroll. Ask him.

You know I hate long term massive deals but a player like Stanton is one I would make an exception for.

As far as signing Betts or others I would burn that bridge when the time comes.

After all, the Sox only have two more years of their "window" so go for it or shut the fuck up about winning a WS title any time soon.
    Stanton's luxury tax hit is only $25M a year for the remainder of his contract.

It's not the money that prevents the deal, it's the money plus the holes we'd open up to get him. There may not be enough money to fill them to respectability.

Beni should get better next year. trading him will not be easy to replace.

He is very cheap, plays solid defense ( even if he is not really GG ) and has provided just what was expected of him despite playing a chunk of the season with a broken toe.

Make a trade for Stanton and Moreland is a very good fit.
    Why not try to improve at 1B, a position where 30-40 Hrs are expected?

Moreland did slightly better than expected this year, but let's not gush over a below average overall 1Bman.

I actually think the window might be 3 more years, but the next 2 are our best shots.

We went for broke with all the prospect trades, so why stop now?

Spend to $236M or even more. All we lose by going over $237 in 10 slots on our draft pick.

My guess is, we can cut loose some smaller salaries like maybe Holt and maybe even Leon and Thornburg to get us able to spend close to $45-50M.

It's Henry's money, and I won't blame him for not wanting to go over $237M, but I think he should and might spend close to that threshold.
    So Stanton is too expensive?

Holt will be back and I don't see the Sox fucking up a pretty good catching tandem.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I don't mean to be rude since I like you but who do see as comparable in free agency?

My idea is may not be realistic but so far no one has presented definitive proof that it can't be done.
    Someone name JD Martinez who is a Dombrowski guy, has 45HR this year in just over 400AB. He hit 29HR in 232AB with Arizona, a much more favorable environment than in Detroit. He could be sign for cash, John Henry got a blank check surely for a player like that.

I don't see how Stanton would leave Miami, what would they wow Miami with to pry him away?

Why not try to improve at 1B, a position where 30-40 Hrs are expected?

Moreland did slightly better than expected this year, but let's not gush over a below average overall 1Bman.
    Who the fuck expects 30-40 HR from a 1st baseman anymore? How many teams get that production from 1st base?

Legend
    Who the fuck expects 30-40 HR from a 1st baseman anymore? How many teams get that production from 1st base?
    Twelve teams got at least 30 home runs from a first baseman this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=5,d

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Someone name JD Martinez who is a Dombrowski guy, has 45HR this year in just over 400AB. He hit 29HR in 232AB with Arizona, a much more favorable environment than in Detroit. He could be sign for cash, John Henry got a blank check surely for a player like that.
    Okay.

If you believe his recent production is who he will be going forward.

I don't see any concerns with Stanton producing for the next 5 years. Barring injuries, of course.

Do you see Martinez being a full time DH? What happens to Hanley? Who sits in the outfield? You think platooning is going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Twelve teams got at least 30 home runs from a first baseman this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=5,d
    How many teams did not get 30 from their 1st baseman?

Okay.

If you believe his recent production is who he will be going forward.

I don't see any concerns with Stanton producing for the next 5 years. Barring injuries, of course.

Do you see Martinez being a full time DH? What happens to Hanley? Who sits in the outfield? You think platooning is going to work?
    Martinez has a 146OPS+ with Detroit over 4 season, that is Stanton's career. That's about as good as there is in free agency.

He plays OF, and that opens up possibly moving JBJ. I don't picture him as a regular DH, surely Han-ram can share duties and be happy right?

Legend
    How many teams did not get 30 from their 1st baseman?
    Eleven teams -- including the Red Sox -- failed to get at least 30 home runs from the first base position:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...lg=MLB&stat=HR
    Last edited by harmony; 10-09-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Eleven teams -- including the Red Sox -- failed to get at least 30 home runs from the first base position:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...lg=MLB&stat=HR
    So that is only 23 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Martinez has a 146OPS+ with Detroit over 4 season, that is Stanton's career. That's about as good as there is in free agency.

He plays OF, and that opens up possibly moving JBJ. I don't picture him as a regular DH, surely Han-ram can share duties and be happy right?
    Maybe.

He has hit 30 or more HR twice and is 31 years old next season.

Legend
    So that is only 23 teams.
    Click on the links.

Twelve teams had at least one individual first baseman with at least 30 home runs; 18 teams did not.

Eleven teams failed to get at least 30 home runs from the first-base position; 19 teams got at least 30 home runs from the first-base position.

Click on the links.

Twelve teams had at least one individual first baseman with at least 30 home runs; 18 teams did not.

Eleven teams failed to get at least 30 home runs from the first-base position; 19 teams got at least 30 home runs from the first-base position.
    Thank you.

You bolstered my point.