Register now to remove this ad

Page 57 of 335 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can we just fire DD and hire Theo part time? You know the baseball God that everyone here kneels to. He did bring us two division titles while not being on Sox payroll. Of course he had nothing to do with our three last place finishes.
    Epstein was either GM or President of Baseball Ops when two of the three longest droughts in MLB history ended. Counts for nothing? Coincidence?

Some of these prospects have dropped a lot since the trades, but here is a list of all the prospects DD traded- listed in order of their highest soxprospects.com ranking:

1 Moncada
    3 Margot
    3 Espinoza
    5 Kopech
    6 Guerra
    7 Basabe
    9 Dubon
    12 Travis Shaw (not a prospect when traded)
    12 W Rijo
    13 L Allen
    13 P Light
    18 Basabe
    20 C Asuaje
    21 V Diaz
    24 J Pennington
    40 J Almonte

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Dombrowski certainly had a wealth of prospects to work with, and he has certainly sawed through them. With regard to the payroll, though, Price has really been the only big-ticket acquisition. Which had a lot to do with being hamstrung by the Hanley-Panda package.
    DD had a lot of prospects. That I grant you. At this point in time not one of them really has no brainer stamped on the forehead. Believe me, I wanted to keep Moncada but i just had to settle for Sale. DD did what he had to do to keep us competitive. Listening to some of the squawkers here makes me wonder what they wanted. We could have kept all prospects - oh yeah but none of them would be playing for us anytime soon. We can of course hindsight every move that ever gets made by any GM simply because that is what we do. We are competitive. We have a competitive team led by a competitive GM who wants to win. We will continue to be competitive in the future.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Some of these prospects have dropped a lot since the trades, but here is a list of all the prospects DD traded- listed in order of their highest soxprospects.com ranking:

1 Moncada
    3 Margot
    3 Espinoza
    5 Kopech
    6 Guerra
    7 Basabe
    9 Dubon
    12 Travis Shaw (not a prospect when traded)
    12 W Rijo
    13 L Allen
    13 P Light
    18 Basabe
    20 C Asuaje
    21 V Diaz
    24 J Pennington
    40 J Almonte

And the ones he traded for Reed? Nogosek and ?

Honestly, outside of maybe four or maybe five guys on that list, we probably won't miss most of them.

But going in so heavy on a closer (especially given our rotation at the time) will never strike me as a bright move...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Honestly, outside of maybe four or maybe five guys on that list, we probably won't miss most of them.

But going in so heavy on a closer (especially given our rotation at the time) will never strike me as a bright move...
    Reed: Nogosek (20th), Bautista (20th) & Callahan (18th)

Nunez: Shuan Anderson (11th) & Grgory Santos (NR)

Half of our current 40 man roster was added in the 2015 winter or later, including call-ups that were in the system but not on the 40 man roster.

Carson Smith is #20 added DEC 2015.

Steven Wright is second in 40 man roster seniority behind Pedey.

Cot's has our luxury tax budget, including benefits at $202.5M.

Arb estimates are at:

$10M Betts (1st of 3 arbs)
    $9M Pom (3 of 3)
    $7M Bogey (2 of 3)
    $6M JBJ (2 of 4)
    $4M Kelly (3 of 3)
    $4M ERod (1 of 4)
    $2.5M Leon (2 of 4)
    $2M Holt (2 of 3)
    $2M Ross (3 of 3)

$2M Thornburg (2 of 3)
    $1.5M Vazquez (1 of 3)
    $1M Smith (1 of 3)
    $1M Workman (1 of 3)
    $1M Wright (1 of 3)
    $750K Rutledge (2 of 3)

We could save close to $5M by trading or non-tendering Holt, Ross and Rutledge.

My numbers are different from theirs, but we'll be going way over the luxury limit, if we spend like I think we will be doing.

We might even go over the second threshold.

MLBTR chat...

Big Boss Man
    5:06 Potential Stanton rough draft:
    - To Miami
    CF. Jackie Bradley
    3B. Michael Chavis
    C. Daniel Flores
    SP. Tanner Houck

- To Boston
    LF Giancarlo Stanton
    IF Martin Prado (Nunez replacement)

Boston take on 100% of both contracts. Does this seem fair & logical in your view?

Jason Martinez
    5:09 That would be about what I'd expect if they took on the entire deal. Not sure if they'd have to take on Prado's contract in that deal, although I can see the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    can we just fire dd and hire theo part time? You know the baseball god that everyone here kneels to. He did bring us two division titles while not being on sox payroll. Of course he had nothing to do with our three last place finishes.
    poty
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    DD had a lot of prospects. That I grant you. At this point in time not one of them really has no brainer stamped on the forehead. Believe me, I wanted to keep Moncada but i just had to settle for Sale. DD did what he had to do to keep us competitive. Listening to some of the squawkers here makes me wonder what they wanted. We could have kept all prospects - oh yeah but none of them would be playing for us anytime soon. We can of course hindsight every move that ever gets made by any GM simply because that is what we do. We are competitive. We have a competitive team led by a competitive GM who wants to win. We will continue to be competitive in the future.
    Amen.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    But he gets no credit for 2 Division titles. Just go ask Kimmi. It was all Theo. And if we win it all this year? Theo. Using that logic, I'll blame it on Ben if we don't win it all this year.

I don't get the part about our rotation at the time.

Epstein was either GM or President of Baseball Ops when two of the three longest droughts in MLB history ended. Counts for nothing? Coincidence?
    He also did a a decent job of rebuilding the Cubs.
    But, I guess it's silly to say the guy knows what he's doing.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But he gets no credit for 2 Division titles. Just go ask Kimmi. It was all Theo. And if we win it all this year? Theo. Using that logic, I'll blame it on Ben if we don't win it all this year.
    Nobody is saying he gets "no credit."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nobody is saying he gets "no credit."
    Well, Kimmi did say this:

"He didn't do anything but step into a great situation and reap the benefits that others worked so hard to build."

That's pretty close.

And it's mild compared to what Larry Cook has been saying.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 11-02-2017 at 08:40 AM.