Register now to remove this ad

Page 149 of 335 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    They did not have to shed HIS salary.

Why did they absolutely HAVE to get rid of the best young slugger in the game? They should have gutted the team of everyone EXCEPT Stanton, then build around the best young power hitting in the game.
    because major league baseball was so desperate to have dreamy derek jeter as a team frontman that they overlooked the fact that he and his partners HAD NONE OF THEIR OWN MONEY!!!! And somehow Mark Cuban could not get greenlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    because major league baseball was so desperate to have dreamy derek jeter as a team frontman that they overlooked the fact that he and his partners HAD NONE OF THEIR OWN MONEY!!!! And somehow Mark Cuban could not get greenlighted.
    And Jeter was charged with bringing the payroll down by 40 million to no more than 90 million because the business plan does not work at any higher number.

That is what I read a while ago, anyway.

That franchise is fucked. They have had a lot of talent over the years. They seem to just piss it away.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    How much of those stinking fish does Jeter even own?
    As much as I like hating on Jeter (I would have loved him in Boston though), I don't think that he is the one with the last word on all of the stupid things the Marlins might do.

As much as I like hating on Jeter (I would have loved him in Boston though), I don't think that he is the one with the last word on all of the stupid things the Marlins might do.
    Unfortunately for him, regardless, he is their face. Their success or failure will solely be blamed on him.

Jeter sucked.

I'd have hated him anywhere he played.

Yes he’s the face of the Marlins now, but at their salary levels, teams can be competitive. You don’t overpay for a team then lose money. They had one SP and no relief. Their staff was putrid and they were already losing money. A rebuild was in the offing to keep from bankrupting the newly acquired franchise. The Ozuna deal gained a lot of big league ready prospects. The Stanton deal gained two intriguing long term prospects. Castro will likely return something useful. I’d assume Bour and Yelich will return something useful. They need to rebuild and while most non acquiring teams don’t like it, that’s business

How does Miami keep cranking out stud players and pitchers, yet we barely muster 1 starter per decade?

Legend
    The Red Sox have posted a fellowship opening in the front office:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/inst...iz-fellowship/

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Jeter sucked.

I'd have hated him anywhere he played.
    Very fair-minded and objective LOL

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yes he’s the face of the Marlins now, but at their salary levels, teams can be competitive. You don’t overpay for a team then lose money. They had one SP and no relief. Their staff was putrid and they were already losing money. A rebuild was in the offing to keep from bankrupting the newly acquired franchise. The Ozuna deal gained a lot of big league ready prospects - although still less than you'd expect for a guy coming off of that season with that level of salary control. The Stanton deal gained two intriguing long term prospects. Castro will likely return something useful. I’d assume Bour and Yelich will return something useful. They need to rebuild and while most non acquiring teams don’t like it, that’s business
    They were further along than say the Padres. They traded Dee Gordon for basically nothing, Stanton for a couple of very far away guys ... Castro probably nets a mid-level prospect and a sack of potatoes. They have not converted their players into assets largely - just salary relief. And this is salary relief that came because they were greenlighted by MLB despite having so little of their own money. Somehow they cannot operate despite having a new stadium more or less gifted to them by the city. You take that - as well as letting go some of the actual popular Marlins-brand figures, taking a genuinely weird approach with Stanton.

Now Jeter is getting a bit of a bad rap. The real money man, Bruce Sherman (who picked the Miami Herald clean) was bound to do this. If he did not have YEAH JEETS! as a partner, he ends up not really being any better than Jeff Loria. It is funny as hell that ARod in their post playing incarnations comes off much more likeable - but that's just me.
    Last edited by sk7326; 12-15-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Very fair-minded and objective LOL
    Totally objective.

He was the worst fielding SS (who played over a decade) I've seen in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    They were further along than say the Padres. They traded Dee Gordon for basically nothing, Stanton for a couple of very far away guys ... Castro probably nets a mid-level prospect and a sack of potatoes. They have not converted their players into assets largely - just salary relief. And this is salary relief that came because they were greenlighted by MLB despite having so little of their own money. Somehow they cannot operate despite having a new stadium more or less gifted to them by the city. You take that - as well as letting go some of the actual popular Marlins-brand figures, taking a genuinely weird approach with Stanton.

Now Jeter is getting a bit of a bad rap. The real money man, Bruce Sherman (who picked the Miami Herald clean) was bound to do this. If he did not have YEAH JEETS! as a partner, he ends up not really being any better than Jeff Loria. It is funny as hell that ARod in their post playing incarnations comes off much more likeable - but that's just me.
    Look who the Yanks got for a few rentals.

Look who the Mariins got for gems with several years of team control.

Case dismissed.

MLBTR reports....

The Pirates and Yankees are discussing a trade that would send right-hander Gerrit Cole to the Bronx Bombers in exchange for a trade package that includes outfielder Clint Frazier, George A. King III of the New York Post reports.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Totally objective.

He was the worst fielding SS (who played over a decade) I've seen in my lifetime.
    Still a 70+ WAR career.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Still a 70+ WAR career.
    You're not helping build a case for WAR, you know.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully