Register now to remove this ad

Page 136 of 335 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Or maybe the Red Sox decided they weren't going to spend 300 million on a corner outfielder, especially when corner outfield is already a strength of the team with Benintendi and Betts. There are plenty of corner outfielders who can hit--why spend 300 million on one?

In contrast, spending 300 million on a starting SS who can hit like M.Machado makes perfect sense. Moreover, based on the 2017 season, the Red Sox would greatly benefit from an upgrade at SS.
    I definitely agree that spending $300 million for TEN years is too much. I never wanted the Sox to sign him. I don't like that he went to the Yankees, but I'm glad that we don't have that contract to deal with.

I would not give that kind of contract to Machado either.

You're right: 300 million is too much for Machado. But I would defend my larger point: I would rather invest big bucks in a guy who can play SS than corner outfield. The Red Sox have two awesome corner outfielders going forward, but I'm not high on Bogaerts--I see Machado as a significant upgrade. The other alternative is to sign Machado for 3b and move Devers to 1b, but that wouldn't make sense if Devers shows improvement defensively, which might happen.

To be sure, I'll be disappointed if the Red Sox miss out on all three players: Stanton, Machado, and Harper. They need to sign one of the three -- after all, they are the big market Red Sox competing against the big market Yankees. Machado is my first preference due to position scarcity.

Harper is interesting but you would have to move Betts to CF. I'm not sure if the Red Sox would be willing to do that.

While 10 years, 300 million is too much for Machado, I would certainly be willing to give Machado a 10 year contract. He is young enough for that kind of contract. I'm not sure about his yearly salary, but to sign him you might have to pay him 25 mil per year, especially if he has a big 2018 season.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.

So desperate Dave didn't go for the deal? Amazing.

Gregerson signs with the Cards for $5M/1 with a vesting $6M option with a $1M buyout.

Cubs to sign Brandon Morrow to about $10-11M per year.

The Red Sox are “very interested” in White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, which runs contrary to previous reports.

They can be interested all they want. The question is, who are they giving up? You don’t have the parts in the minors to make this deal happen. You’re going to have to part with something painful

Did anyone else hear that Wright got arrested for domestic abuse?

Yup. Release him.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Team statement: 'We are aware of the incident involving Steven. This is certainly a matter that the Red Sox take very seriously. It is my understanding that both local police and MLB are looking into this and for that reason, the club won’t have any further comment at this time.

Not good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They can be interested all they want. The question is, who are they giving up? You don’t have the parts in the minors to make this deal happen. You’re going to have to part with something painful
    Like a fringe prospect like Guzman?

This is not a good off-season for the Sox so far.

This thing with Wright is just another example. I am not so sure what he did wrong other than argue with his wife as it has been reported that he did not hit anyone.

Still, I can see the Sox releasing him and looking for another 4-5 type.

Wonderful.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    This is not a good off-season for the Sox so far.

This thing with Wright is just another example. I am not so sure what he did wrong other than argue with his wife as it has been reported that he did not hit anyone.

Still, I can see the Sox releasing him and looking for another 4-5 type.

Wonderful.
    And I could see the Yankees acquiring him and having him put up 15 wins.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Did anyone else hear that Wright got arrested for domestic abuse?
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/re...IzN/story.html

http://www.weei.com/blogs/lucy-burdg...ssault-charges

Legend
    Boston Herald columnist Michael Silverman suggests the Red Sox sign J.D. Martinez and Eric Hosmer:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...er_jd_martinez