Register now to remove this ad

Page 177 of 335 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I would add the Padres and Royals to my earlier list of Phillies, White Sox and Brewers as teams that can afford J.D. Martinez.

The Red Sox have competition.
    Several teams "can afford" him, but for many paying him over $130M/5 would be a huge portion of their entire payroll.

They could do it with the idea that they might trade him later, but I haven't heard much about any other teams being seriously interested in JD.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure how that "increases interest," since teams needing an OF'er already know he plays OF and about how much he will cost. They have not bid already, because they either don't need an OF'er or they do not want to pay what it might take to get him. So many teams usual high-bidders are looking to reset their tax this year.

I'm wondering if any other team would even offer $125/5, or would if they knew the price was dropping.
    I would set that as the Red Sox limit and that has risk that he can be worth that much over 5 years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I would set that as the Red Sox limit and that has risk that he can be worth that much over 5 years.
    I would go as high as 150 but that would be it. 5 years max - like you old-timer, I would set a deadline date as well. I guess the good news is that DD might be doing exactly what we are thinking.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I would go as high as 150 but that would be it. 5 years max - like you old-timer, I would set a deadline date as well. I guess the good news is that DD might be doing exactly what we are thinking.
    The deadline might be funny if J.D. Martinez already has better offers from other teams.

The deadline might be funny if J.D. Martinez already has better offers from other teams.
    If there were better offers Boras just might pass that info on to us...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If there were better offers Boras just might pass that info on to us...
    I doubt an agent would communicate all offers to all potential suitors.

If the Red Sox make a deadline offer, the agent may respond that he has better offers ... if, objectively or subjectively, he has better offers.

Deity
    If he has a better offer than 5 and 125-150 then he should by all means take it for sure. Now we know what the sox have offered in terms of years but the $ figure remains a mystery. If Boras is in fact working for his client, he will pass on other offers to him as well as to the Red Sox. He knows I think that if they want to the Sox can match any offer out there. I hope that a limit and a deadline have both been set.

Deity
    I doubt an agent would communicate all offers to all potential suitors.

If the Red Sox make a deadline offer, the agent may respond that he has better offers ... if, objectively or subjectively, he has better offers.
    Boras might not communicate thr specific teams but he certainly lets bidding parties no where they need to be.

Legend
    We should offer based upon perceived value, not on what some other team is willing to offer. Meanwhile, life and the market moves on. There are stirrings out there with the Braves, with Hosmer and others. The realization is that waiting has risks.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    If he has a better offer than 5 and 125-150 then he should by all means take it for sure. Now we know what the sox have offered in terms of years but the $ figure remains a mystery. If Boras is in fact working for his client, he will pass on other offers to him as well as to the Red Sox. He knows I think that if they want to the Sox can match any offer out there. I hope that a limit and a deadline have both been set.
    What if he has several offers better than five years and $125 million? Should Scott Boras play those teams off against each other?

If Boras has a firm offer from the Red Sox, should Boras email that offer to all teams and ask each team to top it?

I don't think negotiations are that specific.

Should the Red Sox tell Boras that they'll top any offer from another team? If so, what should Boras do with that information in negotiations with other clubs?

I'm very curious about the idea that maybe no other team has offered more than $125M/5 or $130M/5.

I'm not sure I'd rush to offer $150M/6 or set any deadline.

I'd try to ask Boras to give us the opportunity to match or top any offer another team presents to JD, but I'm not sure that is always something an agent will agree to do, especially if another team asks Boras not to tell any other team about an offer they give.

It's probably best to just give what you think he is worth, knowing full well you are overpaying with the market rate. Don't set a deadline, until you feel your option B or C is about to disappear, and you're not happy with plan D.

What if he has several offers better than five years and $125 million? Should Scott Boras play those teams off against each other?

What if he has none, and we're just bidding against ourselves. How much can you trust Boras to be honest about what other teams are offering?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

What if he has none, and we're just bidding against ourselves. How much can you trust Boras to be honest about what other teams are offering?
    Obviously I don't know Mr Boras personally nor do I know anyone who does, but clearly Mr Boras has an excellent reputation in baseball that's why he is so successful. Agents who aren't honest with the parties with whom they negotiate tend not to last long. Remember Boras has to treat the ballclubs with whom he deals ethically and fairly. That doesn't mean that he tells them everything he knows but it does mean he can't deliberately deceive them.

All-Star

If Boras has a firm offer from the Red Sox, should Boras email that offer to all teams and ask each team to top it?

I don't think negotiations are that specific.

Should the Red Sox tell Boras that they'll top any offer from another team? If so, what should Boras do with that information in negotiations with other clubs?

You don't think an agent that is trying to get the best possible deal for his client tells all the interested parties that this is the number ($x) they need to beat if they want him? Really? Of course they tell the other suitors. Unless a player has a hankering for one certain club, everyone knows the price they need to beat. Especially if there are several teams bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Obviously I don't know Mr Boras personally nor do I know anyone who does, but clearly Mr Boras has an excellent reputation in baseball that's why he is so successful. Agents who aren't honest with the parties with whom they negotiate tend not to last long. Remember Boras has to treat the ballclubs with whom he deals ethically and fairly. That doesn't mean that he tells them everything he knows but it does mean he can't deliberately deceive them.
    Boras has a reputation of getting the most money for his clients, that's a little different from having an excellent reputation for being an ethical dealer. He seems to have done some questionable stuff over the years, based on the stories that have come out. The Johnny Damon negotiations being just one example. (The Red Sox claimed that Boras told them he would give them a chance to match the Yankees best offer, then didn't make the call.)

But he has obviously done very well overall to be where he is today.