Register now to remove this ad

Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154
Results 2,296 to 2,302 of 2302

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

I see Holt starting the season in AAA, despite Pedey being on the DL. Marrero, Brentz and Swihart are all out of options, and Leon is the back-up catcher.

It seems weird to pay a guy $2M to be in AAA and be 3rd or 4th, at best, on any positional depth chart.

IMO, h only becomes $2M valuable, if Pedey never returns AND one or two from Hernandez, Marrero, Lin, Brentz and Swihart bombs out or gets hurt (which is certainly possible). notin makes a great point, though, and we certainly could have found a cheaper player like Holt at any point in a season or off season.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    At the end of the day, how many "super sub" players do you think the Sox are going to commit multiple millions of dollars to?

I think offering Holt arbitration may have done more to close the door on Nunez than many Sox fans want to believe. ..
    Multi-millions, who knows? But in the eras of a 3-4 man bench, multipositional ability is important. I could see the Sox preferring to say give Swihart that whirl - and I'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Multi-millions, who knows? But in the eras of a 3-4 man bench, multipositional ability is important. I could see the Sox preferring to say give Swihart that whirl - and I'd agree with that.
    Marrero can play 3 positions (SS, 2B & 3B)
    Lin can play 4+ positions (SS, 2B, 3B & OF)
    Hernandez can play 3 (3B, 2B & SS)
    Swihart can play 2 now (C & OF) but can probably play 1B and maybe 3B/2B

If a 1Bman gets hurt, Travis can be called up.

Holt plays 7, but when 3 of your bench players play multiple positions anyways, we don't need the 7 position guy.

Last edited by moonslav59; Yesterday at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Exactly. Holt, Swihart, Leon and Marrero. No room for Nunuz here..
    Clutch hitters are like Bigfoot. People claim they've seen one. But not reliable people. ..

Exactly. Holt, Swihart, Leon and Marrero. No room for Nunuz here..
    ...and if Pedey comes back, Hernandez will squeezze Holt, Marrero or Swihart out of a job.

(Then, there's Brentz.)

I keep trying to forget about Brentz.

I know a lot of people want him to get a shot. But if Bradley goes down for 3 weeks, and he is the most likely outfielder to go down historically, then the Sox have to re-arrange the outfield to accommodate Brentz. And by the time those 3 weeks are up, I wonder how many fans will still be glad that Brentz finally got a shot....
    Clutch hitters are like Bigfoot. People claim they've seen one. But not reliable people. ..

I keep trying to forget about Brentz.

I know a lot of people want him to get a shot. But if Bradley goes down for 3 weeks, and he is the most likely outfielder to go down historically, then the Sox have to re-arrange the outfield to accommodate Brentz. And by the time those 3 weeks are up, I wonder how many fans will still be glad that Brentz finally got a shot....
    Then again he may hit the shit out of the ball.

You do not know. No one does.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."