Register now to remove this ad

Page 152 of 335 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm very concerned about Pedey. I have worries Marco cannot be better than replacement level.

I do, however, feel like we should wait on finding a top quality 2Bman until we know more-- maybe mid season.

Maybe we need to keep some money available for this contingency.
    DD is still talking as though Nunez might be in the picture. With the lack of positive results to date, Nunez might fill part of the bill if he can be had under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I think that it is definitely a concern but I do have faith in the fact that Hernandez can hold the line for us right now at second. I want to see the two power bats added first - maybe just the one - and then move on to other concerns. Don't need a lot of swat from that second baseman. he just needs to provide the D. Before the keyboard is cold some stat hound is going to tell me that he a less than blah blah fielder. Sorry I won't buy it. He is a middle infielder not a third baseman. I think that there is a huge difference between the two. He isn't likely to be able to pick it like Pedroia but I wouldn't be surprised if he is just fine.
    I'm a stat hound but have always liked Marco, despite his non flattering numbers.

I'd like to see him get a decent chance to prove himself, before we spend wildly on a super utility player.

To a lesser extent, I'd like to see how Swihart does. Holt and Marrero are disposable, once we see how Pedey is progressing as Lin has more options,

Good luck finding a high level replacement for Pedroia. In trading Moncada, the Red Sox solved one problem (no ace) and created another problem (no future 2b). That's what you call bad decision-making by the GM.

I would offer E.Rodriguez (maybe the Orioles want him back) and Bogaerts for Machado. Supposedly, the Orioles want 2 controllable starters for Machado, but they might only be able to get one. Sign L.Morrison for 1b. Sign a platoon partner for Hanley at DH: maybe Duda.

1b: Morrison
    2b: Hernandez
    SS: Machoado
    3b: Devers
    C: Vazquez
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: Bradley Jr
    RF: Betts
    DH: Duda/Hanley

Forget Hosmer and JD Martinez. Instead, add offense by upgrading a middle infield position and get ready to resign Machado after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Good luck finding a high level replacement for Pedroia. In trading Moncada, the Red Sox solved one problem (no ace) and created another problem (no future 2b). That's what you call bad decision-making by the GM.

I would offer E.Rodriguez (maybe the Orioles want him back) and Bogaerts for Machado. Supposedly, the Orioles want 2 controllable starters for Machado, but they might only be able to get one. Sign L.Morrison for 1b. Sign a platoon partner for Hanley at DH: maybe Duda.

Forget Hosmer and JD Martinez. Instead, add offense by upgrading a middle infield position and get ready to resign Machado after the season.
    1 year of Machado would be nice, but without the O's offering a window to extend. I think I'd pass.

Just go for JD and let someone else make the mistake with Hosmer.

JD and Duda is fine with me.

JD, trade JBJ for Abreu via a 3rd team is okay.

Legend

What is interesting is that there are not a lot of good 2B options out there period. Pedroia if healthy (which we have to assume will never happen) is a 4 win player still ... that is not something you fix easily. But I think you give Hernandez and/or Merrero the wheel, it will be okay. The latter can give you the defense - enough that if he just hits somewhat competently he will be an adequate replacement.

MLBTR reports...

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told Jen McCaffrey of MassLive.com and other reporters Saturday that the club had interest in Carlos Santana before he agreed to to a pact with Philadelphia on Friday. However, the Red Sox “weren’t necessarily prepared to go to the dollar amount that was there” for the first baseman, who landed a three-year, $60MM guarantee. And after suggesting at the Winter Meetings that offense-needy Boston would only add one big bat, Dombrowski doubled down on that Saturday, saying the team’s “focused on getting one person.”

I'm not pretending to be smarter than DD, but why tip your hand and let Bore-A$$ know you want his guy this badly?

(Assuming he's not lying.)

Is this realistic?

1) Sign JD Martinez $156M/6. ($26M luxury tax)

2) Trade JBJ for prospects and flip them with Groome and Travis for
    Chris Archer (owed $34M/4- luxury tax $4.25M). We may save $2M on the tax budget with JBJ making ~$6M.

3) Sign Morrison $36M/3 ($12M luxury tax)

Total tax hit: $36M

1. Bogey
    2. Beni
    3. Betts
    4. JD
    5. Morrison
    6. Devers
    7. HRam
    8. Pedey (hopefully)
    9. Vaz

S1 Sale
    S2 Archer
    S3 Pom
    S4 Price
    S5 Porcello
    S6 ERod

Why trade Bradley? With our infield defense leakier than the titanic, we need all the defense we can get in the outfield!

Legend

Possibly Chavis is our long term Pedroia replacement. He is our 2nd highest ranked prospect and may well be a second baseman who can hit.

We can either get our big bat at 1st, in the OF or as DH. I don't expect Hanley to give us even 100 games at 1st or maybe for the entire season. The problem is that Stanton, Santana and Cozart are already off the targets list and we may wind up taking on JD for a longish contract at big money and only get 120 games a year from him, while giving up JBJ.

My hope was for a recovered Nunez and Santana for 1st but that has gone by the boards. I wonder if DD is getting nervous, he should be. Maybe Morrison and Nunez would still work without giving up too much.

We have been put into a weaker position by the serious flawed deals we made which still plague the team now. We still have a good team, so lets not repeat the mistakes of the past and instead go for improvements that don't saddle us with aging stars who can't stay in the lineup and are on the downward trajectory in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Why trade Bradley? With our infield defense leakier than the titanic, we need all the defense we can get in the outfield!
    I don't want to trade JBJ, but if JD is pushing hard to play OF, I'd do it. Plus Archer is more valuable than JBJ.

Betts to 2b. JD to LF. Beni to RF.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Betts to 2b. JD to LF. Beni to RF.
    Betts is a GG quality RF who plays half his games in MLB's toughest RF.

It's easier to just get a 2Bman than move Mb to 2B.

I'm also not sure how Beni would do in RF.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    What is interesting is that there are not a lot of good 2B options out there period. Pedroia if healthy (which we have to assume will never happen) is a 4 win player still ... that is not something you fix easily. But I think you give Hernandez and/or Merrero the wheel, it will be okay. The latter can give you the defense - enough that if he just hits somewhat competently he will be an adequate replacement.
    The Seattle Mariners have two Gold Glove-winning second basemen each with multiple All Star Game appearances (10 combined).

However, I don't see a good match in a Red Sox trade for Robinson Cano or Dee Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Seattle Mariners have two Gold Glove-winning second basemen each with multiple All Star Game appearances (10 combined).

However, I don't see a good match in a Red Sox trade for Robinson Cano or Dee Gordon.
    I think Seattle is moving Gordon to cf.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    MLBTR reports...

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told Jen McCaffrey of MassLive.com and other reporters Saturday that the club had interest in Carlos Santana before he agreed to to a pact with Philadelphia on Friday. However, the Red Sox “weren’t necessarily prepared to go to the dollar amount that was there” for the first baseman, who landed a three-year, $60MM guarantee. And after suggesting at the Winter Meetings that offense-needy Boston would only add one big bat, Dombrowski doubled down on that Saturday, saying the team’s “focused on getting one person.”

I'm not pretending to be smarter than DD, but why tip your hand and let Bore-A$$ know you want his guy this badly?

(Assuming he's not lying.)
    Weird comment by Dombrowski -- not sure what he means. I'm inclined to think that he is focused on Hosmer. The Red Sox have an immediate opening at 1b, whereas they don't have an immediate OF spot for JD Martinez. Hanley is pretty much locked into the DH spot (I presume).

I like the idea of moving Betts to second base as that would allow the Red Sox to go all in on B.Harper next year, but there is no news on Betts moving and so I doubt it happens.

I read that some see T.Frazier as a 2b. That's a possibility for the Red Sox. On the other hand, Frazier at 2b, Bogaerts at SS, and Devers at 3b is weak infield defense. I think Devers will get better defensively, but Frazier will probably struggle at 2b and Bogaerts is a second rate defender.

Possibly Chavis is our long term Pedroia replacement.
    Chavis played in the Arizona league. Did the Red Sox even take a look at him at 2b? My understanding is that he alternated between 1b and 3b.

Just read this post on another forum--thought it made sense--a good comparison for JD Martinez--let's hope Dombrowski doesn't overpay:
    Justin Upton just got 5/$106M from the Angels. Upton is 4 days younger than Martinez. Martinez has a little more power than Upton, but otherwise Upton is a better player. That salary level is where Martinez should end up. But it looks like he's going to get somewhere in the range of 50% more than Upton with more years. Paying 50% more for a lesser player makes little sense to me
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-17-2017 at 01:40 AM.