Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Yankees vs Houston ALCS

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I'm not trolling. The accusation makes you the troll. You seem to think that every Yankees prospect is going to flourish and be great. But so many prospects don't make it even after getting "big time reviews."

I'm not high on Frazier and Sheffield--never liked either prospect. Deal with dissenting views. I have Sheffield as a bottom of the rotation starter and Frazier as a platoon bat, but you can find players like that in free agency.

I'm open to the possibility that the Yankees will win the trade long term, but I don't think that will happen and Miller in 2017 was a better (and more valuable) player than Frazier, who was absolute garbage.

Ah, you called me a troll but you're the troll argument. Wonderful! I am not the one who has spent a week trying to hammer home the same off base point. But I digress

You keep talking about 2017. Let's go back to the trade deadline of 2016, we were dealing off a bunch of veterans and watched two icons retire. Our team was being handed over to the kids. It usually takes a few years for rookies with promise to reach their potential. We had our eye towards 2019 with the hopes of being relevant enough to keep the fans coming for 2017 and 2018 and getting under the cap in 2018, which we are still doing. No pinstripes glasses Yankee asskisser could have predicted what we would do in 2017, but I digress. We dealt off a reliever for a 5 star blue chipper who just debuted in AAA and a lefty starter with 3 plus potential pitches and a mid 90s fastball who was in High A ball. Both players were in the top 100 of practically every list on all sites. We also got two fireballing relievers, one of which is already on our 40 man. The return was insane at the time for a reliever.

Now, let's fast forward to 2017. We make it to the ALDS and we face Andrew Miller. A lefty on our team takes him deep and we end up beating the Indians in the series. If that reliever isn't Andrew Miller, then maybe we don't take him deep? If Miller is on our team, maybe he gives us the homer? Maybe we do, who knows. But not having Miller allowed a team picked LAST by most pundits to be one win away from the ALCS! I'll take it.

Now, let's look at the two prospects you "don't like" as if you are some prospect guru.

Clint Frazier is by all accounts, a 5 tool outfielder. Frazier made his big league debut at the ripe age of 22 years old, a common age for a player to be drafted, let alone making his big league debut. His first month in the bigs, he slugged .539 with 4HRs, 3 triples, and 6 doubles. That's damn good for a 22 yr old making his debut. He played 6 out of the next 8 games, scuffled and then didn't play in the bigs for over a month. He came back in September, didn't get regular PT and scuffled. His debut was a success IMO. With regular playing time, he showed his quick hands and his power. What 22 yr old isn't going to struggle with limited time. That theory is preposterous. Now, how will he end up? Nobody really knows. He's now a 23 yr old who is still a rookie who currently looks to be spending 2018 in AAA for some more seasoning. In AAA, he showed 20+HR power, 20+SB (projections) and a really good eye (which he didn't show in his big league debut). What else could you want? You don't like him, I get that, but labelling a 22 yr old whose only actual month of PT showed solid numbers a platoon player is hoping for failure, which you clearly are.

In terms of Sheffield, you must be hoping for an injury, because his season was solid and he has dominated his two starts in the hitter friendly AFL. Here's a Keith Law excerpt

"• The Yankees also sent several big arms to the AFL, led by lefty Justus Sheffield, who is making up for innings he lost during the season to an oblique injury. Sheffield was absolutely filthy in his AFL debut, sitting 94-96 with a plus slider at 86-87 and above-average changeup at 86-89, better at the 86-87 part of that range. He's always been athletic with a good delivery that's online to the plate, but now his arm looks faster than ever, and he has a real breaking ball in the slider -- he didn't throw a curveball at all. He was on my top 100 last winter on the promise of his athleticism and changeup, but now he's got more fastball and a potential out pitch in the slider"

This is from a guy who has actually seen him, which I presume you haven't. FSB, I get it. You're upset that your heavily favored preseason team slumped in the playoffs and you watched a young Yankee team picked last come within a game of the world series. I understand you must be hurt and frustrated. But don't distort reality. The deal for Miller at the time was sensational. Our future because of that deal is much brighter than it would be to have Miller on a 1 yr deal going forward. I will defend that for sure
    Hal sucks

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    It was definitely a short term loss for the Yankees in that they would have been a better team this year if they had Miller instead of Sheffield (minor leagues) and Frazier (an awful debut, a -0.4 WAR and he couldn't hit--an 84 OPS+). But like any deal, you have to evaluate it long term. The jury is still out, but I'm not high on Frazier or Sheffield, I think the Indians basically acquired Miller for free. We shall see.....but there is no doubt that the Yankees would have been a better team THIS YEAR with Andrew Miller than Clint Frazier, a guy who wasn't ready for the major leagues and may never be ready.
    "The jury is still out, but I've already made up my mind."
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by northern star View Post
    "the jury is still out, but i've already made up my mind."
    lol
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    "The jury is still out, but I've already made up my mind."
    The jury is still out but I don't like what I've seen so far. Frazier in particular hasn't produced significant enough offensive numbers in the minor leagues. I don't see the production. The production doesn't match the hype. His dreadful rookie campaign reinforced my opinion on Frazier.

There isn't a contradiction in the statement, "I'm not high on this prospect, but the jury is still out (meaning my assessment could be wrong)." Any prospect analysis should come with that kind of qualification even for someone like Keith Law or the best scout in major league baseball. Look at your first round picks, how many become really good players? The percentage is pretty low and yet professional scouts pick those players, give them a lot of money, believing they are great talents. Keith Law gets things wrong all the time. The best scout in major league baseball gets prospects wrong all the time. We all do. But it is fun to analyze a player and express your opinion on that player. A person should be able to do that without being called a troll.

Lol. Listen, they may not come to fruition. But making any rash judgements on a 22 yr old’s cameo is just dumb. I seem to remember a certain MVP candidate sucked ass in his cameo in 2016. But yeah, Frazier is doomed due to his cameo this yr

season over.
    THREAD CLOSED.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Expecting Judge, Bird, Sanchez, et al to perform just as well next season as they did this season is a lot like expecting that JBJ, Mookie, and Bogaerts would repeat their awesome 2016 season this year again. In short...very unlikely. The Yankees will be good, but banking on going to the brink of the World Series again is aiming a little high, especially with Tanaka being shaky and CC Sabathia ready to implode at a moment's notice. I would be willing to bet that if Sabathia is on the Yankees next season, he won't be by the end of it. The Yankees have a good young core moving forward, but leave a little room for doubt and, you know, reason. Anyone reading your posts would think you expect a 125-win season next year, and I know you're not the kind of guy who wears rose colored glasses that thick.
    I believe that Tanaka can opt out in the off season. If he does, I don't think the Yankees will resign him after such an uneven season where he was terrible for long stretches. CC will only be resigned for 1 year if at all. 2017 was his last gasp. Not only will he and his creaky knee be a year older, but the league will go to school on him and adjust to his junk balling style. I expect him to take a big step down. Severino took a big step up in his innings and could feel the effects next season. As for the young guys, the banquet season will soften up some of them. The league will continue to adjust to Judge who may not hit more than .250 next season. Sanchez's problems behind the plate have nothing to do with things that can be taught like footwork. He can't block balls or catch throws. He will continue to be a liability behind the plate. They will need to fill their 3rd base hole. Hicks stinks in CF. Robertson will be gon from the pen. Gardner will probably be gone. Lots of holes and lots of problems will result in a 4th place finish imo.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I believe that Tanaka can opt out in the off season. If he does, I don't think the Yankees will resign him after such an uneven season where he was terrible for long stretches. CC will only be resigned for 1 year if at all. 2017 was his last gasp. Not only will he and his creaky knee be a year older, but the league will go to school on him and adjust to his junk balling style. I expect him to take a big step down. Severino took a big step up in his innings and could feel the effects next season. As for the young guys, the banquet season will soften up some of them. The league will continue to adjust to Judge who may not hit more than .250 next season. Sanchez's problems behind the plate have nothing to do with things that can be taught like footwork. He can't block balls or catch throws. He will continue to be a liability behind the plate. They will need to fill their 3rd base hole. Hicks stinks in CF. Robertson will be gon from the pen. Gardner will probably be gone. Lots of holes and lots of problems will result in a 4th place finish imo.
    Sounds good, but why will Robertson & Gardner be gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sounds good, but why will Robertson & Gardner be gone?
    i thought Roberson was in the last year of his contract. And Gardner needs to be moved to make room for Frazier.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Lol. Listen, they may not come to fruition. But making any rash judgements on a 22 yr old’s cameo is just dumb. I seem to remember a certain MVP candidate sucked ass in his cameo in 2016. But yeah, Frazier is doomed due to his cameo this yr
    I'm looking at his minor league numbers too and I don't see the production to warrant elite prospect status.

Based on his mediocre minor league numbers, I wasn't surprised to see Frazier suck crap at the major league level.

The Indians saw the production wasn't there and unloaded him as soon as they could. Cashman took the bait and gave away one of the best relief pitchers in the process.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 10-24-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Hal sucks

I love the offseason. Nobody's hopes and theories and predictions for the next season can be disproved so they all flow without restrain, like a butt missing a sphincter.