Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So What Would You Do on April 13th ?

So What Would You Do on April 13th ?

The fanatics have absorbed the great start , and seen the weak homestand , already on a nasty slide.

Just picture that in an alternate universe , You have been given Breslow's job and as long as you stay under the lux tax, you literally have free rein to straighten the ship early. Granted no other team is looking to make serious moves yet, but what would you do to change this trajectory ?

You have lost Giolito, and Story. Pivetta is a question mark. Devers is iffy . Casas hasn't progressed much , if any. Yoshida is problematic as a very limited fielder, singles hitting DH. Your closer is a weird guy who can't throw strikes, consequently gives up no hits, except to the payroll. The three amigos ( Valdez, Hamilton, Reyes ) have butchered many plays in the field and combined are hitting only about .200 OPS better than O'Neill by himself. Gonzalez maybe could play but is injured himself for an indeterminate period. The starters have been very good, but short, so the bullpen which was good in the first 10 is now showing some wear and tear already.

Honestly, what would you do right now, including maintain status quo ??

Credit I think to Nick for already addressing this, but thought it could use its own thread, with all the good baseball people on Talksox. Better than bitching about the 2024 team with no offered solutions.

I'll keep watching, especially the younger players.

There should be a lot of fun moments, but not a lot of wins.

I'm thinking we sell off all 1 year players, this summer, and a 2 year guy or two.

I'm wondering what happens, this winter. I don't think Sox Nation will tolerate another "Full throttle" sham.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Tanking won't guarantee a top draft pick, since this year's lottery includes all 18 non-playoff teams. Still:

1. Don't trade any top prospects. You can't get there from here.

2. Trade Jansen, Martin, O'Neill asap -- before they break down. They all have some value now, and will probably yield some return in June deals; waiting until the last minute on the last day in July is too Bloom, and too risky with their ages and histories.

3. If they refuse to use Ceddanne at shortstop, then don't look in the bargain bins for someone the A's cut like Pablo Reyes last summer. Pay for the best glove on the bench of some also-ran.

Just buy him -- the investment is too important to the integrity and reputation of the franchise this summer... fans simply won't watch anymore if the defense is an embarrassment; not after last year, and not after this week looking like a rerun.

We can say we'll always watch our team, but if there's one thing true baseball lovers -- and that's guys that post about it 365 days a year -- can't tolerate, it's crap D.

As owner or GM, I would count my cash, make vacation plans, and shake my head thinking "I can't believe my customers still pay money to see this cr*p."
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Tanking won't guarantee a top draft pick, since this year's lottery includes all 18 non-playoff teams. Still:

2. Trade Jansen, Martin, O'Neill asap -- before they break down. They all have some value now, and will probably yield some return in June deals; waiting until the last minute on the last day in July is too Bloom, and too risky with their ages and histories.

3. If they refuse to use Ceddanne at shortstop, then don't look in the bargain bins for someone the A's cut like Pablo Reyes last summer. Pay for the best glove on the bench of some also-ran.

Just buy him -- the investment is too important to the integrity and reputation of the franchise this summer... fans simply won't watch anymore if the defense is an embarrassment; not after last year, and not after this week looking like a rerun.

We can say we'll always watch our team, but if there's one thing true baseball lovers -- and that's guys that post about it 365 days a year -- can't tolerate, it's crap D.
    Integrity, and reputation of the franchise? The zRed Sox have been an embarrassment all around MLB for a few years now. Look at all the candidates that was beating down Sam’s door for an opportunity for the job that Bloom left behind, or should I say lack of candidates. EMBARRASSING.🙈🤭

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

2. No one is buying or selling yet. Short term contracts like these might not be in demand

3. Pay for whose bench bat? And with what? We can’t chastise the Red Sox for not having a backup SS and then expect some other team to deal theirs away mindlessly.

The SS options are largely limited to internal right now. The Sox recently passed on Livan Soto on the waiver wire so they’ll have to see what else presents itself there. Others will as team replace injured players with non-40 man alternatives. And as May 1 approaches, it’s quite possible some shortstops on minor league deals invoke their upward mobility clauses…

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'll keep watching, especially the younger players.

There should be a lot of fun moments, but not a lot of wins.

I'm thinking we sell off all 1 year players, this summer, and a 2 year guy or two.

I'm wondering what happens, this winter. I don't think Sox Nation will tolerate another "Full throttle" sham.

The question was about if you are Breslow.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The question was about if you are Breslow.
    If I had Breslow’s job?

1. Suggest Rafaela move to SS temporarily. His primary position will be CF, but he’s under control for 8 more years; playing SS for a month or two won’t kill his development.

2. Demote Hamilton and recall Refsnyder. The OF alignment would be O’Neill in LF, Duran in CF, Abreu/Refsnyder in RF.

3. Count the minutes until the essentially useless Enmanuel Valdez can be demoted and replaced with Vaughn Grissom. Hope Cora starts Reyes over Valdez.

4. Be ready to claim any defense-oriented shortstops on the waiver wire. Maybe even work out a trade if possible.

Seppuku
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

If I was Breslow I'd be focused on investing my pay from the Sox well as long as it lasts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If I was Breslow I'd be focused on investing my pay from the Sox well as long as it lasts.
    Justifying his inactivity?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Justifying his inactivity?
    'Twas merely a jest.

Deity
    Carlos Correa to the IL.

With Royce Lewis also injured, the Twins infielder depth is also taxed. Utility players Willi Castro and Kyle Farmer are now in starting roles. Neither is a defensive whiz.

So basically the injured SS market is heating up…

SS are playing at max effort because of that danged driveline!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    SS are playing at max effort because of that danged driveline!
    They're going to need a whole new unit to address the fielding.