Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

@ClearTheBases

#RedSox announce: Dana LeVangie as the new pitching coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I think Cora will be a better communicator with the players (Already reached out to Price) and have only heard good things about him. I think this is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    I think Cora will be a better communicator with the players (Already reached out to Price) and have only heard good things about him. I think this is a good move.
    Hopefully, he told Price to stop being a dick and let his talent do the talking.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

...and he should tell the other players to hit, pitch, field and run better.

LOL.

Deity
    kiss principle has always worked even when people get in the way and try to over complicate things!

https://www.overthemonster.com/2017/...ander-bogaerts

Yooooooooooooooooo... Alex Cora is saying that the Sox are going to have a different offensive approach this year. They were too "passive" last year taking too many pitches down the middle early in the count. "We're going to talk to them and tell them to look for a pitch in the middle of the strike zone and do some damage with it."

Be still my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Yooooooooooooooooo... Alex Cora is saying that the Sox are going to have a different offensive approach this year. They were too "passive" last year taking too many pitches down the middle early in the count. "We're going to talk to them and tell them to look for a pitch in the middle of the strike zone and do some damage with it."

Be still my heart!
    Much easier said than done.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Much easier said than done.
    Nah, it's easy as long as the manager is empowered to force the players to adjust.

Nah, it's easy as long as the manager is empowered to force the players to adjust.
    We will see.

I will believe it when I see it.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Be still my heart!
    I agree with this, to a certain extent. Our hitters were a little too passive. However, we don't want our hitters taking it to the other extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I agree with this, to a certain extent. Our hitters were a little too passive. However, we don't want our hitters taking it to the other extreme.
    I agree. I like patience, but hate giving up on a pitch before it leaves a guy’s hand.

Deity
    I like the common sense approach that Tim Hyers seems to take. It isn't about just moving in and retooling someone's swing. it is about working with the hitter and what tools he may already have and refine them. Basically the approach he sells really isn't complicated but it is a little different than what we have seen in Fenway for quite some time. Good luck to him - He sounds enthusiastic. By the way - staying on top of the ball worked for me because if it got on the ground I was in pretty good shape. It didn't work as well for some of my powerful teammates!

Deity
    It's the type of change that's easier for a GM to enforce than a manager.

Forcing hitters to swing outside their comfort zone and be productive? It would probably be easier to just go get other hitters who hit the way you want...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I like the common sense approach that Tim Hyers seems to take. It isn't about just moving in and retooling someone's swing. it is about working with the hitter and what tools he may already have and refine them. Basically the approach he sells really isn't complicated but it is a little different than what we have seen in Fenway for quite some time. Good luck to him - He sounds enthusiastic. By the way - staying on top of the ball worked for me because if it got on the ground I was in pretty good shape. It didn't work as well for some of my powerful teammates!
    I think that it is also interesting to note that Hyers previously worked with our budding young superstars (as some have called them) before in the minors. He knows them - they know him- what he will ask them to do might become very complicated to the prevailing think tankers and others who like to talk about the game as opposed to playing it but my guess would it be that any changes he asks our guys to make should be fairly simple -KISS.

All-Star
    As much as I was impressed with those aggressive Houston bats in the playoffs, I still think there's no answer to this conundrum. By taking pitches, you give your own starter some rest, and dispense of the other starter into the bargain.

If I were a manager I would game plan this. If we're playing the Yankees, and most of their great relievers are rested, I'd tell my players to be aggressive tonight. In contrast, if I'm up against a terrific starter, who has is backed up by average relievers, I would say "let's run the counts" tonight. To me there's nothing more impressive than to see a hitter see double figure pitches in one at bat, when up against a lights out starter.