Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    good luck, alex.

I hope this board goes easy on you.
    HEY!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT?? HOW DARE YOU AC- ... [all caps.; bold; ital.]

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    No it doesn't - the Red Sox have not made any announcement. This is a report that the Sox WILL.

And yeah - the Astros gave him permission to interview, it was a promotion. (the former is the key - note the Sox denied Lovullo permission to interview in 2015 iirc)
    Yeah, this thread title is just a bit premature still, as nothing has officially been announced or even definitively reported yet...though it looks pretty certain to be Cora at this point.

Dombrowski said yesterday that no decision had been made, but I'm guessing that's about as solid as when there were no Sox players having offseason surgery.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    AC - your first move should be to fire buttermaker as 3rd base coach.
    thank you,
    TS Board
    Butterfinger must go, to be sure.

Legend
    Love it! Love infielders as Managers. They understand Pitchers almost as good as Catchers, because they use their eyes first. Feel for the game. No previous experience I like, no bad habits, or trends. Now the important thing, is he'll make mistakes, but he has to file it, and don't do it again.
    He was smart player, he'll be a smart Manager. Smart wins a lot of games.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Love it! Love infielders as Managers. They understand Pitchers almost as good as Catchers, because they use their eyes first. Feel for the game. No previous experience I like, no bad habits, or trends. Now the important thing, is he'll make mistakes, but he has to file it, and don't do it again.
    Hope he has a list of new coaches in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Hope he has a list of new coaches in mind.
    But what about Butter's charts, his dedication and his early arrival at the ballpark?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I like this move. Curious to see how it ends up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I'll be surprised if Butterfield gets replaced. He's known as a guru of infield defense and is credited with teaching Hanley to play 1B as well as working with Bogaerts on his footwork and getting into position to make throws. The Sox may want Butterfield around to work with Devers whether he ends up at 3B or 1B.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'll be surprised if Butterfield gets replaced. He's known as a guru of infield defense and is credited with teaching Hanley to play 1B as well as working with Bogaerts on his footwork and getting into position to make throws. The Sox may want Butterfield around to work with Devers whether he ends up at 3B or 1B.
    Butterfield would make an obvious bench coach candidate as well ... although I would expect the Sox will push hard for an older hand for the bench coach position ... whether it be an actual former big league manager, or bringing DeMarlo Hale back

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Smart player and he was mentally always in the game. I like the move. I think he could do a very good job with our young players. I just hope he is up to the challenge of dealing with all the scrutiny and second guessing. At least he understands what it's like to play in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Butterfield would make an obvious bench coach candidate as well ... although I would expect the Sox will push hard for an older hand for the bench coach position ... whether it be an actual former big league manager, or bringing DeMarlo Hale back
    I'm not in any hurry to get rid of Butterfield. He's held in very high regard by baseball people.

I think you have a good point about bringing in an older person with experience to be the bench coach.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Smart player and he was mentally always in the game. I like the move. I think he could do a very good job with our young players. I just hope he is up to the challenge of dealing with all the scrutiny and second guessing. At least he understands what it's like to play in Boston.
    U have a feeling he'd love to manage here! He's got my vote. Maybe he can convine Ortiz he should come on board as the new bench coach!

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Ok. He can bench coach. Just no more running players into outs as 3b coach
    other names i have posted under: none

Who is the worst 3rd base coach butterfield or way them in Kim?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Who is the worst 3rd base coach butterfield or way them in Kim?
    Dale Sveum.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."