Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I'm not in any hurry to get rid of Butterfield. He's held in very high regard by baseball people.

I think you have a good point about bringing in an older person with experience to be the bench coach.
    If Cora makes it in he should get the opportunity to pick his coaching staff. Like one of those deals where every coach is free to pursue other opportunities but may not be asked by our new manager to do so. I think we have been weakest in hitting, so it is a place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Dale Sveum.
    yup
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I agree with the others. Butterfield should be fired.

Out of a cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Dale Sveum.
    Geez. He was Terrible too. Apparently 3rd base coaching for us is as good as our drafting of pitching.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    U have a feeling he'd love to manage here! He's got my vote. Maybe he can convine Ortiz he should come on board as the new bench coach!
    I like the idea of Ortiz as a hitting coach, as others have mentioned.

I agree with sk that the bench coach should probably be someone with more experience in coaching/managing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Who is the worst 3rd base coach butterfield or way them in Kim?
    I don't think Butterfield was a bad 3rd base coach. He was simply following the aggressive base running philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If Cora makes it in he should get the opportunity to pick his coaching staff. Like one of those deals where every coach is free to pursue other opportunities but may not be asked by our new manager to do so. I think we have been weakest in hitting, so it is a place to look.
    I agree that Cora should be able to pick his coaching staff, or at least have a very strong say in who gets picked. I have no problem with Butterfield staying on. I think Chili will be replaced, in large part because he seems to be drawing a lot of interest elsewhere.

Legend
    Sox had 2 hitting Coaches this year. That I don't like. Too much information is not good either. Chili didn't work with Bogaerts, another guy did. Since he took his advice, he's been on the downswing. Hope he leaves. Turned Bogaerts into a slap hitter, looked terrible. While everybody was going for launch angle, he was hitting down on the ball. Bogaerts is losing a lot of money taking his advice. Teams want Power if they are going to pay big in FA.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-21-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I think it will be collaborative. After all - it's not like any manager knows every coach who is out there. I would imagine management will put together the coaches to be interviewed while Cora gets significant say in who makes the cut. Of course, managing his coaches is one of the biggest parts of his gig.

The same hitting coach had a league leading offense last year - so it's probably not a plug and play thing.

I agree with sk that the bench coach should probably be someone with more experience in coaching/managing.
    As I have said elsewhere, David Ortiz would be both crazy and or suicidal to take any full time coaching or managerial job. Since he is neither I can't see him doing anything but what he is doing now. A paid behind the scenes coach or pr person is perfect. Why would he wish to put himself in the crosshairs. For Ortiz life is good he is a Boston icon. He doesn't need the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Sox had 2 hitting Coaches this year. That I don't like. Too much information is not good either. Chili didn't work with Bogaerts, another guy did. Since he took his advice, he's been on the downswing. Hope he leaves. Turned Bogaerts into a slap hitter, looked terrible. While everybody was going for launch angle, he was hitting down on the ball. Bogaerts is losing a lot of money taking his advice. Teams want Power if they are going to pay big in FA.
    You hit the nail squarely on the head. Now if only Bogaerts could do the same.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    As I have said elsewhere, David Ortiz would be both crazy and or suicidal to take any full time coaching or managerial job. Since he is neither I can't see him doing anything but what he is doing now. A paid behind the scenes coach or pr person is perfect. Why would he wish to put himself in the crosshairs. For Ortiz life is good he is a Boston icon. He doesn't need the headaches.
    I could see him as a roving instructor or "assistant to the GM" at some point ... but yeah, for the most part he has a good life.

Legend
    You hit the nail squarely on the head. Now if only Bogaerts could do the same.
    Let's see what an offseason of rest does. Pedroia and Bryce Harper's hand injury experiences are both solid examples of reserving judgment on Bogaerts here.

This is what it comes down to. Why jump back into all that travel and deal with all the anxiety when you can just dress up and look pretty on TV?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend

Varitek as bench coach? I think he is likely managerial material, if he wants it. He was always incredibly well prepared for the game, though towards the end of his career his physical skills were no longer there. As for Butterfield, I agree: he was not a bad coach. A bit aggressive at times perhaps, but when you have speed you can be aggressive. He can tone it down if instructed to do so.