Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

Sox to hire Alex Cora as manager

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...D=ansmsnnews11

Most of you guys called this. He certainly knows the game
    Hal sucks

I like the signing, but I admit, I don't know much about AC as a manager.

I wish we could have kept JF as our pitching coach.
    \It doesn't work that way: I know.

Deity
    Maybe he'll bring in Joey Cora to be his bench coach...

Seems like desperate dave was locked on him from day one,

He needs to make sure this works.

I didn't know that you could name someone as a manger while they are still under contract during a season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I didn't know that you could name someone as a manger while they are still under contract during a season.

The headline says "after ALCS."

Seems a bit presumptuous. The Astros' season might not be over after the ALCS...

The headline says "after ALCS."

Seems a bit presumptuous. The Astros' season might not be over after the ALCS...
    And this does not constitute tampering?

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Houston gave the Sox permission to interview Cora.

Everyone knew Bill Parcells was going to the Jets when the Pats were headed to the superbowl.

Who gives a shit? It's a rich man's game.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

All-Star
    The Astros have been pushing his manager candidacy for some time. And it's not like he's the manager, or a player, but a bench coach. I expect he will be officially named after the AL final, but continue in his position with the Astros during the Series.

Perhaps one reason for the hire is that we might foresee a trade with Miami which would most probably add more Latin players to our roster. He will also be in a position to help recruit Latin players.

Good luck, Alex.

I hope this board goes easy on you.

AC - your first move should be to fire buttermaker as 3rd base coach.
    thank you,
    TS Board
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    No, because it's for a promotion and Houston apparently gave permission for the interview.

It does somewhat violate the MLB policy of not making major announcements and transactions during the playoffs, but that gets broken all the time with no repercussions...

Legend
    No, because it's for a promotion and Houston apparently gave permission for the interview.

It does somewhat violate the MLB policy of not making major announcements and transactions during the playoffs, but that gets broken all the time with no repercussions...
    No it doesn't - the Red Sox have not made any announcement. This is a report that the Sox WILL.

And yeah - the Astros gave him permission to interview, it was a promotion. (the former is the key - note the Sox denied Lovullo permission to interview in 2015 iirc)

Legend
    Could Cora fall flat on his face? Sure.

But - much like Francona in 2004 ... if you were to build a profile for a perfect managerial prospect for the Red Sox, he is as good a resume as it gets.

It just fits the personality profile of DD that this was announced so quickly -- faster than normal accepted practice. If he makes any big acquisitions, I would expect him to complete the acquisitions before Thanksgiving.