Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 Inning Starts + 6 Man Roration = Fewer Arm Problems

All-Star

6 Inning Starts + 6 Man Roration = Fewer Arm Problems

Nobody knew it them (except maybe Ted Williams) but the adven of th slider signaled more pitching problems, Especially late in the season. That is getting worse every year. Ask any of the Sox staff. But that would be management's style, would it?

Not until they allow for a 27 man roster or treat game day rosters like the NBA, NFL or NHL where you can sit someone and not have them actively on the roster for that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

We already have the 6 inning starts, generally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We already have the 6 inning starts, generally speaking.
    I think he's asking for a 6 man rotation too, which is a much bigger change IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Not until they allow for a 27 man roster or treat game day rosters like the NBA, NFL or NHL where you can sit someone and not have them actively on the roster for that day.
    I've been a big proponent of going to a 27 man roster- even 26 would be much better.

I know the game is slowed down so much by pitching changes, and this would allow for some more, but for the sake of preventing the league's best players from continually getting hurt, and to allow for some creative managaing to take place, going to a 27 man roster makes a ton of sense.

The player's union might even make a concession elsewhere to get this.

It's not up to the players union for a 6 man rotation. Also, the GM's wouldn't buy this. Starting pitchers have bloated salaries and now you are asking to increase the spots by 20%. This will drive up salaries, which the players would love, but GM's wouldn't and the cap wouldn't accommodate it. This is a moot point
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It's not up to the players union for a 6 man rotation. Also, the GM's wouldn't buy this. Starting pitchers have bloated salaries and now you are asking to increase the spots by 20%. This will drive up salaries, which the players would love, but GM's wouldn't and the cap wouldn't accommodate it. This is a moot point
    It will obviously have some effect on salaries, but that 6th spot in the rotation should not been anywhere close to the current salaries for a 4th/5th SP, that extra spot should be something close (salary wise) to a current long man, spot starter or a rookie.

Legend
    How many starts would you think your #1 would miss in a season?

Chris Sale led the majors with 214.1 innings pitched this year.

That seemed like a really low total for the MLB leader, and looking back at previous years I confirmed that the top number was generally 230 innings and up.

So there may already be a campaign underway to reduce the workload of starters.

And yes, it's ironic that Sale was #1 considering some of the discussions about how he tends to fade in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Five
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Statistically, about 25 % fewer startes. Actually,, very few. He might still have a strong arm come October! You can't get along these days without a slider. Guys that go out there and throw 98 mph with 1/2 of them sliders can log foreard to being a "David Price case".By Ocober this season it was mainly relief pitchers throwing that hard.

All-Star
    Bob Feller in the 1940s recorded seasons with the following total innings pitched count: 372, 343, 321, 300, 298 Dizzy Trout had 354 in one of those years.

Later there was Gaylord Perry and Wilbur Wood with seasons way up in the 300s.

Pitchers get huge salaries now and have to be protected. so 212 innings leads the league

20 Win seasons now are almost miraculous--and depend on lucky team support, when there were teams in the past which had three 20-game winners in the same year.
    Last edited by fxkatt; 10-20-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Bob Feller in the 1940s recorded seasons with the following total innings pitched count: 372, 343, 321, 300, 298 Dizzy Trout had 354 in one of those years.

Later there was Gaylord Perry and Wilbur Wood with seasons way up in the 300s.

Pitchers get huge salaries now and have to be protected. so 212 innings leads the league

20 Win seasons now are almost miraculous--and depend on lucky team support, when there were teams in the past which had three 20-game winners in the same year.
    I want to say it was 1970 but it may have been 1971, the Orioles had 4 20 game winners. Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally and Pat Dobson.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Chris Sale led the majors with 214.1 innings pitched this year.

That seemed like a really low total for the MLB leader, and looking back at previous years I confirmed that the top number was generally 230 innings and up.

So there may already be a campaign underway to reduce the workload of starters.

And yes, it's ironic that Sale was #1 considering some of the discussions about how he tends to fade in the second half.
    That's not "irony". That's proof that he threw too many innings.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    i want to say it was 1970 but it may have been 1971, the orioles had 4 20 game winners. Jim palmer, mike cuellar, dave mcnally and pat dobson.
    and how many pitchers featured a slider in 1970? Zero!!