Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JF Fired, New Thread, Please see new link

All-Star

JF Fired, New Thread, Please see new link

Holy shit. I didn't expect this.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The noise was too lous, I expected it, but not this quick. I wonder if David would take the job? I doubt it, he seems content where he is. But what a manager that guy would make! No fancy oratory, just "how to;s)

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    The noise was too lous, I expected it, but not this quick. I wonder if David would take the job? I doubt it, he seems content where he is. But what a manager that guy would make! No fancy oratory, just "how to;s)
    I am really warming to your idea of Ortiz being the new manager, but but I don't see it happening. This group of players is highly paid with a sense of entitlement, and with sour puss Price as the prominent voice almost any new manager will have no chance of getting control of the place. Ortiz would command the clubhouse. Players would respect him, and if he loses his temper, they would sit up and pay attention. Having no managerial experience, he would need the support of a very experienced coaching staff.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

DD always wanted his own guy. Hopefully, it's not a Ausmus redux.

Announcement to Season Ticketholders

Dear Season Ticket Holders,Today we announced that John Farrell will not return as Red Sox manager in 2018. Sometimes organizations need change to improve and now is that time. This morning, we met with John to express our deep appreciation for all he has contributed to the Boston Red Sox including 2 World Series Championships and 4 Division titles in his 9 years as pitching coach and manager. John has become a friend to many of us and he will be missed.  There is a sign in our clubhouse that reads, "We play for championships." While this season we fell short of our ultimate goal, there is a lot to be excited about as we look ahead. The work towards that goal in 2018 is already underway. Thank you again for being an integral part of the Red Sox family. We are grateful to each of you for your ongoing belief, commitment, and support. Sincerely,Sam Kennedy

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Re: Keep sending us your money.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    I mentioned in another string that Gardenhire is the guy who is favored as a replacement. Whoever it is, the sooner the better. They will have to do due diligence and interview a diverse group to satisfy current policy sensitivities, so that will take a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I wasn't amazed that it happened. Like most here I was ambivalent about it.
    What surprised me was the timing. I'd always heard that there was an ongoing request from MLB that teams didn't make personnel changes until the WS is over as those changes divert the interest from the games.

It'll be interesting now to see if the Sox have the courage to raise ticket prices again.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    LOL!! That's right. They have lots of different raffles for season ticket holders. If they really wanted to treat us right, they should have had a raffle to let a season ticket holder fire the manager.

I did. Farrell is what he is. An average manager. While there were other holes to plug and a sense that the team was playing over his head there was no need to make this move, but the team underperformed this year including another one-and-done in the division round. He got is this far but other than adding maybe one power bat, it's going to take
    a more consistent effort from the players to take us any further. That's a good time to go looking for a new manager.

An average manager can absolutely win the World Series if he manages at a great level for a year. Farrell did it in 13, Ned Yost did it in 15, both are very average. But counting on it is inadvisable.

Personally I want to see them interview DeMarlo Hale. He's a coach from the winning era, served under Tito, knows his system, and he knows many of the veterans on the team, he's one of the most experienced non-managers in the league right now. Get him in here and see what he can give us.
    Last edited by Dojji; 10-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    I wasn't amazed that it happened. Like most here I was ambivalent about it.
    What surprised me was the timing. I'd always heard that there was an ongoing request from MLB that teams didn't make personnel changes until the WS is over as those changes divert the interest from the games.

It'll be interesting now to see if the Sox have the courage to raise ticket prices again.
    Like you I was ambivalent. I look at it as not really a firing, but instead and unwillingness to renew a manager with his strengths and faults. This move should allow the new manager to come in and select some new coaches, which I think is needed. In addition, he may make a difference with the attitude of some of our players. Perhaps a more positive outlook. On the other hand things could get worse. Whats done is done and now I hope they carry it off as quicklly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Like you I was ambivalent. I look at it as not really a firing, but instead and unwillingness to renew a manager with his strengths and faults. This move should allow the new manager to come in and select some new coaches, which I think is needed. In addition, he may make a difference with the attitude of some of our players. Perhaps a more positive outlook. On the other hand things could get worse. Whats done is done and now I hope they carry it off as quicklly as possible.
    Nobody is thinking like that around here.

To me, that is good enough reason not to make a non-essential move like this.

I suspect the inmates are calling the shots and that is not a healthy situation.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    That's it in a nutshell.

Plus, this FO has been known to make rash decisions.