Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 410 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I keep a general summary of potential Sox actions and believe DD has a steep hill to climb, given the salary limitations. While he probably can't take drastic actions some of those he could take and that have been discussed appear below.

Summary of Sox Improvement Needs

The Yankees, Indians and Astros will all seek to improve in the offseason. Sox have to improve more to be competitive with them.
    Nunez, Devers and Reed brought in and gave us a lift, without which we wouldn’t have made the playoffs.
    Impediments include Panda contract, injuries to E-Rod, Pedey, Nunez and Hanley and FA of Nunez, Reed, Moreland
    Moves in the making include managerial replacement and coaching replacements on which knowledgeable people have argued for and against.
    Areas to address:
    1. Lack of power bats in the lineup
    Discussion includes possible 1st base addition or moving Devers to first to help with defense while taking on a 3rd base power bat. Also, possibly moving JBJ in favor of a power bat addition to the outfield.
    2. Lack of general offensive efficiency
    Possible improvement in coaching of existing players (Bogey) and plate approach strategy. Trading of erratic hitters for more consistent hitters (JBJ) although weighing it against defensive weakening. Dealing with second base issues. Hanley’s recovery?
    3. Infield defense
    Devers improvement or move. Living with Bogey. Need for 2nd base support or replacement. Playing Hanley at 1st or DH. Addition of 3rd or 1st baseman.
    4. Starting pitching underperformance
    Bad Porcello year. Still has arm and can eat innings. Can he be coached up? Loss of E-rod may require new starter. Will Price make it back as full time starter?
    5. Rethinking utility players
    Saying goodbye to Young, Davis and Holt? Taking utility guys from our existing roster?
    6. Depleted minor league franchises
    Can we get help from Chavis, Travis, Groome, Brannen, Hernandez, Lin, Marrero, others or should we include them in trade packages. Not much left to trade.
    7. Continuous ruinous contracts that limit our financial flexibility
    Panda contract still limits flexibility. Hanley’s if he doesn’t perform, Pedey if he is under the knife and can’t contribute. Porcello and Price if they can’t perform. Leaves us able to add one power bat and possibly help at 2nd and possibly relief help. After salary arbitration how much is left?
    Good summary of where we might improve oldtimer. I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't think our team needs as much help this offseason as most people do. Add someone solid at 1B/DH, add a solid starter (depending on Price's health), and tweak the bench and bullpen. I really think we would be competitive next season if we returned the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    All I want for Christmas is a 30 to 40 homer power bat!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You're right, it is a beautiful day.

And we're still out-titling the Yanks 3-1 in the John Henry era!
    Yup. But THIS YEAR, despite the fact that we finished in first place in the ALE again, the Yankees had a more well rounded team than we did because not only could they pitch, but they could actually hit the baseball. The Sox have a ways to go to catch up to them in the offense department. While the Red Sox went out this year with a wimper, the Yankees, to their credit, fought to the end and nearly ended up in the World Series. So I would offer a begrudging congratulations to the Yankee fans here, along with hopes that DD can find more players this offseason who can actually hit the baseball.

Deity
    It's the ultimate in "grass is greener" when a Sox fans compares the two teams.

"The Yankees have Judge and Sanchez and Grigorius and all this young talent." Then when looking at the Sox, ignore the Killer B's and focus on "We have Hanley and can't keep Moreland."

"The Yankees have Severino and Grey and all we have is Steven Wright and a gimpy ERod." See how I did that? This was the lamest trick in the softlaw bag - comparing their best to our worst.

The fact is - we won more games and aren't losing any key players (they'll likely lose Tanaka). Many of their players had career years or resurgent years and many of ours had down years, two trends that could easily reverse.

We need some hitting help. But I would not rebuild everything. Despite the post-season, they're still the team with ground to make up...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think they should add a bat too. I just don't think they need to go crazy adding that bat, ie Stanton. That said, I would be okay if the Sox went with the same position players next year.

As far as the pitching goes, Price is the big question mark. If he is indeed healthy and can give us close to 30 starts, then I agree that he is the upgrade. The uncertainty with him is my main reason why I think pitching needs to be addressed.
    We have to at least upgrade 1B, and we should not bring Moreland back.

He didn't do badly, but 1B (or DH if HRam can play 1B) can be the one area we can gain in power and overall offense.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ISO numbers since 2014:

(Selected players- not all listed)

.242 Player A
    .240 Rizzo
    .236 Goldschmidt
    .227 Votto
    .224 Abreu
    .204 Miggy
    .197 Santana
    .196 Morrison
    .191 Reynolds
    .189 HRam
    .187 Moreland
    .178 AGon
    .160 Hosmer

Last 2 years:
    .272 Freeman
    .256 Encarnacion
    .253 Player A
    .243 Rizzo
    .241 Votto
    .231 Morrison
    .218 Santana
    .218 Valbuena
    .211 Abreu
    .204 Miggy & HRam
    .197 Reynolds
    .193 Moreland
    .173 Hosmer (and people wonder why I'm sour on the Hoze)
    .173 Alonso

To be fair, here are the wRC+ numbers over the last 2 years:
    129 Abreu
    124 Santana
    119 Hoze
    118 Morrison
    112 HRam
    109 Alonso
    108 Player A
    107 Valbuena
    103 Reynolds
    .153 Alonso

Last 4 years:
    161 Votto
    139 Abreu
    124 Player A
    120 Santana
    116 Hosmer
    113 HRam
    107 Alonso
    98 Reynolds
    98 Moreland

Who is Player A?

(Hint: he will likely sign for 1 year.)

Player A is Lucas Duda.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Alex Cora will be our magic potion in 2018.

The Yankees built their team the right way. Dombrowski did not. That said, it would not be in Dombrowski's best interest to make rash moves. Our team is pretty good and pretty set for the next couple of years. We can compete with the Yankees with a few moves, none of which needs to involve Stanton.
    If we want to be "like the Yankess", we should trade our stars for prospects and build the team from youth, then add 5-6 guys at the deadline.

The Yanks did not get this good by trading for any Stantons.

(Note: I'm not trying to say we should be "like" the Yanks, but I do share Kimmi's deep concern over the depletion of our farm.)

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

"The Yankees have Judge and Sanchez and Grigorius and all this young talent." Then when looking at the Sox, ignore the Killer B's and focus on "We have Hanley and can't keep Moreland."

"The Yankees have Severino and Grey and all we have is Steven Wright and a gimpy ERod." See how I did that? This was the lamest trick in the softlaw bag - comparing their best to our worst.

The fact is - we won more games and aren't losing any key players (they'll likely lose Tanaka). Many of their players had career years or resurgent years and many of ours had down years, two trends that could easily reverse.

We need some hitting help. But I would not rebuild everything. Despite the post-season, they're still the team with ground to make up...
    I agree. I think we just need to make 2 major additions or 3 close to major additions. We might have close to $40M to spend, if Henry give the okay to approach the second penalty phase of the luxury tax budget. That might be just enough.

Add possible full years by Price, Devers, Smith, Wright, Maddox, and more from Ross and Thornburg to the probability that some of our younger players will actually improve as the approach or reach prime, and we could easily still be "the team to beat" in the AL East.

Legend
    Tanaka is going to be interesting for sure, does he walk away from 67 million guaranteed.

If if if.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

MLBTR reports...

The Rays should be open to trading right-hander Jake Odorizzi, closer Alex Colome, outfielder/designated hitter Corey Dickerson and second baseman Brad Miller during the offseason, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times opines. All four players will go through arbitration in the winter, with Odorizzi projected to end up with the highest salary ($6.5MM). He’s also the player the Rays are most likely to trade, according to Topkin. Odorizzi, 27, is coming off a down season, but his impressive track record and two remaining years of affordable team control could lead to plenty of interest from starter-needy clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Last time I checked I was pretty sure we had a place for discussion of that team already.
    Check again, now we have two.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Yeah, that was part of what I meant when I said they played a little over their heads. Yankee pitching was solid, but not THAT good. But even so, this Sox team just does not hit well enough, and is missing some of the intangibles the 2013 team had. Address those two issues, and we are better than NYY.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Tanaka is going to be interesting for sure, does he walk away from 67 million guaranteed.
    Yes. As the youngest big name starter on the market, he could easily double that.

The only reason to stay is if he feels hos elbow won't pass a physical. ..

Yankee Free Agents:

Maybe Tanaka
    Sabathia
    Pineda
    Frazier
    Garcia
    Holliday

Free Agents after next year:
    Robertson
    Warren
    Headley

Red Sox Free Agents: