Register now to remove this ad

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Yankees 2017-2018 Hot Stove

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Ellsbury posted a positive UZR/150 in CF as recent as 2016, so it’s not that he cannot play the position. He’s at best average and more likely slightly below average defensively in CF. He scored a 1.6WAR last yr in 2/3 a season which would put him at 2.4 WAR if projected over a full season. He has value. He’s just not nearly as valuable as the other OFers on this club
    If teams are not willing to give 5 years at $20mill plus to JD Martinez, Ellsbury has no market at 3 years for rougjly the same price. All Ellsbury's has left are the expensive and less productive years teams are looking to avoid in the first place.

There are plenty of younger and cheaper centerfielder available that can provide 2.4fWAR. ..

I doubt anyone would sign Ellsbury to $5M x 3. He's owed almost $23M a year x 3 counting the $5M buyout.

That means the Yanks would pay about $17-18M a year to see him play elsewhere, at best.

If the $5-6M savings helps them sign Arrieta or JD, then maybe they do it, but some team would be a fool to pay more than $6M a year for JE. He's only going to get worse.

He's had a combined 4.5 WAR over the last 3 years. That's a 1.5 average. I wouldn't expect 2.4.

I’m thinking a team that loses out on the trade market would be willing to pay around $7 mil max per year. If we include a prospect, that figure could skyrocket
    Hal sucks

I’m thinking a team that loses out on the trade market would be willing to pay around $7 mil max per year. If we include a prospect, that figure could skyrocket
    Define 'skyrocket' in this case.

Depends on the prospect. We got SD to eat all of Headley’s contract by giving Mitchell.
    Hal sucks

I think you are overvaluing Jacoby. I thought I was being generous saying $5-6M x 3.

I think we are speaking the same language. I am saying max of $7 mil per year, which means it could be $5-$6 mil. As it stands right now, if he was on a reasonable contract, he could be cut from this team. Dealing him for $15 mil of cap relief over the next 3 seasons seems like a better idea than outright cutting him. If all things were equal, he wouldn't make the team. Judge, Stanton, Gardner and Hicks would be the OFers with Frazier sitting in AAA awaiting injury.
    Hal sucks

What I am wondering at this point is what will be the rotation in the OF. Gardy and Hicks are the best defensive options, but one is old and the other is oft injured. The other two guys are more average corner OF defensive types. Do we rotate them all through DH? Do we christen someone as the regular DH? I'd be willing to think we would probably split everyone evenly through the OF. Figure there are 162 games with each guy capable of playing 150 apiece should they stay healthy and fresh. That's 600 games between the 4 guys with only 486 to go around on defense. Maybe everyone sees the field 120 times in 2018?
    Hal sucks

Yanks will figure it out.

In any case trading Gardner would be foolhardy.

Dr. Evil is one of the most consistent and quality players on the team.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

We don’t deal Gardy this year. We might exercise his option and move him for next year if we get Harper.
    Hal sucks

I am hoping we can break the curse I put on Yankee prospects with my avatar. I have had Mason Williams, James Kaprielian and recently Jorge Guzman as my avatars. 2 got traded and one faded into Bolivian /Tyson. I have moved onto Matt Sauer. Let's see if he can break the avatar curse
    Hal sucks

Jake Odorizzi on the Yankees radar. I hope it is not true. Extreme flyball pitcher who outperforms his FIP due to high K rates. BB rate went 50% higher last yr as did HR rate. Moving him from a pitchers park in TB to a hitter park in NYC would be problematic. Let him go to someone else
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Jake Odorizzi on the Yankees radar. I hope it is not true. Extreme flyball pitcher who outperforms his FIP due to high K rates. BB rate went 50% higher last yr as did HR rate. Moving him from a pitchers park in TB to a hitter park in NYC would be problematic. Let him go to someone else
    Seems the Yankees were interested in him to flip him with Ellsbury (half his salary), and Andujar for Manny. That would have been sweet... DiDi, Judge, Manny, Bird, Stanton, Sanchez.... Looks like the deal is deal now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Seems the Yankees were interested in him to flip him with Ellsbury (half his salary), and Andujar for Manny. That would have been sweet... DiDi, Judge, Manny, Bird, Stanton, Sanchez.... Looks like the deal is deal now though.
    That was a sweet deal, too bad it was not completed. I'd hate to lose Andujar, but Machado is a special talent.

I’m glad we didn’t do that deal. We’d be out the prospects for Odorizzi and Andujar for some salary relief and a year of Machado. If we had Machado for a few years, then I’m in. While I don’t expect Andujar to be as good as Machado, I do think this kid has all star level talent
    Hal sucks