Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2017-2018 Hot Stove

Why would the M's want Ellsbury? He is from Washington, I believe. But other than that how could they benefit from getting the stiff?

What am I missing?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Ells wasn’t as big of a stiff as you think. He did provide 1.8 WAR in 112 games with a .750 OPS and 20+ steals. He does have some value as a CFer. Thing is, that value may be only $7 mil or so per season. We are paying him $68 mil guaranteed for the next 3 years. If we want to dump him, we’d have to eat 2/3 of the deal plus the $5 mil buyout. I’d say something along the lines of $47 mil

Meh, I’d have to be offered a Betances package that would be akin to prime Betances. No dealing him for pennies on the dollar. I lean towards keeping him and maybe moving him in season if he really gets rolling

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Meh, I’d have to be offered a Betances package that would be akin to prime Betances. No dealing him for pennies on the dollar. I lean towards keeping him and maybe moving him in season if he really gets rolling
    I agree. I'd target the Nationals and Juan Soto and Wil Crowe.

I think Castro to the Angels makes a lot of sense too, but their farm is still wrecked and I doubt they'd trade from their major league roster. I'd love to sping some guys off, say... Fraizer, Soto, Montgomery, Adams, and the guy we get for Castro for Madison Bumgardner.

2017 roster something along the lines of...

C: Sanchez
    1B: Bird
    2B: Wade/with Torres coming up in May.
    SS: Didi
    3B: Headley
    OF: Gardner, Hicks, Judge
    DH: Ohtani
    Bench: Fraizer, McKinney, Romine, Torreyes

Rotation: Bumgarner, Tanaka, Severino, Ohtani, CC

Chapman, Robertson, Kahlne, Green, Holder/Heller, Smith/Shreve, and German.

You forgot about Sonny Gray in the rotation Meh.

But you sure are thinking. Bumgarner would be a huge get, but as of now, he is currently off limits per the Giants. His shoulder injury scared me off a bit, but he did return to throw similar velocity and lefties in Yankee stadium typically do pretty well as the pull side is a deep part of the park. His contract is akin to Sale's with an option year in 2018 and 2019. He's also in his prime as he just turned 28. We have the prospects to do it, but you might be slightly overpaying in your deal.

Montgomery is a guy I don't want to deal if I can help it. His K and BB totals are eerily similar to Bumgarner's first full year as is the velocity and repertoire. I honestly do not want to see him dealt as I think 2018 could be a very big year for him. If we were to deal him, he'd be the centerpiece of the deal. He is going to finish in the top 4 ROY voting in the AL, and he'd be a top 2 candidate most years, but with Benintendi in Boston and Judge behind JMont, this isn't most years. I have a sneaking suspicion that Montgomery ends up being a top tier starter once he cleans up his command a bit more.

Any deal for Bumgarner would probably be hard to keep Torres out of. But I think we could do it. I'd probably deal off guys we aren't planning on using in 2018 for him. It would definitely hurt the depth, but it's a possibility
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You guys need a DH and have plenty of money to spend.

We'll give you HRam and Rusnet Castillo for 3-4 of these guys.

(LOL)
    LOL

I think Cashman will go hard after Santana.

By the way, good look trying to unload those guys (the same luck we need to trade Ellsbury)

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You forgot about Sonny Gray in the rotation Meh.

But you sure are thinking. Bumgarner would be a huge get, but as of now, he is currently off limits per the Giants. His shoulder injury scared me off a bit, but he did return to throw similar velocity and lefties in Yankee stadium typically do pretty well as the pull side is a deep part of the park. His contract is akin to Sale's with an option year in 2018 and 2019. He's also in his prime as he just turned 28. We have the prospects to do it, but you might be slightly overpaying in your deal.
    I overpay to get him. The only reason they would hold onto him is that he's a legacy, but I think we could give them a reason to trade him. I did forget about Gray, haha my bad. This team could be very deep. I hope Cashman has his scouts look for the next Hicks, Castro, etc. A good buy low guy who could rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Trade Ellsbury and cash to the M's.

See if the Cardinals or someone else will overpay for Dellin.

Trade Castro.

Sign Ohtani.

Let Cashman work his trade magic.

I'd see if CC wants to come back for 1 year 8 million and Fraizer for 1 year 3.5 million.

I'd also dangle Warren and Gardner, but for a high price tag.

Interesting

1. The only way I see for dumping Ellsbury is if we make him part of a bigger deal, still we'll need to eat a huge part of his salary

2. I think the Cubbies will be interested in Betances, in a cubs forum somebody suggested Betances for Schwarber, both are coming from down seasons, not sure who has the more value right now.

3. There won't be a short of suitors for Castro, a clear case of "Sell HIGH" candidate

4. Otani, if he comes to America we have o good chance but I feel he ends up with LAD

5. I'm sure Stealth Cashman will work his magic especially to shrink the 40 man pool

6. For CC I was thinking more like 1 at 10 plus incentives + an option which becomes guaranteed if he reaches some milestones (like IP)

7. No problem dealing Warren, but we still need Gardner as a safety net (I'm not completely sold in Hicks/Frazier) and as a mentor for some of the young guys, he's a positive presence in the clubhouse

A Schwarber for Betances deal gets done by Cash 100 times out of 100. It would also solve our DH issue without having to give out big money.

Ellsbury actually had a pretty good season and someone will want him to man CF. They will likely want him for a max of $7 mil per season. We'd have to eat some serious money to do it, but it can be done. I wouldn't eat any more than that

Castro will have a lot of suitors. His AAV is only $8 mil and he is still controlled cheaply by options for 2018 and 2019 with a more expensive option in 2020.

I think the Dodgers are still in their penalty phase

We will shrink the 40 man pool. I expect more shrewd moves

No more CC. If Tanaka opts out, we get Darvish. I can roll with a top 5 of Severino, Darvish, Gray, Montgomery and Adams. If we nab Otani too, sub him in for the #5.

If we deal Betances, we keep Warren.
    Hal sucks

For some reason cubs fans are down on Schwarber, I don't understand why, he had a down year, but the guy is a monster when he's on, still very young to fix whatever is wrong with him. Don't know if Theo and the rest of the FO are down on him too, if they are down on him, Cashman would be crazy not to call and ask what it would take to get him.

Schwarber doesn’t have a position in Chicago. He’s not really a catcher. He doesn’t have space at 1b. He’s an awful OFer. Schwarber should be in the AL and everyone knows it

Is he really bad in LF?

That bat plays anywhere.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

He came up as a catcher. He really should be a 1b. His UZR/150 wasn't as bad as I thought, but he clearly isn't going to be a long term OFer
    Hal sucks

A lot of buzz that Girardi won't be back.

The Yanks have an interesting way of doing business - the contracts of both Girardi and Cashman expire October 31 and there's no official word yet on either of them. Cashman will be back obviously. He has been one of the best in the business recently.

What's a little odd is that if in fact the Yanks don't plan on bringing Girardi back they're watching the pool of managerial candidates shrink. Maybe they already have their guy.

The Yankees aren’t the old George Yankees where you knew what he was doing before he did it. These Yankees are a lot more stealth. The fact that they haven’t publicly interviewed anyone tells me one of two things. Either they know Joe will be back, or they already know who his replacement will be. I think Joe should be back. After game 2 in Cleveland, I wasn’t tooting the same horn. But his team came to his rescue and that shows that they have his back, which is huge.