Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2017-2018 Hot Stove

You’re forgetting German who will be starting in AAA. Listen, I don’t turn my attention to anybody right now. If something falls into our lap, then great. We’re under the cap by a fair amount and we have every position covered and then some. I also think Wade wins the 2b job out of ST mostly because the Yankees will want Torres to get more seasoning but also to delay his clock. It also leaves Torres in play for both 2b and 3b should one of the kids fail. Lost in the system depth is just how good Wade is. High OBP, High average, his SB potential with slick defense. He reminds me of Brian Roberts.

I honestly think Cashman is going to be reactive from here on out. No point in being proactive and setting a market. No point in being the highest bidder. Also, with how the mid market guys have fared, we might be able to snatch a bargain from the bin who turns out to help us a ton. I’m still keeping an on Todd Frazier for right now. Moustakas sounded like a pipe dream, but his market is slow to develop as he never proved he was the guy he was in 2017 for any period of time more than a year. He might end up a pillow contract type and that would be amazing for us. Both those guys could end up elsewhere and we have the minor league talent to start seeing what we have.

How many teams have a legitimate ace, 2 legitimate former aces still in their prime, and a 4,5 like Sabathia and Montgomery? Not many teams. Now do those teams have a loaded AAA rotation behind them with 3 top 100 talents? Heck no. We have a stupid embarrassment of riches right now and we have no impetus to trade from it. Let it come to us

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You’re forgetting German who will be starting in AAA. Listen, I don’t turn my attention to anybody right now. If something falls into our lap, then great. We’re under the cap by a fair amount and we have every position covered and then some. I also think Wade wins the 2b job out of ST mostly because the Yankees will want Torres to get more seasoning but also to delay his clock. It also leaves Torres in play for both 2b and 3b should one of the kids fail. Lost in the system depth is just how good Wade is. High OBP, High average, his SB potential with slick defense. He reminds me of Brian Roberts.

I honestly think Cashman is going to be reactive from here on out. No point in being proactive and setting a market. No point in being the highest bidder. Also, with how the mid market guys have fared, we might be able to snatch a bargain from the bin who turns out to help us a ton. I’m still keeping an on Todd Frazier for right now. Moustakas sounded like a pipe dream, but his market is slow to develop as he never proved he was the guy he was in 2017 for any period of time more than a year. He might end up a pillow contract type and that would be amazing for us. Both those guys could end up elsewhere and we have the minor league talent to start seeing what we have.

How many teams have a legitimate ace, 2 legitimate former aces still in their prime, and a 4,5 like Sabathia and Montgomery? Not many teams. Now do those teams have a loaded AAA rotation behind them with 3 top 100 talents? Heck no. We have a stupid embarrassment of riches right now and we have no impetus to trade from it. Let it come to us
    For me the "dark horse" between the Yankees IF prospects is Thairo Estrada, he might be a ML regular or an improved version of Torreyes. If they trade Andujar, is because Cashman thinks this guy (or Wade) have a good enough upside to be ML regulars, after all you don't need an all-star in every position.

Estrada is a safe guy. He’s not the type of star player Gleyber can be. He isn’t as disruptive on the basepaths like Wade can be. He doesn’t have the overall package that Andujar has either. Estrada is a pesky small-ish guy who makes hard contact and is incredibly hard to strike out. He also plays really solid defense. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he ended up being a big league starter for 10 seasons, but he won’t be flashy at all

Every single FA gets linked to NY at some point. I briefly heard Alex Cobb, but that makes no sense.

The one name I recently read was Nunez and that makes a ton of sense. I’d start Nunez at 2b and let Andujar take 3b out of the gate. If Andujar falters, then move Nunez to 3b and bring up Torres once he shakes off the rust for a bit in AAA. I don’t fill both 2b and 3b with vets. But I’d be fine getting a guy capable of playing both

I'd rather get a sure glove guy as a veteran infielder than Nunez. I haven't seen Andujar play too much, but I have seen plenty of Nunez and I don't think he would be much of a defensive upgrade over Andujar. I'd be cool with Kendrick or Josh Harrison (although the price is probably too high for him) or Todd Frazier or Lowrie or heck even Stephen Drew. Then you can rotate some combo of Player A/Toe/Torres,Wade,Andujar and have them bat 8th & 9th.

We have good glove guys. Wade and Torres are good glove guys. Torreyes isn’t horrible. I’d rather not get a replacement level glove guy. I think Andujar has the skills to hit the crap out of the ball. I want him to get his chance. But Nunez would buy time for Torres and give Torreyes the boot long term

I agree that I'd want Andujar to get a chance. But Nunez is essentially the same player as Andujar (in terms of strengths/weaknesses), a pure hitting infielder with questionable fielding skills. I don't think you can have both of those guys on the 25 man roster. I doubt Toe is going anywhere, and Torres is almost certainly gonna start the season in AAA. So that leaves Toe, Wade, Andujar, and whoever else the Yankees add to field 2 starting spots and one utility role on the 25 man roster. If the Yankees sign Nunez then I think Andujar gets left off of the 25.. but if they sign a glove-first infielder, I think Andujar gets a spot and Wade is sent to AAA.

This is all just speculation though, for all we know Cash will swing a trade for Machado this week and make us all look like fools.

All-Star
    Wait for Neil Walker's price to drop, if you're going to sign someone. Or buy low on Profar.

Andujar has the tools to be a plus defender. He just isn’t yet. He’ll get there. I’m fine with him perfecting it on the job. Heck, Devers was terrible defensively but his bat carried. I’d be fine with that for sure assuming he grows

We signed Jace Peterson. Color me unimpressed

This "hot stove" has been boring, besides the Yankees-Stanton splash nothing has been really "hot"

There was a good article on ESPN (I know, an oxymoron) about how the time is now for Gleyber. There was another unaffiliated scout's take on the NYY farm system with the scout calling Gleyber a future 3-4 time all star before he hits FA. The pros are gushing over this kid, but the ESPN article hit the nail on the head. Our offense is going to be stupid good. Our 1-7 will be difficult for any team to hang with, hence we aren't looking for offense initially out of 2b and 3b. Torres is a plus defender already with the capability to be a GG winner one day (legitimately, not popularity based). So it is easier for us to carry a rookie who's bat may take a few months to arrive as long as the defense is there. The same may not be said about Andujar. Andujar's bat right now might be a smidge ahead of Gleyber's, but the defense is not. Andujar is a worker, and while he isn't destined to be a plus defender, he has the capability to be at least an average one. But he isn't one yet as his footwork still needs work. This leads to ESPN's logical conclusion that the Yankees are likely to sign a veteran 3b and plan to hand the job to Gleyber in May after he shakes off the rust in AAA (ie they delay his clock). While I wish we would just let Wade and Andujar start the year and have Gleyber take one of the jobs come May, I cannot disagree with their conclusion. If Andujar comes out slugging and hits .280 with 20HR but plays minus defense, he might have a positive WAR, but be a minus for us just because the offense is going to be tremendous anyway.
    Hal sucks

I just want to see Gleyber play again after the injury, I know is in his non throwing elbow but still concerned because he was not fully developed when it happened

Regarding Andujar, we don't need an allstar all across the diamond, I'm ok if he is a little bellow average as long as he keeps working in his flaws, the only problem I see, is that he will be pressured to perform while in the ML roster, in AAA he can keep working in his fielding.

The article I read from the scout did note his strong work ethic. He is apparently on the field 5 hours before minor league games working on his footwork, so his defensive shortcomings aren't from lack of trying. If he can play slightly below average D and mature as a ballplayer then we have something great. If he is Rafael Devers bad, then we need to ensure we are getting Devers' bat as well, which I don't think is in the cards for Andujar
    Hal sucks

Yeah, I read the same thing regarding Andujar, it looks like he's a strong character kid, it's the type of players Cashman is hoarding lately