Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton or Votto

Extend Pedroia? I don't think so. $25M is a bargain for Stanton. Sandoval, Hanley and Porcello will come to $60M in savings.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Which is why the Red Sox may not land J.D. Martinez or Eric Hosmer.
    They reset the luxury tax for a reason.

It's spending time.

The window is closing in 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Let me re-state this. Groome has little if any value. Yes, he’s regarded because of his stuff. But there’s a reason for the ridiulculous anagram TINSTAAPP. Pitchers get hurt. Pitchers lose the zone. Pitchers have a ridiculously high flame out rate, especially those highly regarded but at the lower levels of the minors. Add in the character concerns and the injury concerns and Groome gets you next to nothing in a trade. If he stays healthy and blazes through the minors, then that’ll change. There’s a reason why Cashman has been pilfering young arms for big league 40 man roster castoffs. The hit rate is so low that the risk afforded is low enough to overpay. Cashman has had a ridiculous hit rate for now, but it’s bound to correct.
    We got Pom for Espinoza. Long-away prospects have value.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Gammons might be a fool but Stanton will have a say where he plays. Gammons not only one that wrote it. That's why players put that in their contract. The right to Veto any Trade.
    Boston is not in rebuilding mode, so they have that going for them.
    I never said I felt GS would end up here. I'm fully aware of his right to veto a deal.

He may not want to come here, and the fact that we have not reached out to his agent does not concern me. (Wouldn't that be collusion anyways?)

My point is, we can afford him. He might want to come here to win a ring. He might prefer LA or SF.

We have other options, but I'd at least do my due diligence on GS before moving to someone else.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I stopped reading this fool years ago.
    Why? Most of the complaints about stuff he says are complete misquotes or people in denial.

I think the Sox will do their due diligence on Stanton. But ultimately Stanton will end up a Dodgers...

Legend
    I never said I felt GS would end up here. I'm fully aware of his right to veto a deal.

He may not want to come here, and the fact that we have not reached out to his agent does not concern me. (Wouldn't that be collusion anyways?)

My point is, we can afford him. He might want to come here to win a ring. He might prefer LA or SF.

We have other options, but I'd at least do my due diligence on GS before moving to someone else.
    We might have already, but we might 1 of the 5 teams he doesn't want to come too. This was according to Miami writer, I read in work. Might not be Boston either, writer wouldn't say which teams. One thing I'd rather have Stanton than Votto.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 11-04-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why? Most of the complaints about stuff he says are complete misquotes or people in denial.

I think the Sox will do their due diligence on Stanton. But ultimately Stanton will end up a Dodgers...
    I never like him, and I used to get the Globe everyday for decades.

I don't know about other people's complaints about him. I don't live in New England anymore and haven't since '04.

We might have already, but we might 1 of the 5 teams he doesn't want to come too. This was according to Miami writer, I read in work. Might not be Boston either, writer wouldn't say which teams. One thing I'd rather have Stanton than Votto.
    I'm fine, if we kick the tires hard and lose out.

Guys like GS don't come along often.

Legend
    Teams will be reluctant to repeat that mistake.

Espinoza was a year younger and was doing well in long season. Groome got lit up in A ball had to be demoted, then came back and got lit up again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Groome off the top 100 radar. Espinosa was top 25
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Teams will be reluctant to repeat that mistake.
    I bet not...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Espinoza was a year younger and was doing well in long season. Groome got lit up in A ball had to be demoted, then came back and got lit up again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Groome off the top 100 radar. Espinosa was top 25
    Low level prospects are often valued highly by GMs with long plans. Espi was not the first low level prospect to be traded for something good.

I realize Groome is no Espi, I admit, but to claim he has little to no value is a stretch.

The 19 year old was still ranked 87th at mid season by BA.

Yes, Espi got up to #15 mid season 2016 at age 15 with the Padres.

Gammons might be a fool but Stanton will have a say where he plays. Gammons not only one that wrote it. That's why players put that in their contract. The right to Veto any Trade.
    Boston is not in rebuilding mode, so they have that going for them.
    I would think the attraction of Boston being a contender would be enough to get Stanton to waive his no trade clause. However, I also think that if he has the opportunity to go to the Dodgers or Giants instead, he would choose them over the Sox. IMO, it's a moot point though.

Hey DD. This is your weekly reminder to go ahead and trade for Giancarlo. You have my blessing. DO IT. DO IT NOW!
    Thank you.
    other names i have posted under: none

Do we even know that the Red Sox are willing to play Benintendi in CF? If I had to guess the Red Sox starting nine next year, I would go with:

1b) Hosmer (I'm not supporting this, just saying that the rumors have been pretty clear about the Red Sox's interest).
    2b) M.Hernandez (with the C.Sale for Kopech/Moncada trade, 2b will likely be a position of weakness for the Red Sox for years to come. Thanks, Dave).
    SS) Bogaerts
    3b) Devers
    LF) Benintendi
    CF) Bradley
    RF) Betts
    C) Vazquez
    DH) Hanley

Bench:
    Swihart (I think he is the backup C in 2018).
    Brentz
    Marrero (good friends with Hosmer, the Red Sox main target, it appears).
    Holt??? (He might not make the final 25 man roster. The Red Sox might puruse a DH/1b type instead, another bat who can DH from time to time and give them a little extra thump).

When Pedroia returns, he could go to DH rather than 2b.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 11-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.