Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton or Votto

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Xander Bogaerts may well have diminished trade value after a somewhat disappointing season but the 25-year-old shortstop certainly has trade value after posting a combined 12.5 fWAR the past three years.
    I doubt his value diminished much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nobody wants Bogey. He's already in his 2nd year of arbitration. Sox will NOT get anything in value. Similar to Pedey. You couldn't even give Pedey away without even NOT getting a player in return. THINK ABOUT THAT!
    Nobody wants the 4th best SS WAR guy over the last 3 years combined, and who is making arb money NOT free agent money.

Are you serious?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Xander Bogaerts may well have diminished trade value after a somewhat disappointing season but the 25-year-old shortstop certainly has trade value after posting a combined 12.5 fWAR the past three years.
    I suspect the industry take is that last year was injury related and they will try to swindle the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    I suspect the industry take is that last year was injury related and they will try to swindle the Sox.
    Then, we say no and trade JBJ instead.

I'm not for handing any of our players away for less than their value, but we should explore all avenues on obtaining Stanton.

In 2017, Bogaerts had a 95 OPS+ and was below average in the field for a second year in a row. Sure, he has value, but his trade value is going to be impacted by his 2017 season. In general, major league teams don't like trading for players who are trending downwards. He could have a big comeback season; or he could be even worse in 2018. It is fair to assume that his trade value has been impacted by his 2017 season. I wouldn't do it. This isn't the time to trade Bogaerts--the return won't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    In 2017, Bogaerts had a 95 OPS+ and was below average in the field for a second year in a row. Sure, he has value, but his trade value is going to be impacted by his 2017 season. In general, major league teams don't like trading for players who are trending downwards. He could have a big comeback season; or he could be even worse in 2018. It is fair to assume that his trade value has been impacted by his 2017 season. I wouldn't do it. This isn't the time to trade Bogaerts--the return won't be there.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...61&position=SS

12th in the league in defensive WAR for SS. Cozart is 9th and he's a guy people are drooling over for some reason.

His defensive misgivings are overstated. It's not 2014 anymore. He's solid, but not spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Stanton. 1 million billion percent.
    Giancarlo freakin stanton. Please. Please dd. Make this happen.
    Thank you.
    other names i have posted under: none

Cozart is 9th and he's a guy people are drooling over for some reason.

Maybe it's the better-than-Bogey defense, the .385 OBP and the .548 SLG.

24 HRs in 122 games isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Stanton. 1 million billion percent.
    Giancarlo freakin stanton. Please. Please dd. Make this happen.
    Thank you.
    I feel pretty close to how I felt with Sale. Guys like Stanton only become available once in a long, long time.

We're talking about...

Giancarlo Freakin' Stanton!

Now, I want to know what they want in return, but I'm all ears, and I'm seeking ways to get the prospects they will want, even if it means trading JBJ or Bogey.

Two things concern me about Stanton. I don't want to be trading away JBJ <gasp!> or Bogaerts for a guy whom we're going to be paying millions of dollars for and who's going to walk in a couple of years. In order for me to be interested in Stanton that Opt Out clause has to go.

Also, whether his injuries are related or not, this guy has missed significant time in three consecutive years. That's Ellsbury-esque and I can remember that many posters on BDC wanted to be the ones boiling the tar and bringing the feathers to run Ells out of Boston. How many times does a player have to have unrelated injuries before he becomes injury-prone?

There's nothing we can do about the injuries and I'd (probably) swallow hard and make a trade involving one of the B's, but only without the opt out. Both together is too big a gamble. It reminds me of a young lady I knew once. She was very pretty and great in the sack, which make it easy to overlook the fact that she had a disposition like a pit viper. Sometimes it's easy to overlook shortcomings during the good times but sooner or later those bad times will come back to bite you on the ass.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Cozart is 9th and he's a guy people are drooling over for some reason.

Maybe it's the better-than-Bogey defense, the .385 OBP and the .548 SLG.

24 HRs in 122 games isn't bad either.
    32 years old with zero history of that level of production before - big time fluke rule candidate

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Two things concern me about Stanton. I don't want to be trading away JBJ <gasp!> or Bogaerts for a guy whom we're going to be paying millions of dollars for and who's going to walk in a couple of years. In order for me to be interested in Stanton that Opt Out clause has to go.

Also, whether his injuries are related or not, this guy has missed significant time in three consecutive years. That's Ellsbury-esque and I can remember that many posters on BDC wanted to be the ones boiling the tar and bringing the feathers to run Ells out of Boston. How many times does a player have to have unrelated injuries before he becomes injury-prone?

There's nothing we can do about the injuries and I'd (probably) swallow hard and make a trade involving one of the B's, but only without the opt out. Both together is too big a gamble. It reminds me of a young lady I knew once. She was very pretty and great in the sack, which make it easy to overlook the fact that she had a disposition like a pit viper. Sometimes it's easy to overlook shortcomings during the good times but sooner or later those bad times will come back to bite you on the ass.
    Good points.

Stanton did play 159 games this year. One injury was from getting hit by a pitch, so I wouldn't count that as being "injury prone".

I am a bit concerned about injury, but I am more concerned with JD Martinez's health.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    32 years old with zero history of that level of production before - big time fluke rule candidate
    Total fluke. No chance he does that the next two years.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Then, we say no and trade JBJ instead.

I'm not for handing any of our players away for less than their value, but we should explore all avenues on obtaining Stanton.
    No, we shouldn't. We might do it anyway, but Giancarlo Stanton is not a panacea. It's entirely possible to pay more for him than he's worth.

Personally I am keeping an eye on Eric Hosmer. He's not Stanton, but he'd be an upgrade on both sides of the ball and contract talks with the Royals seem troubled, we may be able to get our toe in and steel the guy, and he's really good, one of the major heroes of the Royals' 2015 postseason and 2014 near miss. If our problem is in the postseason, Hosmer looks to me like he'd be very helpful.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    No, we shouldn't. We might do it anyway, but Giancarlo Stanton is not a panacea. It's entirely possible to pay more for him than he's worth.

Personally I am keeping an eye on Eric Hosmer. He's not Stanton, but he'd be an upgrade on both sides of the ball and contract talks with the Royals seem troubled, we may be able to get our toe in and steel the guy, and he's really good, one of the major heroes of the Royals' 2015 postseason and 2014 near miss. If our problem is in the postseason, Hosmer looks to me like he'd be very helpful.
    Hosmer is near the bottom of my list. He will want and get at least 3 years- probably 4-5. He's not the guy I want to have at 1B for that long. He's not good fielder, and he's been up and down like a yo-yo.

Duda can probably be had for 1 year. He has better numbers over the last 4 years. He's no good on D either, but he has the best 1Bman ISO over the last 4 years.

We need power. Hosmer looks like 2017 might have been a fluke.