Register now to remove this ad

Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton or Votto

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm proud of you for asking that question! I think that that is the answer you probably expected as well. Butterfield is a good man. With people like him sometimes you can read between he lines. My guess is that deep inside, he didn't have much fun in that clubhouse this year. He deserves better.
    Contrary to the rumor I'd heard, Butter did want to stay with the Sox. He said he'd contacted DD and told him that since he was from Maine he'd been a Sox fan all his life and wanted to, as he put it, "Be buried in a Red Sox uniform". He also said that he "understood" the need for Cora to bring in his own people so he wasn't surprised that the Sox didn't rehire him.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

The Giancarlo Stanton renovations at Fenway have commenced.....

green monster.jpg
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    lol. if that is the case i wish he did that before giving price the worst contract ever written.
    The point was brought up that Dombrowski must not have really wanted Stanton because if he did, he would have offered enough to get the deal done, overpaying quite a bit if necessary. If Dombrowski has his sights set on a player, he will get him. We keep hearing that Stanton did not want to come to Boston, which might be true, but the impression that I'm getting from what I've read recently is that the Sox did not really engage that seriously in talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The point was brought up that Dombrowski must not have really wanted Stanton because if he did, he would have offered enough to get the deal done, overpaying quite a bit if necessary. If Dombrowski has his sights set on a player, he will get him. We keep hearing that Stanton did not want to come to Boston, which might be true, but the impression that I'm getting from what I've read recently is that the Sox did not really engage that seriously in talks.
    We'll be left to wonder if DD had seriously engaged in talks maybe Stanton might have had the Sox on his list.

I doubt it, but there might always be a "what if..." feeling.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    so it appears that DD has his sights set on Martinez - will he get him?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    He was a 2.8 WAR player last season in 133 games. Tell me more about him being "over rated"

"Below average offensive player"??? He has a 6.5 OWAR in 5 seasons. On what planet is that below avg?

To compare him to Darren Lewis is ridiculously stupid. Lewis had a 10 WAR over 13 MLB seaosons. JBj has 10.8 in 5....
    Darren Lewis with power. I didnt compare him to Darren Lewis. I compared him to Darren Lewis with power, and its not so ridiculous if you think about it. Players like JBJ are the reason why we don't get players like Stanton.

Redsox fans/FO overhype/overrate their middling talent to the point that better players go to smarter teams willing to make a move, or take a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    Darren Lewis with power. I didnt compare him to Darren Lewis. I compared him to Darren Lewis with power, and its not so ridiculous if you think about it. Players like JBJ are the reason why we don't get players like Stanton.

Redsox fans/FO overhype/overrate their middling talent to the point that better players go to smarter teams willing to make a move, or take a risk.
    And for less money!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend

Bradley is a quality starter.

We did not get Stanton because Stanton did not want to go to Boston, period. And since Jeter was not exactly fielding Stanton's input - the opportunity to expand his horizons was largely absent. If there was someone in the trade market worth trading JBJ, they'd deal him.

Deity

Bradley is a very, very good outfielder.

But the sillier part of this post is thinking how any fan overhyping or overrating has anything to do woth not getting Stanton. Seriously?

Deity
    so it appears that DD has his sights set on Martinez - will he get him?
    Not if we don't rearrange the OF....

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If we get J.D., I think Bradley will be traded for Abreu.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    If we get J.D., I think Bradley will be traded for Abreu.
    Possible.

Bradley is easily worth Abreu in a trade, with the only stumbling block being whether or not Hahn wants a player who only has 3 arb years left. Reportedly he balked at this offer once already this off-season.

If that is the case, deal Bradley for prospects or younger players (Cubs? Indians? Giants?) and send them to the White Sox...

Possible.

Bradley is easily worth Abreu in a trade, with the only stumbling block being whether or not Hahn wants a player who only has 3 arb years left. Reportedly he balked at this offer once already this off-season.

If that is the case, deal Bradley for prospects or younger players (Cubs? Indians? Giants?) and send them to the White Sox...
    Yes, and maybe add Travis or Ockimey, if needed.

Deity
    This is not some new revelation. Anyone who has followed the story knows that it has always been J.D's preference to play in the field. Unless DD can do a good job of stick handling the situation, Bradley has been in the trade lights for quite some time. I would hate to see him go but sign two good free agents and package him up and trade for more pitching and there you have it. Sounds easy doesn't it. I would also say that Martinez isn't the poorest fielding outfielder in the world either but I don't agree that the stats tell the whole story about Bogaerts at short either. They are both adequate or better and sometimes the trade offs with the bats are just worth it. Now - hit me with all of the statistical mumbo jumbo to show me just how wrong I am - Let's go.

This is not some new revelation. Anyone who has followed the story knows that it has always been J.D's preference to play in the field. Unless DD can do a good job of stick handling the situation, Bradley has been in the trade lights for quite some time. I would hate to see him go but sign two good free agents and package him up and trade for more pitching and there you have it. Sounds easy doesn't it. I would also say that Martinez isn't the poorest fielding outfielder in the world either but I don't agree that the stats tell the whole story about Bogaerts at short either. They are both adequate or better and sometimes the trade offs with the bats are just worth it. Now - hit me with all of the statistical mumbo jumbo to show me just how wrong I am - Let's go.
    I'm okay with Bogey at SS, and I don't need stats to support my position that he is, at best, a below average defender. Now that Cozart is gone, I see no option that looks good enough out there to warrant switching two player's positions (XB>SS & RD>1B/DH).

With our infield defense looking suspect, especially with Pedey our and devers learning on the fly, I'd hate to weaken our OF defense and CF to boot, but I realize our middle-order offense needs a big boost- mostly powerwise.

I'm not buying into the idea that we need to pay JD more to get him to agree to play DH. I'd offer him the max we think he's worth (maybe $155M/5) and tell Bore-A$$ take it or leave it. We might even have to give him a drop dead date, so we don't lose out on other options by waiting and waiting.

If we sign JD and Morrison, and then trade JBJ (and others like Holt, Marrero, Swihart or Travis/Ockimey plus maybe a low prospect or two) for a quality SP'er, I'd say we improved enough to be a top contender. I'd rather sign JD to DH, keep JBJ and then just sign a quality SP'er. Maybe add a cheap, 1 year guy like Duda to support HRam at 1B and offer a back-up DH when JD plays the OF.